Used 2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD

View reviews for a specific Silverado 2500HD model:

Great Truck
By chriss8935

2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4dr Extended Cab LT 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

This is an excellent truck, I have the duramax allison combo and get 18-20 mpg just can't complain for an almost 8,000lb truck. I pull campers all over US and Canada and have 176,000 miles on it as of now and have had no problems. I have heard of people saying that the LLY duramax have overheating issues but I have pulled over 26,000lbs in over 100 degrees and have no overheating issues what so ever. Of course I drive easy in those temp's with that much weight. I love this truck and it has paid for itself three times over. Keep up the good work Chevrolet.

Favorite Features

Heated leather for the long drives, Bose radio and smooth ride. Also Onstar is great.

Suggested Improvements

truck needs "auto pilot" so I can sleep and make money at same time,LOL. I am sure if I really thought about it I could come up with some improvements, but a truck with 176,000 miles and has made me over $150,000 I don't think I am going to nit pick.

I'd buy another but I doubt I'll have to
By joemtf

2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4dr Crew Cab LT 4WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I've had Chevy trucks in the past and when I was looking for I new one, I decided to expand my search. I test drove a Ford F250. I liked the power and looks but I was cramped in the seat and it felt like I was driving a covered wagon. An insurance adjuster said to stay away from the Dodge. They won't hold up as well in an accident as the Ford and Chevy. So I bought a new 2004 Chevy Duramax 2500HD, LB 4x4 and I love it! I have 110,000 miles and a steady 16.9 mpg here in Colorado. We haul two ATV's on a bulldog carrier in the bed and pull a 26 ft. travel trailer through the mountains with no problem. The only mods are an air intake system and air bags in the back. Zero problems!

Favorite Features

It has a very comfortable interior with great power and reliability. The mpg is above average for this size truck and it's not as tall as other makes so I can enter parking garages.

Need another one
By Miss My Chevy 2500HD

2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 2dr Regular Cab Rwd LB (6.0L 8cyl 5M)

Best truck or car I ever owned. I miss it. I traded it in on a 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee...mistake! If you never owned a Chevy truck, do yourself a favor and get one. The strongest, hardest working truck/car out there.I had the HD and I'm going to get another even if gas goes out of site price wise. I had Corvettes, Z-28 (1994), Mustangs, Dodge Ram (2001) and many other cars (Jeeps..etc.) and the only one I miss is the Chevy Silverado 2500HD. 12-15 miles per gal. Wish that was a little better, but my weak Jeep only gets 16 - 18 miles per gal, and the Jeep already has a transmission leak! Get a Chevy.

Favorite Features

Power. Hauling. Strong. Do yourself a favor and get a Chevy truck.

Suggested Improvements

Maybe a little better on gas milage, but not if it means giving up the power, and strength!

Excellent truck
By chriss8935

2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4dr Extended Cab LT 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I have owned this truck for over three years and it is my second Duramax. If you do proper maintenance these trucks will last a very long time. I have over 600,000 miles on my first Duramax and it's getting tired, and I just don't trust it real far anymore although I still drive it around the farm and into town. I drive my trucks very hard and I do not have time for breakdowns, so if you are looking for a hard working truck that will last look no further, Chevy has outdone themselves.

Favorite Features

Towing power of the Duramax Allison combo, comfort, reliability.

Suggested Improvements

The only thing I would change is to put the heated seat buttons in the center console instead of on the doors. Tired of reaching across the truck to turn on passenger seat for warm up.

Great work truck
By mike3939

2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4dr Crew Cab Work Truck Rwd LB (6.0L 8cyl 5M)

This truck really pulls. My trailer is 34' and heavy. This truck will pull the load up hill and pass most anything on the road. The brace running up the rear wheel wells lacks class. 13 MPG or 10 MPG towing. The gas engine was considerably less expensive to buy, maintain, and unleaded is fuel is cheaper. Glad I choose a gas engine.

Favorite Features

Pulling power

Suggested Improvements

Rear wheel well brace and better gas mileage.