Used 2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD

View reviews for a specific Silverado 2500HD model:

2500HD Crew 4wd
By glen

2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4dr Crew Cab LT 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I love the truck. I have always driven Fords, but the big block gas engine can't be beat. I get all of the torque and HP of a diesel without the smell and noise. It will pull anything you attach to it (including stumps and trees much to my wife's dismay). The trailer towing package makes hooking up a trailer a breeze. The truck drives better with 10,000 lbs than empty. You can expect to pass everything except a gas station. (avg 10 mpg, but I didn't buy it for gas milage) The comfort is great on trips and I can carry everthing I may need or want with room to spare. The rear seat entertainment is unbeatable for the kids. They will sit in the truck to watch DVDs more than in the house.

Favorite Features

Power. Rear seat entertainment, XM radio, OnStar. Tons of interior room, even more carrying room with rear seat folded down. I've tried to get it stuck, but the 4wd works great (it does need to come with real off-road tires and room to upgrade to larger 36" tires without a lift kit)

Suggested Improvements

Less cheap plastic on the dash. Making the seat belts where they are not tugging all the time (the location is too low for anyone 6' or taller). The electronic speedo is poor quality, went out before 50,000 miles. It really needs a factory backup camera for hooking up trailers with out a spotter.

55,000 miles, perfect truck
By Up Hill

2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4dr Crew Cab LS 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 5M)

Performance, outstanding. Acceleration with a full load or with a heavy trailer is all I could want. Comfort. This is a 3/4 ton truck, so with that understood it is very comfortable. We have driven 24 hours straight more than once with no complaints. Fuel economy. Duramax/Allison gives me 17.5 mpg since new with 50/50 mix of hwy/city mi. 19.9 mpg with light load at 65 mph. Amazing for 3/4 ton 4X4. Fun to drive. Well, OK I guess, for a truck. Build quality, reliability. I have had no failures of any kind in 55k. Exterior design. Who thought up the stupid slant-eyed headlights? Ugly, ugly. There is little to find fault with, and much to like.

Favorite Features

Power, torque, comfortable interior. I got the base fabric interior with the split bench seat; great arrangement. The power extending mirrors are great if towing a trailer.

Suggested Improvements

Except for the stupid headlight design, nothing comes to mind.

Excellent Truck
By WHG4AU

2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4dr Crew Cab LS 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 5M)

I purchased this truck brand new from the dealer and have been extremely satisfied with it so far. The interior comfort is fantastic for a guy 6'8". Performance is great except for the fuel mileage. 13 MPG is my average around town. I added an Airade intake and a throttle body spacer along with a Flowmaster exhaust and it sounds and performs great! Terriffic power and reliability. Comfortable ride with a car-like feel. I fully recommend the Chevrolet 2500HD trucks!

Favorite Features

Built-in XM radio and steering wheel mounted audio controls!

Suggested Improvements

Better fuel economy. This truck would be absolutely perfect if you could average 16-18 MPG!

My best truck ever
By mam643

2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4dr Extended Cab LS Rwd SB (6.0L 8cyl 5M)

I've had this truck since new in '04. A truly fantastic truck to drive and tow with. The Durmax engine with the Allison tranny is a superb setup. The best GM has ever put out. I think the ride is a bit rough when empty though. I may try upgrading to new shocks and tires here soon.

Favorite Features

Duramax and Allison transmission

Suggested Improvements

Tougher metal in the bed rails

Real truck
By cwbyfan

2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4dr Extended Cab LS 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 5M)

I just recently bought this truck almost a month ago and I absolutly love it. Gas milage stinks but it's a beast so what can you expect? I have the 6.0l engine and it sounds great with dual Flowmaster 40 series. I have noticed the turning radius is not all that great. I do like the gooseneck hitch in the back as I have towed a horse trailer with 6 horses in it. I also regularly tow a 22ft party barge. I would definitely recomend this to anyone who wants a real truck.

Favorite Features

Tow haul selector, interior comfort, back seat is spacious.

Suggested Improvements

Fix that stinking turning radius. It is awful