Used 2008 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD

View reviews for a specific Silverado 3500HD model:

It changed my mind
By joe

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4dr Extended Cab LB DRW (6.0L 8cyl 6A)

This truck was my first Chevy in almost 15 years. I was a ford guy 100% till I actually put one of these to work. We camp a lot and we tow a Keystone Raptor 3612ds. This is a HUGE toy hauler!! I cant compare it to my ford as it was a 2002. But the Duramax/Alison match is awesome. I tow that trailer up the steepest hills in AZ at 55 MPH and the truck doesn't even break a sweat. My lease is up in January on this truck and I will be getting another. It has held its value very well and I have not had one problem with the build quality. I has gone back to the dealer for one minor recall and service. That's is no broken anything! I am a Chevy guy now

Favorite Features

Living in Arizona you cant beat the remote start.

Suggested Improvements

Bigger stock tires.

Not bad at all
By BINCS

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD LT1 4dr Crew Cab 4WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 6A)

I've had mine for 2 years now and never had a problem with mileage - 15/18. I use it a lot in the woods and never had a problem on or off road. I do agree the tires are too small for the truck (that was the very first thought when I saw it). But it's been a good truck that handled well on a WA to NJ road trip of 4000+ miles with a motorcycle and stuff in the bed ranging from twisting turning roads in Yellowstone to 90+ MPH straightaways in SD (milage goes to 14-15 at 90MPH).

Favorite Features

Engine - Powerful and quiet. I constantly get comments on how quiet it is. I also like the 40/60 split rear seat.

Suggested Improvements

BIGGER Wheels and tires.

Not what I expected
By Dan

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4dr Extended Cab 4WD LB DRW (6.0L 8cyl 6A)

A very strong tow vehicle and decent appearance.. but that is about it. The interior is very cheap with rattles since the first month of ownership. The blind spots are terrible. I average 11 MPG loaded or empty. As far as towing ability, no problem. As far as build quality... it's not what you would expect for a 48K truck. My F-350 was far more roomy and comfortable. Also the base tires are too small for the truck. The tail gate is flimsy.

Favorite Features

The cold weather starting is great. The engine is very quiet. It tows very well.

Suggested Improvements

Better interior materials. Larger tires. LED tail lights. The cloth material is about as this as a Kleenex.. not what you would expect for a HD truck. The factory radio sounds like a clock radio.

Very Happy with my Truck
By mike

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4dr Crew Cab LB (6.0L 8cyl 6A)

This is the first non big block gas truck that will actually tow and haul large loads without having a gear too high and a gear too low to tow with. The 6 speed with 4:10 gears works great and doesn't hunt. I can haul my slide in camper with a towed or hook on to the 30ft enclosed 6 place sled trailer and head to the mountains 1200 miles away. It handles remarkably well for its hulk size and the ride quality is excellent. I get 12-13 in the city and 14-16 on the highway which I can't complain. I had a 1500 5.3 which did great but I couldn't do anything with it. I have had absolutely no issues with this truck and love it.

Favorite Features

The whole truck is a total package. I ordered it with everything heavy duty. Dual batteries, camper mirrors and had to throw is the sunroof and power slider. I opted out for the DVD system as I can't watch it while I'm driving and deleted the cd changer as I just don't use them.

Suggested Improvements

Heater controls were a step backward to operate but they do everything for you. I just have to learn to keep playing with it. The heated wiper fluid is sweet on those frosty days as well as the remote start being standard.

Definitely Tougher Than Rocks
By Ezechiel Florea

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4dr Crew Cab 4WD LB DRW (6.0L 8cyl 6A)

This truck I bought last year new. I have already 65,000 miles on it. It broke at about 56,000 and now I'm getting 18MPG without the trailer on the highway. At first it got 12 and 14 at best with out the trailer. I haul 10,000-13,000 pounds all the time. You can go up and down moutains and it just keeps on moving forward. The Allison Trany and the Duramax makes the truck tougher and more reliable. It never broke down on me/never had a problem. I am always going to be a Chevy fan. The tow command is simple and very good to have. It helps out buy being easier on my truck brakes. Always has power to spare. I would recommend this truck to anyone that needs a tough reliable truck that will never stop.

Favorite Features

The Duramax and the Allison. The comfort and quality of the materials. The toughness of the truck. Also the Bose sound system.

Suggested Improvements

The truck's tires are too small. The rims need to be upgraded to the now style. Ford and Dodge have nice rims. The wheel wells are huge in the back. And the truck sits like a wedge.GM level your trucks!