Used 2005 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Silverado 2500HD model:

'05 GMC
By kruzan

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 5M)

Great truck, '05 GMC Sierra 2500HD Duramax is the king of diesels. Wish it had bigger wheels/tires(17-18"), and the interior stinks if trying to sleep. Front seats do not recline all the way, very uncomforable to sleep in. I drive long distances through the night at times and know I cant sleep in this truck. Only mechanical drawback/weak link is the Allison transmission. It is weak and needs more beef, especially in the torque converter and C3/C4 clutchs.

I like the stereo and the design of the stock wheels, just wish they were a little bigger.

Allison transmission is weak! Needs a better torque converter and clutch. Block needs studs instead of head bolts. Driver's side exhaust manifold is crimped/choked down for no reason. Better seats that recline all the way.

Good Truck
By milo

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4dr Crew Cab LT 4WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I bought this truck to pull a camp trailer. It is a 6.0 turbo diesel and I get about 15 mpg pulling an 8000 pound trailer. It is strong and fast for a large truck. Quarter mile is under 12 seconds. The only bad thing about this truck is a low ground clearance, so I plan on putting a lift for higher clearance, and also a Banks big hoss power package on it for more power.

All things about this truck are great. Better than any truck I have ever owned

I plan on putting mud flaps, window visors, a 6 or 7.5 inch suspension lift, bigger tires, and a Banks big hoss bundle power upgrade

Great truck
By Michael

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4dr Extended Cab LS Rwd SB (6.0L 8cyl 5M)

I bought this truck to tow my fifth wheel camper. It does an excellent job in towing. I can cruise the highway at 70 mph with no problem and get about 10mpg. Going back and forth to work I get about 15.5mpg. This isn't 4wheel drive , thats why I get such good mileage, but I never got stuck in the winter and I live in Buffalo NY. I have 20K miles on it and the only problem I've had is with the blower switch in the #1 position. This truck is a real eye catcher and little kids have told me it's a cool. All in all I'm very pleased with this truck and would take it over a foreign one any day!

High ride profile, looks mean. Great ride, handling, trailering. Very comfortable interior.

I wish it came with bigger tires, they look a little small.

2500hd
By bbardoni

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4dr Crew Cab Rwd SB (6.0L 8cyl 5M)

This is my daily driver and I get an avg. 17.0 mpg. I use my truck for towing a 5th wheel camper (33') and while towing I get 12-13mpg @ 65-70mph.

Redundant radio controls, power extend mirrors

More boost of course to make play even more fun

By Andria

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4dr Crew Cab LS Rwd SB (6.0L 8cyl 5M)

After 17 months of owning this truck and 30,000 miles of hard towing ruff winter driving, I love this truck. Not one thing has gone wrong, only routine maintance done. This truck drives the same as it did 17 months ago. Big and roomy for the kids we take this truck on all of our family outings, it's like driving a luxury car. I get about 18 miles per gallon going 65/75 on the hihgway and about 15 in the city. Hauling I get about 14MPG fully loaded of 12,000lbs towing. Cannot complain. I also used Biodiesel in my truck and got great gas mileage. almost 20MPG on highway. Plus the engine ran better. Just can not find it where I live. Buy this truck.

Allison transmission by far is the best.

Better tires. The ones that come with the truck stink. Need a new set after 22,000 miles. Going with a taller and wider tire. 265/75/R16 this should solve my problems with the tires going bald in a year while towing.