2008 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Work Truck Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Chevrolet Silverado-2500hd - Consumer Reviews

2008 Silverado 2500HD Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Silverado 2500HD model:

Sort Reviews by

There's nothing better for me.
By McLovin It!

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD LT1 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 6A)

I upgraded from a 2003 Chevy 1500 Z71 package. I'm towing a lot more now and I needed something with a little more umph. This truck has it. I thought about the diesel for this truck but I opted for the 6.0 because you never know when the prices are going to sky rocket again.

Favorite Features

I love the fact that the trailer brake box is built into the dash. So, no ugly box hanging down to knock your knee on. The second fact is the six speed automatic. I like you can put it into manual mode to shift it like a manual for the steep hills.

Suggested Improvements

A factory dualed off cat-back system with an air intake system to up the ponies a little more.

Best Diesel on the Market
By Brandon

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD LTZ 4dr Crew Cab SB (6.0L 8cyl 6A)

I have had my Silverado for over a year now with no problems to report. The Duramax/Allison is an absolutely amazing combination, leaves the competition in the dust. My only complaint was the small wheels and tires from the factory. Overall, an excellent built truck period.

Favorite Features

Duramax Diesel/Allison 6-Speed Automatic Tranny.

Suggested Improvements

At least an 18" wheel/tire combo or even better a 20" option like the 1/2 ton versions.

What a piece of junk
By nick barta

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD LT1 4dr Crew Cab SB (6.0L 8cyl 6A)

This is by far the worst vehicle I have ever owned. The interior started rattling after 2500 miles. The chrome on the grill peeled after one winter in Montana. The new exhaust system is a joke. I had this truck in the dealership eight times in the first six months of which two required towing it there. The tranny fails to shift out of 5th gear after busting through heavy snow drifts. Off road traction is terrible this truck won't drive through 3 inches of snow without putting it in 4wd. Fuel economy is decent when it's empty. It gets 14 to 18mpg at 75mph. A light 16ft interstate cargo trailer will bring that down to about 9mpg. My truck is for sale and you couldn't give me another one

Favorite Features

love the power! Integrated trailer brakes- why was this not done years ago?

Suggested Improvements

Build a truck! this is a 4wd luxury car with an 8ft bed not a truck. I actually call it my car now it's not worthy of being called a truck.

New believer
By Towing 4 a living

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD LT2 4dr Crew Cab SB (6.0L 8cyl 6A)

Got the 6.6 Duramax diesel with the Alison 6 speed. Rated #1 for 08. Tows like a champ, Plenty of power. LT2 package, rear differential locker, Bose speaker package, OnStar, XM radio. I added a spray in bedliner and sliding 5th hitch too. My opinion is that Chevy is far superior to Dodge Cummins 5.9L. Go get one.

Favorite Features

The interior has a nice look and feel. Gotta feel good when your in a truck as long as I am.

Suggested Improvements

Small stock tires, size is 245. I upgraded to 285s. Looks good now.

Duramax 4x4
By Toyaholic

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD LTZ 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 6A)

The Duramax is quiet, smooth and powerful. 0-60 times that will make most cars see your tail lights. The interior of the LTZ is all luxury, void of squeaks and rattles on the roughest roads. The Bose 6 disk is very impressive for a factory system using a center placed subwoofer and 6 speakers. Smoother, stronger and better mileage than the 6.0L 2005 2500HD it replaced.

Favorite Features

Sunroof, interior (that's what you see the most), smoothness and of course, power!

Suggested Improvements

Bring back the sunvisor slide outs. The sun can sneak between the visor and the mirror. Open the front fenders to allow for a little larger tires. Don't like the "hippo on rollerskates" look. Make the factory LTZ rims polished. The stock LTZ rims are ugly!

Best Truck
By JLT

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD LTZ 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 6A)

Got the 6.6 Duramax with the Alison 6 speed, only way to go! Did my Consumer review research and found Chevy diesel rated the best all round of the Big 3 for 08'! Can't even complain about the mileage. Adverage of 18 mpg, 21 mpg at 55-60 crusing the interstate (unloaded). Love how the Alison tranny grabs hold of the engine when the tow mode is turned on and sounds awesome. I got he 17" rims with my truck which I highly recommend.

Favorite Features

Bose speaker system, interior design has all kinds of room and is very attractive yet tough! Rubber floor mats was an excellent idea. Remote start for the cold mornings and hot days!

Suggested Improvements

Wish the 08 had the back-up camera which I see now is availible on the 09. I agree that a 4X4 indicator light in the dash would be nice.

Excellent Truck
By Army EOD

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD LT2 4dr Crew Cab SB (6.0L 8cyl 6A)

Ok I have had this truck for a week and I love it. I traded in my 07 1500 LS Crew Cab with a 4.8L because it didn't tow my trailer as good as I wanted. After dirving this truck for a week it flat out performs my 07, in every aspect. You can feel the power difference in the 08. Gas mileage has been good for me as well. I averaged 18.3 on the highway last night going 75-80 for 300 miles round trip. I guess with some mods it should get better. Not a fan of the smaller looking tires on this truck. As big as this truck is you would expect tires that fill the wheel wells. Again this is an excellent truck all around Great job GM.

Favorite Features

Power! Interior is not too shabby, have a little better than a 2LT but not as much as an LTZ

Suggested Improvements

Tire size this truck demands bigger tires. Seats hurt my back but I guess I just need to adjust them to me (same as the 07 1500 was). OnStar offers hands free phone for a fee. Why can't I program my phone thru the truck and use the onboard system hands free.

Still a quality truck
By RDD

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD LTZ 4dr Crew Cab SB (6.0L 8cyl 6A)

This is my 6th Duramax (and still have the 5th) and I love the new interior design with Nav and DVD players. Sunroof definitely better too. My only complaint is the new emmissions equipment really chokes this thing and kills mileage; I get 14 in town and 18 highway with some modifications. For those wanting a better ride, try a front leveling kit with longer shocks; it helps tremendously. Also try a cold air intake and bigger exhaust; helped my mileage alot.

Favorite Features

LTZ interior, navigation, sunroof, Duramax/Allison combo unbeatable.

Suggested Improvements

Figure out a newer, better emission system. Front fender openings too small for those wanting to add a larger tire size. Maybe offer rubber floor with LTZ package.

Great truck!
By Jaboba

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD LT1 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 6A)

This is my first deisel and I love it! This thing tows my toy hauler trailer like it's not even there. I have had no issues at all and I have 4K miles on it. I get 12- 13mpg towing and 15-16mpg not. My brother has the Dodge and I feel that the motor in the Chevy feels much more refined.

Favorite Features

Duramax/Allison

Suggested Improvements

4X4 light on dash when engaged. It's easy to forget that it's in 4 wheel drive.

Great Truck
By Joe

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD LTZ 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 6A)

I have always been a Ford guy, but when shopping for the F250 versus Silverado 2500, I thought the Chevy had a better ride, a nicer interior, a the dealer was very aggressive in terms of pricing. Mileage has been OK so far, well within my expectations. Also, very pleased with the looks of the truck.

Favorite Features

The interior and ride was what sold me. The diesel can pull more than anything I will ever need to pull. And it's a very queit motor once warmed up.

Suggested Improvements

Being picky, the truck should come standard with running boards/steps. I've put on some after markets that look great. The bed rails should also have protection. Again, after markets look great. Also, the interior door panels are just a little plasticy. Really not much to complain about.