Used 2005 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Extended Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Extended Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Silverado 2500HD model:

A member of the family
By BRUCE

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab LT 4WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I purchased this vehicle with 8000 miles on it, a dealer demo model. It has been an awesome truck: strong, durable, versatile, dependable. Been a lot of things that I cannot count on in my life but this is definitely a machine you can count on. I tow an 11k fifth wheel with it with no problem and even with this load it handles great. Even with a five speed this vehicle exceeds my expectations of performance. Never put gasoline in them by accident though. I did, but even then, a quick trip to the dealer and she still runs like new. Also, I had a friend with a Ford 250. We both got caught in a hailstorm. His hood had dents all over it. Mine had none! Stronger sheet metal too! Yep.

Turbo diesel, long bed, Cruise control, leather seats, led temperature reading in the rear view mirror, smooth transmission.

Spray in bed liner, heavier springs in the back, tighter turning radius

Long Term Review
By RetiredGuns

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab LT Rwd LB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

Duramax/Allison HD LT. This has by far been the absolute best Truck I have ever owned, bar none! In 35 years I have owned all Big 3 Trucks, this is an nearing an excellent choice. I get 22 MPG HWY, 17 City, and 12 with a Truck Camper and 5K LB Boat trailer. If you are considering this model in the used market, make sure LOF's were done, and you'd have a gem through 300K miles easy! It's a joy to operate this machine. I have kept it mostly stock with the exception of replacing the Gum Wrapper bumper with an aftermarket Ranch Hand 300 LB thick Steel Tube/Diamondplate one, providing substantial front end protection. This truck is a winner all around otherwise. I'd NEVER consider an impor

Visibility, comfort, durability, CD/Cassete Radio. Cloth seats over cracking leather for me. Long term reliability overall. One tough truck to beat in any way! I like the way it looks and performs! I'd recommend the GM for almost any personal or buisness use. USA Pickups are still superior IMHO!

In 2007 the 6th gear was activated, too expensive to upgrade this one! Greasable/Servicable front wheel bearing, BOTH failed@ 55K miles, unacceptable at over $1,000 replacement cost. The Cruise Control cost me a $500.00 ticket 2 weeks after owning because it crept up on it's own, AFU No Correction.

Best truck ever
By jimjim190

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 5M)

I bought this truck new. It's the best, and I have not had a single problem. I put a 6in lift with dual front shocks, and 36x12.5x20R on the truck. It keeps it riding like a truck, I also put intake, programmer and exhaust on it. That's all it needed, it does anything and goes anywhere. Wouldn't change a thing on it.

The look, the ride, and hey it's a Chevy.

I wish it would have come like it is now so it would all be under warranty, but hey- then yours wouldn't be unique after you do what you want to it, right?

'05 GMC
By kruzan

Great truck, '05 GMC Sierra 2500HD Duramax is the king of diesels. Wish it had bigger wheels/tires(17-18"), and the interior stinks if trying to sleep. Front seats do not recline all the way, very uncomforable to sleep in. I drive long distances through the night at times and know I cant sleep in this truck. Only mechanical drawback/weak link is the Allison transmission. It is weak and needs more beef, especially in the torque converter and C3/C4 clutchs.

I like the stereo and the design of the stock wheels, just wish they were a little bigger.

Allison transmission is weak! Needs a better torque converter and clutch. Block needs studs instead of head bolts. Driver's side exhaust manifold is crimped/choked down for no reason. Better seats that recline all the way.

Great truck
By Michael

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab LS Rwd SB (6.0L 8cyl 5M)

I bought this truck to tow my fifth wheel camper. It does an excellent job in towing. I can cruise the highway at 70 mph with no problem and get about 10mpg. Going back and forth to work I get about 15.5mpg. This isn't 4wheel drive , thats why I get such good mileage, but I never got stuck in the winter and I live in Buffalo NY. I have 20K miles on it and the only problem I've had is with the blower switch in the #1 position. This truck is a real eye catcher and little kids have told me it's a cool. All in all I'm very pleased with this truck and would take it over a foreign one any day!

High ride profile, looks mean. Great ride, handling, trailering. Very comfortable interior.

I wish it came with bigger tires, they look a little small.