2005 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Silverado 3500 model:
Engine warranty
By mike on 08/22/10 11:12 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 4dr Crew Cab LT 4WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

This is a work truck and a daily driver. I tow a 7500 lb trailer 300-700 miles per week and it does the job. Mileage: 10 mpg w/ the trailer, 15-17 mpg w/out. Dealer performed all service Duramax diesel head gasket failed at 118k miles. Even after months of negotiations GM REFUSED to honor the Warranty! The repair cost $7500 out of pocket! I CANNOT recommend GM to anyone EVER again!

Love it
By KH on 01/30/08 17:15 PM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 4dr Crew Cab LS 4WD LB DRW (6.0L 8cyl 5M)

We love our truck! We pull a 4 horse trailer everywhere with it and really don't even feel it back there, even fully loaded. It is solid, runs great, and looks good going down the road.

Silverado 3500DRRW
By greasemonkey on 06/05/07 19:37 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 4dr Crew Cab LS 4WD LB DRW (6.0L 8cyl 5M)

Great vehicle, I have not had any problems at all so far. Regular routine maintenance. Will pull anything I give it. Duramax is the way to go.

Gutless Fuel Hog
By Loyal Stutzman on 08/24/06 19:52 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 4dr Crew Cab LS 4WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

4.5 MPG loaded, 12 MPG empty! Duramax with Allison automatic transmision is a joke! Low power, worse fuel economy! This was by far the worst value for my money since I started buying vehicles in 1986! Will soon be selling this pile of junk for a more powerful, economical gas rig! I loved Chevy trucks until I bought this hunk of junk. You can't even start up an incline loaded without using low range 4X4! Forget quick take-off! Imagine 25 MPH uphill in the Rockies for miles and miles! Yes, I bought it brand new, had it dealer serviced right on schedule, all the updates they had, etc. and still no performance!

Z-85
By Dale on 09/28/05 22:25 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 4dr Extended Cab LS Rwd LB DRW (6.0L 8cyl 5M)

What a truck. The Z-85 is a real looker and all that I expected. 20" wheels, 5.3L, 4sp with posi - what more could ya want ?

Unreliable engine/transmission
By Lloyd S. on 09/13/05 02:05 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 4dr Crew Cab LT 4WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

Personal and business use. Duramax Diesel. Uncontrollable rpms while towing. Truck shut down to a crawl at freeway speed. Had to be towed to dealer. 7 days later, truck was repaired. Final analysis was a wiring harness failure. Has happened several time to date and will be seeking counsel to rescind my contract for a vehicle that I cannot depend on.

RVing Truck
By Charles & Barb on 08/14/05 07:45 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 4dr Crew Cab LT 4WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

We have driven this truck on flat and in hills to mountains and it has never let us down. We live in a 5th wheel trailer and drive all over this country,on Interstates and dirt ,and this diesel just keeps driving with the rest of the traffic.

Chevy 3500 with a Recovery Solutions bed
By Mike on 08/07/05 01:01 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 4dr Extended Cab Work Truck 4WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I purchased an '05 3500 this year, and I have nothing bad to say about my truck. I have always been a Ford man, but after hearing about their problem with that 6.0 powerstroke motor, I decided to go with the Duramax, and let me tell you, it is the most fuel efficient, most powerful and responsive diesel I have ever had. I've gone though three different super dutys, and I am over the headaches with the Fords. The Ford may look meaner, but I have high hopes for my new Chevy.

Chevrolet C3500 evaluation
By Bill Riordan on 05/24/05 08:24 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 4dr Extended Cab LT Rwd LB DRW (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

This is an excellent vehicle, equipped with 6.6L Duramax diesel engine and Allison five speed automatic transmission. Have gotten 16 miles per gallon on highway trip, driving at the posted speed limit (70+).

My Review of my 3500 Chevrolet
By Andy Graves on 05/18/05 03:28 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 4dr Extended Cab Work Truck 4WD LB DRW (6.0L 8cyl 5M)

My 3500 is the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned. If I hadn't bought this vehicle then I would be out of a job. When I looked at the price on my truck, I thought I would never find the vehicle I wanted. When I finally found my truck I thought I was going to faint. The salesrepresentative I spoke with was very understanding about my money problems. He gave me a good deal.