Used 2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab

View reviews for a specific Silverado 2500HD model:

Reliable ride
By Sam

2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab LS 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 5M)

156,000 miles of towing, hauling, and mountain driving as a contractor and hunter the only problems Ive had are the wheel bearings and prndl switch needed to be replaced. As comfortable as long distance driving in an HD pickup is really gonna get. Interior layout is well thought out but materials are slightly cheap. Leveled out with 33" mud tires I still get about 16 mpg in town and 20 mpg on the highway. With a heavy job trailer it doesn't pull quite as strongly as I would like but I don't think anything ever will. Off road capability is as good as it needs to be.

Suggested Improvements

The only improvements I would make have been made, more power, stock exhaust brake, updated exterior design and improved interior materials.

I'd buy another but I doubt I'll have to
By joemtf

2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab LT 4WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I've had Chevy trucks in the past and when I was looking for I new one, I decided to expand my search. I test drove a Ford F250. I liked the power and looks but I was cramped in the seat and it felt like I was driving a covered wagon. An insurance adjuster said to stay away from the Dodge. They won't hold up as well in an accident as the Ford and Chevy. So I bought a new 2004 Chevy Duramax 2500HD, LB 4x4 and I love it! I have 110,000 miles and a steady 16.9 mpg here in Colorado. We haul two ATV's on a bulldog carrier in the bed and pull a 26 ft. travel trailer through the mountains with no problem. The only mods are an air intake system and air bags in the back. Zero problems!

Favorite Features

It has a very comfortable interior with great power and reliability. The mpg is above average for this size truck and it's not as tall as other makes so I can enter parking garages.

Great work truck
By mike3939

2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab Work Truck Rwd LB (6.0L 8cyl 5M)

This truck really pulls. My trailer is 34' and heavy. This truck will pull the load up hill and pass most anything on the road. The brace running up the rear wheel wells lacks class. 13 MPG or 10 MPG towing. The gas engine was considerably less expensive to buy, maintain, and unleaded is fuel is cheaper. Glad I choose a gas engine.

Favorite Features

Pulling power

Suggested Improvements

Rear wheel well brace and better gas mileage.

2500HD Crew 4wd
By glen

2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab LT 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I love the truck. I have always driven Fords, but the big block gas engine can't be beat. I get all of the torque and HP of a diesel without the smell and noise. It will pull anything you attach to it (including stumps and trees much to my wife's dismay). The trailer towing package makes hooking up a trailer a breeze. The truck drives better with 10,000 lbs than empty. You can expect to pass everything except a gas station. (avg 10 mpg, but I didn't buy it for gas milage) The comfort is great on trips and I can carry everthing I may need or want with room to spare. The rear seat entertainment is unbeatable for the kids. They will sit in the truck to watch DVDs more than in the house.

Favorite Features

Power. Rear seat entertainment, XM radio, OnStar. Tons of interior room, even more carrying room with rear seat folded down. I've tried to get it stuck, but the 4wd works great (it does need to come with real off-road tires and room to upgrade to larger 36" tires without a lift kit)

Suggested Improvements

Less cheap plastic on the dash. Making the seat belts where they are not tugging all the time (the location is too low for anyone 6' or taller). The electronic speedo is poor quality, went out before 50,000 miles. It really needs a factory backup camera for hooking up trailers with out a spotter.

55,000 miles, perfect truck
By Up Hill

2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab LS 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 5M)

Performance, outstanding. Acceleration with a full load or with a heavy trailer is all I could want. Comfort. This is a 3/4 ton truck, so with that understood it is very comfortable. We have driven 24 hours straight more than once with no complaints. Fuel economy. Duramax/Allison gives me 17.5 mpg since new with 50/50 mix of hwy/city mi. 19.9 mpg with light load at 65 mph. Amazing for 3/4 ton 4X4. Fun to drive. Well, OK I guess, for a truck. Build quality, reliability. I have had no failures of any kind in 55k. Exterior design. Who thought up the stupid slant-eyed headlights? Ugly, ugly. There is little to find fault with, and much to like.

Favorite Features

Power, torque, comfortable interior. I got the base fabric interior with the split bench seat; great arrangement. The power extending mirrors are great if towing a trailer.

Suggested Improvements

Except for the stupid headlight design, nothing comes to mind.