Used 2005 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Silverado 3500 model:

Most Helpful|
My Review of my 3500 Chevrolet
By Andy Graves

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 4dr Extended Cab Work Truck 4WD LB DRW (6.0L 8cyl 5M)

My 3500 is the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned. If I hadn't bought this vehicle then I would be out of a job. When I looked at the price on my truck, I thought I would never find the vehicle I wanted. When I finally found my truck I thought I was going to faint. The salesrepresentative I spoke with was very understanding about my money problems. He gave me a good deal.

Favorite Features

My most favorite feature on the 3500 is the 4-wheel drive

Suggested Improvements

The only two improvements I can think of are the riding & the tire size. The riding is really rough but thats expected out of a truck. The tires could be an inch or two larger.

Engine warranty
By mike

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 4dr Crew Cab LT 4WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

This is a work truck and a daily driver. I tow a 7500 lb trailer 300-700 miles per week and it does the job. Mileage: 10 mpg w/ the trailer, 15-17 mpg w/out. Dealer performed all service Duramax diesel head gasket failed at 118k miles. Even after months of negotiations GM REFUSED to honor the Warranty! The repair cost $7500 out of pocket! I CANNOT recommend GM to anyone EVER again!

Favorite Features

towing capacity

Suggested Improvements

Seat comfort Warranty Engine reliability

DISAPPOINTED CHEVY OWNER
By MIKE

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 4dr Crew Cab LS 4WD LB DRW (6.0L 8cyl 5M)

I am very disappointed with my purchase of the Chevrolet 4X4 crew cab 3500 pickup. I am towing about 8000 lbs on a regular basis and traded a 2004 Toyota Tundra for the Chevy. This truck rides okay when not towing, but hook a 26' trailer to it and the ride is so uncomfortable you have to pull over every hour or so or it will beat you to death. It averages 7-9mpg and seems to top out at 60 mph on slight inclines. The Tundra by far is a better vehicle more leg room and the overall package is 100% better than Chevrolets "best towing truck" It is too bad as I have been a long time Chevrolet owner but this will be the last.

Favorite Features

The XM radio is nice

Suggested Improvements

The entire interior is very outdated, look at what the compettion is doing, most of us drive a lot of miles every year and need to enjoy our ride

Gutless Fuel Hog
By Loyal Stutzman

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 4dr Crew Cab LS 4WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

4.5 MPG loaded, 12 MPG empty! Duramax with Allison automatic transmision is a joke! Low power, worse fuel economy! This was by far the worst value for my money since I started buying vehicles in 1986! Will soon be selling this pile of junk for a more powerful, economical gas rig! I loved Chevy trucks until I bought this hunk of junk. You can't even start up an incline loaded without using low range 4X4! Forget quick take-off! Imagine 25 MPH uphill in the Rockies for miles and miles! Yes, I bought it brand new, had it dealer serviced right on schedule, all the updates they had, etc. and still no performance!

Favorite Features

Comfortable seats, good for hours of sitting. Plastic fenders don't dent, just break.

Suggested Improvements

Better fuel economy! Better power to the wheels! Shorter turning radius!

Unreliable engine/transmission
By Lloyd S.

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 4dr Crew Cab LT 4WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

Personal and business use. Duramax Diesel. Uncontrollable rpms while towing. Truck shut down to a crawl at freeway speed. Had to be towed to dealer. 7 days later, truck was repaired. Final analysis was a wiring harness failure. Has happened several time to date and will be seeking counsel to rescind my contract for a vehicle that I cannot depend on.

Favorite Features

The comfort of the leather adjustable seats. XM radio is really nice.

Suggested Improvements

Prior to signing/purchase, sales people need to be trained to use a check off list to go over with customer. This would insure that customer is aware of mechanical issues. For example, to date, no one has explained that this truck has a variable speed electric fan.