Used 2006 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Chevrolet Silverado-2500hd - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Silverado 2500HD model:

No:1 truck to buy
By homealone069

2006 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD LT2 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I have a 2006 Silverado Pickup,2500 HD 4x4.I've owned chevy's most of my life,because of the performance,and reliability.This truck from the first day going out hunting,going through scrub-oak,blazing new trails,climbing the sides of mountain's on the nastiest roads you ever want to imagine,going through water 3 feet deep,and it keeps on going.When I needed the power it was there,wether pulling a trailer up 6% grades in 6"s of mud,and it never quit.I've done all these things will my truck,and its still in great shape,and it has never been in the shop for any malfunctions.They just need to make the front bumper narrower,and raise the truck about 2"s higher.Thats the only change there shouldbe

Favorite Features

The pulling capabilities,are fantastic you set the cruze at 70 mph,and it will stay there at all times.The 3/4 ton will hold 3800 lbs.of weight without the front end coming off the ground,that's almost 2 ton's.The handling is fantastic,once you get a 4 wheel alignment,you will feel the difference.Just touch the steering wheel and it performs,plus the turning radious is great.From the turning lane you can make a u-turn,Ford has to back up inthe middle of the turn to continue on.The seating has plenty of leg room,and comfort,I'm 6'3"and I'm comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

Raise the 4x4's up 2",get rid of those girly bumpers in the front.If your in the woods going through heavy brush,and you have to back up.The black skirting on the bumper comes rite off.Let's build a truck,thats unbeatable.Dodge has the rite idea but there performance sucks.When your in the woods water can be 3' deep,rut's can be up to a foot deep or more,you have a great truck,with plenty of performance.Don't worry about height,the people will still get in and out.Put the fog lamps resest in the corners and the tow hooks on the chasy with the medal pan in the front,it will look cool,remember its a truck.Get it off the ground,same thing with the colorado,it looks like a girly oversized car.

Just don't Know
By Eric

2006 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD LT1 4dr Extended Cab SB (6.0L 8cyl 5M)

Well I guess my roots run deep with GM. Got the truck used off a dealer lot with 90000 miles on it. While test driving the truck it performed and looked in excellent condition. The motor and tranny on this truck, as previous GM trucks I've owned is stout and reliable. Now, As for every thing else well lets just leave it at that for now. Owned a 98 Gmc before this one and it was one of the best vehicles Ive owned, but in the recent years I've heard and witness a lot of bad rap from GM and was skeptical of buying another. I guess it was the love for that bowtie.

Favorite Features

Plenty of power for me. The bucket seats are very comfortable and the extended cab version has plenty of room for kids.

Suggested Improvements

What is up with chevy and this interior it is crap and its not the design and looks that bother me. Its the fact that the first time I drove it at night I noticed that some dash lights were dimm or just not working at all. Oh by the way it cannot be fixed unless your some of electrial engineer.

Transfer Case
By jrmcmaster

2006 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD LT3 4dr Crew Cab 4WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

Transfer case totally shot at 70,000 miles. Started malfunctioning within first year. Chevy did not back it. $2850 to replace.

Suggested Improvements

Better Transfer Case.

huge fuel filter problem
By hughessk

2006 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD LT1 4dr Extended Cab 4WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 5M)

this is a great truck as long as you only use premium fuel and drive it in warm climates. the fuel filter will clog if you use bio fuel, or a lower grade fuel. when the filter clogs the engine will go into a 2000 rpm lockdown and will not shift. this will happen even after truck is warm,the first time you try to merge onto the expressway in rush hour traffic, at 25 degree weather and snow covered road, YOU WILL BE IN FOR THE RIDE OF YOUR LIFE or FOR YOUR LIFE. I have 900000 miles on this truck and have had to replace the fuel filter ($35) 11 times??? I have purchased fuel from 15 different stations. CHEVROLET SOLUTION " use premium fuel, Use an addative($11)and let the truck idle 20 minutes

Favorite Features

this truck " WHEN IT RUNS" will pull anything I can load on my trailers

Suggested Improvements

FIX THE FUEL FILTER PROBLEM THAT YOU KNOW IS A MAJOR SAFETY ISSUE.

Nice Ride
By Robert

2006 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD LT3 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I now have 67000 miles on my Silverado and I still love it. The LBZ Duramax has never had a wrench on it and the Allison transmission is bulletproof. I regularly tow 10K lb. loads with it and it get 12-13mpg at 80mph through the North Carolina foothills. The ride is exceptionally smooth when compared to my two previous SuperDuty trucks. I got 26mpg on an unloaded trip over three different tanks of fuel averaging 60mph. Great quality. Great resell value. I would definitely consider buying another when the time comes...

Favorite Features

excellent power, transmission always knows where to be, comfortable interior

Suggested Improvements

too much plastic on interior, factory tires are wimpy - it should come with at least 265/75R16 tires like the ford and Dodge trucks