Used 2002 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 Crew Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Chevrolet Silverado-3500 - Consumer Reviews

2002 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 Crew Cab

View reviews for a specific Silverado 3500 model:

Sad to part with old friend
By rick194

2002 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab LT 4WD LB DRW (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

It is now time to trade in the Duramax/Chevy. I have not pulled a trailor in the last 18 months so I am getting something smaller (Suburban). I have over 230,000 miles on it, averaged 17 mpg, pulled trailers from TX to 36 states. It brokedown twice. The alternator went out at 200K+ and a wire rubbed in two shorting out the electrical system at 180k+. The injectors were replaced under warranty and that was it, other than routine wear items, brakes, belts, hoses, ball joints. Do not need a truck like this any more but have kept it for 18 months because it is such a good one.

Favorite Features

Dependable, comfortable, and quiet. Still drives great going down the highway.

Good truck
By doug

I have had all three brands of trucks. This one hauls and rides the best. As far as reliability, I have been more than pleased. GM hit the right cue when putting this truck together. Duramax/Allison, best combination. I tow a 44 ft trailer @ 26000lbs and get 10-11.5 mpg. I will be hard pressed to go back to a different brand. Great work GM!

Favorite Features

Power, transmission always in the right gear. Excellent tire wear and very smooth ride when loaded.

Suggested Improvements

Interior materials could be higher grade. Improve the leather, thicker to not wear so fast. petty for a hauler. Larger fuel tank.

Big power
By Kurt J.

2002 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab LT 2WD LB DRW (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

This has been an allaround great truck. I use it for roadside service along with my firefighting duties and let me tell you i run this truck hard. Weather its passing a hemi (LOL) with the 8.1l engine or towing cars and boats with the Allison 5spd, it just dosent get any better. Add a few lil performance mods to the engine and holdon for ride (seems odd to others that i have a dually racing by them) i can tow anything ive been told to with no lag on this truck it always give the same great ride.

Favorite Features

Powerful 8.1l and Allison tranny. Ive been told by alot of people that have ridden in my truck that it's just a big caddy on steroids (in truck form)

Suggested Improvements

Better gas milage and get rid of that speed limiter 98 just isnt fast enoff (top speed for this truck is about 135 w/o it) :)

BIG BLOCK DUALLY
By Craig C.

This has been a great truck. It has plenty of power with the 8.1 motor and the Allision transmission. I am thinking of tradeing it in only to replace it with the same truck but with the Duramax diesel. I wish that the gas motor would do a little better on MPG. I can get around 12 MPG on the high way not towing. If I pull my 10,000 lb. trailer the best it can do is 8.5 MPG. I have talked to owners of the duramax and they can get 20 MPG!!! I like my big block and it has plenty of power but, gas is over $2.00 a gallon now so what can I do? I did not want to spend the extra $6000 for the diesel when I bought my truck.

Favorite Features

This is one nice riding truck. For a 1 ton truck to ride like it does is a dream. The seats are great for those long highway rides. I also think that this is the best looking dually that Chevy has ever offered with its smooth bed sides and raised stance.

Suggested Improvements

The only improvement that I could ask for is better gas mileage. I now that I have almost a 500 cuin. motor but,I think that it could do a little better. I have tried a few upgrades but, they did not seem to help. Over all a SUPER truck, buy one you'll love it too!!

Awsome Truck
By Travis Hendew

I like my truck.

Favorite Features

Motor

Suggested Improvements

None