Used 2008 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD

View reviews for a specific Silverado 2500HD model:

Great truck
By Neil

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD LT2 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 6A)

I chose this model as it could be converted to also use CNG and now I get about 20 mpg (CNG) on the freeway at 65 - 70 mph. With gasoline it would be 3 mpg better but CNG is $1.53/gal I use it in the mountains (+9000 feet) and it just goes anywhere. Upgraded to 285/75/16 tires for a snowplow (clearance) - Plow works fine with the 160 amp alternator. Replaced the catalytic converter in first year but otherwise no problems and I now have 34K miles and 2 years on it. I enjoy driving this truck. Its comfortable and rides easy. I tow a 8000 lb back hoe trailer with ease.

Favorite Features

6 speed transmission with the manual gear selection option. 4WD on the fly shift in to or out of 4HI.

Suggested Improvements

A 4WD indicator light on speedometer - the 4wd control is hidden by the steering wheel and gear shift. Larger tires.

Bad Mistake
By Ross

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD LT2 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 6A)

I bought my 08 2500hd 6.0 L used with 4k miles. It seemed really nice. Was told another dealership owned and went out of business. This pickup is a pile of CRAP, nice interior and exterior, but I buy vehicles for them to work. Horrible fuel mileage 12 max no matter what you are doing! Everything rattles, ride is so rough and loud. My 02 1500 5.3 L had more power and got same mpg pulling as 08 2500hd but way less empty. Not impressed with dealer either, can't even get in to get worked on. What a joke. I am going to buy back my 02 with 100k, 10 times the truck.

Favorite Features

Interior design

Suggested Improvements

power, mileage, ride, narrow tires look dumb

SOLD IT AFTER A YEAR. NOT WORTH THE $$$$
By Towing 4 a living

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD LT2 4dr Crew Cab SB (6.0L 8cyl 6A)

NOT WORTH THE MONEY. Was not happy with the following; the interior started rattling, air draft on driver side door which the dealer couldn't fix, terrible fuel economy, recall and RANCHO MTRS. in Victorville has poor customer service. So does the Chevy Hotline. I sold mine. Still got my 5.9 Dodge Ram 2500. DON'T BUY THE NEW CHEVY.

Proud Owner Of A 2500HD Silverado LTZ
By DMan

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD LTZ 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 6A)

I have owned this truck sense October 2008. Service has been performed as recommended. I have not had any major problems with this truck what so ever. Minor problems I have had are the belt noise due to the power steering pulley misalignment and the rear tire wear due to factory door sticker calling for 70psi for the rear tires. Dealer took care of all and installed two new tires on my truck. Dropped rear tire pressure to 60psi. No more wear, Love the 6.6 Duramax with the Allison. What a combination. Tons of torque, great performance for a diesel, and quite. Average fuel mileage 18.5 back and forth to work and 22.4 on my last road trip.(12/09).

Favorite Features

Duramax & Allision, ride, comfort, handling, bose sound system, driver controls lay out, LTZ features.

Suggested Improvements

Get rid of the tractor trailer chrome front bumper and the huge exhaust tip. Add Auto Selection For the 4X4 unit.

Top of the Hill
By Heavy Horse Hauler

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD LTZ 4dr Crew Cab 4WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 6A)

Finally purchased the best BigBoy toy available. The Duramax 2500 LTZ is the best of both work and play. Makes light work of pulling my horses. The leather loaded Escalade like interior makes an A+ ride.

Favorite Features

Power!

Suggested Improvements

None.