Used 2006 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD

View reviews for a specific Silverado 2500HD model:

OK
By 67getx

2006 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD LT1 2dr Regular Cab 4WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 5M)

I bought my truck with 5300 miles on it. I was replacing a '98 Xtra Cab GMC that I loved. This truck does what it is supposed to do. I pull a 18' trailer regularly and it does fine. It has a rougher ride and the seat is not comfortable to me. They raised the body from the older ones so you have higher to lift things into the bed. Gas mileage is about what I expected. The transmission slipped and the dealer replaced my convertor. No other problems since. Has more wind noise in the cab than the 8 year old truck I got rid of.

Favorite Features

I like the look of the truck. The 6 L engine is peppy but not as torquey as my old 454.

Suggested Improvements

More comfortable seats, better gas mileage.

Like a rock
By slick86

2006 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD LT2 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

This is a very good truck. It has done everything I've expected it to do and more for a 2500 series truck. I would highly recomend it to any one wanting a big truck

Favorite Features

It's the smootest riding 2500 and love the push button 4 wheel drive

Suggested Improvements

For GM to make adjustable pedals in their trucks

Best Diesel Truck
By chivo

2006 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD LT1 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 5M)

I had a 1500HD with the 6.0 before this one and loved everything but the gas mileage. Then I got the LBZ Duramax and love it! The mileage, HP & TQ are amazing. I especially enjoy the manual transfer case I was lucky to get my hands on. Only one issue and thats the driver side suspension knocks occasionally. I think it may be due to the weight of the D-max. Other than that, I love it!

Favorite Features

The interior room, Duramax engine, Allison transmission with manual transfer case.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the pitman and idler steering issues. Wish it had a Dana 60 front axle rather than the IFS

Duramax is great
By kacansas

2006 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD LT2 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

This one of the best vehicles I have ever owned! That is out of 40 to 50! It has never let me down and has helped me help other in deep snow, on ice, in the heat and in the cold. It has a Cadillac ride plus the capacity to tow a house! What more can you want from a vehicle? Good ecomony for what you drive? Well it delivers on that too! I have gotten over 27 mpg highway and get 22 city all the time! Yeah I know I can get a hybrid that can do 50 mpg but it can't do anything but hual me. My truck can do a lot more so I love my truck!

Favorite Features

Engine, economy, comfort, OnStar, quality of build, low maintenance cost. Great transmission, and all around good engineering! Good job GM!

Suggested Improvements

Relocate the climate controls higher on the dash.

Get a Crew Cab, It's worth it!
By Mr Moose from Maine

2006 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD LT1 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 5M)

I did a lot of research before I bought a new pickup. I've owned pickups from all of the "Big 3" and had no great loyalty to anyone. I spoke with several ME game warden's who drive thier trucks in all types of weather and off road conditions, and they all said Chevy's were the best. I was undecided about an X-tend or Crew cab, went with the Crew cab. It's longer, harder to dock, uh park, but the convience of the 4 doors is worth it. Drives well, rides great. Load it up and it rides like a Cadillac. The longer length takes some getting used to, and the gas mileage isn't bad for a 300HP engine. If you take it off road make sure you have plenty of room to turn around. You'll need it! Overall, very happy!

Favorite Features

The plow package makes installing a plow easy! The locking rear differential really locks! 1000% better then Ford or Dodge's joke "Limited Slip" The overhead swivel reading lights are great. Why didn't anyone think of them sooner? The towing package is 100% ready to tow, hook and go! Great visibility all around.

Suggested Improvements

Get rid of the 40-20-40 seat. No one can sit in the middle of it. Move the cup holders off of the floor and make the console bigger. How about a choice of rear axle ratios 4.10 3.73 or 3.55? Bigger stock tires, the 245's look like donuts in the wheel wells. Get the G-80 locking rear end, it's worth it!