2005 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Extended Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Silverado 2500HD model:
A member of the family
By BRUCE on 03/26/10 15:14 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab LT 4WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I purchased this vehicle with 8000 miles on it, a dealer demo model. It has been an awesome truck: strong, durable, versatile, dependable. Been a lot of things that I cannot count on in my life but this is definitely a machine you can count on. I tow an 11k fifth wheel with it with no problem and even with this load it handles great. Even with a five speed this vehicle exceeds my expectations of performance. Never put gasoline in them by accident though. I did, but even then, a quick trip to the dealer and she still runs like new. Also, I had a friend with a Ford 250. We both got caught in a hailstorm. His hood had dents all over it. Mine had none! Stronger sheet metal too! Yep.

Long Term Review
By RetiredGuns on 08/24/09 18:27 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab LT Rwd LB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

Duramax/Allison HD LT. This has by far been the absolute best Truck I have ever owned, bar none! In 35 years I have owned all Big 3 Trucks, this is an nearing an excellent choice. I get 22 MPG HWY, 17 City, and 12 with a Truck Camper and 5K LB Boat trailer. If you are considering this model in the used market, make sure LOF's were done, and you'd have a gem through 300K miles easy! It's a joy to operate this machine. I have kept it mostly stock with the exception of replacing the Gum Wrapper bumper with an aftermarket Ranch Hand 300 LB thick Steel Tube/Diamondplate one, providing substantial front end protection. This truck is a winner all around otherwise. I'd NEVER consider an impor

Best truck ever
By jimjim190 on 08/20/08 17:15 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 5M)

I bought this truck new. It's the best, and I have not had a single problem. I put a 6in lift with dual front shocks, and 36x12.5x20R on the truck. It keeps it riding like a truck, I also put intake, programmer and exhaust on it. That's all it needed, it does anything and goes anywhere. Wouldn't change a thing on it.

'05 GMC
By kruzan on 10/23/06 09:38 AM (PDT)

Great truck, '05 GMC Sierra 2500HD Duramax is the king of diesels. Wish it had bigger wheels/tires(17-18"), and the interior stinks if trying to sleep. Front seats do not recline all the way, very uncomforable to sleep in. I drive long distances through the night at times and know I cant sleep in this truck. Only mechanical drawback/weak link is the Allison transmission. It is weak and needs more beef, especially in the torque converter and C3/C4 clutchs.

Great truck
By Michael on 08/15/06 19:12 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab LS Rwd SB (6.0L 8cyl 5M)

I bought this truck to tow my fifth wheel camper. It does an excellent job in towing. I can cruise the highway at 70 mph with no problem and get about 10mpg. Going back and forth to work I get about 15.5mpg. This isn't 4wheel drive , thats why I get such good mileage, but I never got stuck in the winter and I live in Buffalo NY. I have 20K miles on it and the only problem I've had is with the blower switch in the #1 position. This truck is a real eye catcher and little kids have told me it's a cool. All in all I'm very pleased with this truck and would take it over a foreign one any day!

2005 2500HD Duramax
By Duramaxpower on 08/02/05 16:25 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab LS 4WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 5M)

I have to say this truck is awsome! I own several semi trucks and Chevrolet has spent alot of time designing this Duramax. I have the LLY and I pull a 10,000lb trailer and don't even know it's back there! The best thing they could do for this truck is ride height increase! It's no taller than a Colorado! But overall, it's one tough truck! The Duramax is the quietest diesel on the market! I put a K&N air filter in with no increase in fuel mileage but, I am averaging 17mpg. city driving mostly.

2500 HD silverado EXTENDED CAB LT
By george bowdoin on 07/03/05 00:52 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab LT 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I spend at least 4 hours and 225 miles a day - 5 days a week, driving the '05 Silverado. Safety, comfort, and performance is a requirment for the truck I drive. This truck fulfills these requirments very nicely. The truck's four wheel disk brakes enables it to stop {loaded-3200lbs} quickly and safely. The interior is quiet and spacious. The large 8 way adjustable seats are akin to the recliner in my den. The lofty view of the road from this seat is unparalelled to any truck I have driven. The 6L engine enables me to move 3,000 lb. loads with ease. With the cruise control set, interstate driving is a pleasure with no downshifts for grade changes.

SILVER BULLET - (DURAMAX / ALLISON)
By Big AL on 06/17/05 00:54 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab LS 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 5M)

Traded a great '04 Loaded LS Crew Cab SWB 4x4 W/LB7 D-Max & Allison in for Loaded LS Extended Cab 4x4 W/LLY D-MAX & Allison. Ride is much firmer, but this truck is 10" shorter than my other truck; therefore the reason for the firmer ride. I think the extended cab SWB in the 2500HD's look better than the rest, but this is soley my opinion. My LLY is getting 2 MPG (17.1 HWY)less than the LB7 was(19.2 HWY). Still decent MPG for a 402 CID engine. If you plan on keeping the truck for a long period of time or if you drive many miles yearly, get the D-MAX, either with auto or standard transmission. Overall, it will cost you less at the pumps than the gas engines, will last longer & have a higher resale.

Good work truck
By das on 02/17/05 10:11 AM (PST)

No problems great work truck, hauls 2 yards of wet top soil with ease. Pulls 7,000lbs trailer with ease in fast lane.

This truck is the best
By mike onofrio on 01/22/05 19:56 PM (PST)

Everything on this truck is great. From the nice sounding 6.0 to the comfortable ride it gives. Plus this truck is very roomy and very very powerful!