Used 2005 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Silverado 2500HD model:

Comfortable & reliable
By G Nizin

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4dr Crew Cab LT Rwd SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

As with my previous Silverado, this vehicle has proved to be reliable,and comfortable. It is used to pull a utility trailer, & has done so, with no problem. OnStar is great for peace of mind & XM for entertainment on the long hauls.

I want my 2001 Back
By jdgreen402

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4dr Crew Cab LT 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

To say that I am very dissatisifed with my 2005 is an understatement. The Duramax is 1/3 more thirsty than my 2001. The Allison transmission has now started to intermittantly refuse to allow the engine to rev past 2000 RPM or it cuts itself out. The driver's side window is continuing to leak air. The air leak on the passenger side has us traveling with a blanket if the outside temps drop below 20 degrees. When I get the Allison to shift properly ... I'm heading to my local Ford dealership!

The ride of the Chevy is its only saving grace.

Quality, Quality, Quality!!!

Great D-Max
By dtroop

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4dr Crew Cab LT 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

Even before any addons this truck got good highway mileage(17/19)at 65/70. With the addition of K&N, Superchip, and 4"turbo/back, this truck hauls AND gets great mileage (19/22) at 65/70 mph..Combined city\highway is an easy 17mpg..Pulling a 16000# 5th wheel before mods, mpg was 10/12, but now I can hardly wait to see what the mileage will be. Also a very roomy, quiet, and comfortable truck on long trips. The BOSE sound, and XM radio make long hours on the road even more enjoyable. I drive a Ford 4x4 company truck, and there is NO comparrison.

Tight handeling and manuverability. A great ride, and plenty of power.

Intigrated trailer brake controller,auto darkening trailer mirrors,electric radiator fans,better computer programers.If superchip can do it,why can't G.M.? Also, a 4' stock header back system like Dodge(ouch).

2005 Chev Duramax
By Richard

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4dr Crew Cab LS 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 5M)

Having driven 1/2 tons for several years this is my first HD and I consider a "real truck". Very comfortable for the family and we don't even notice the sound of the Duramax listening to XM on my bose speakers. Love towing our 5th. wheel and recently did a long vacation trip through 4 states. Kind of reassuring having been approached many times by "old timers" just to tell me what an awesome tow vehicle we have. Have not had any problems in the first year and look for many more to come. (former Dodge truck owner).

If you're looking for a tow vehicle this has plenty of power and the best transmission on the market. Much more quite than the dodge or ford diesel. Comfortable interior (Highly recommend the leather), looks great and fun to drive.

Fuel MPG. I'm sure you heard stories about what good fuel mileage can be expected w/diesel eng. "NOT TRUE". It's sure better than a gas engine but let the truth be known. With my stock Durmx/Allison trans I get 19 mpg freeway, 16 mpg city, 12.5 towing 10K 5th. wheel. Not bad at all.

Mileage Stinks
By Jdgrn4ever

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4dr Crew Cab LT 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

Having owned a '01 Duramax, I have to say that I'm very disappointed with my '05. Having averaged 22 mpg with my '01, going down to 15 mpg with my '05 is very disturbing. Coupled with the fact that my dealership is encouraging me to purchase an after- market performance chip in the hopes that the mileage may improve 3 or 4 mpg. The truck's ride is much better than a Ford or a Dodge. However, personally, I liked the styling of my '01 better. With the slant-eyed headlights, it would seem that the final design of the '05 front-end came out of Hong Kong. If you don't mind spending 1/2 of your time at the gas station, buy a new Chevy Duramax. Else, do what I am ... consider buying a Ford.

Interior. 5 - Disk CD. XM Satellite.

GM has to return the MPG of their Duramax to the '01/'02 levels. Milage of 15/16 MPG is completely unacceptable for this generation of engine/transmission combination. Loaded, most are lucky to get between 10/12 mpg. The engine design staff at GM should be shot for ruining this motor.