2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Work Truck Crew Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Sort Reviews by

Reliable ride
By Sam

2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab LS 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 5M)

156,000 miles of towing, hauling, and mountain driving as a contractor and hunter the only problems Ive had are the wheel bearings and prndl switch needed to be replaced. As comfortable as long distance driving in an HD pickup is really gonna get. Interior layout is well thought out but materials are slightly cheap. Leveled out with 33" mud tires I still get about 16 mpg in town and 20 mpg on the highway. With a heavy job trailer it doesn't pull quite as strongly as I would like but I don't think anything ever will. Off road capability is as good as it needs to be.

Suggested Improvements

The only improvements I would make have been made, more power, stock exhaust brake, updated exterior design and improved interior materials.

I'd buy another but I doubt I'll have to
By joemtf

2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab LT 4WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I've had Chevy trucks in the past and when I was looking for I new one, I decided to expand my search. I test drove a Ford F250. I liked the power and looks but I was cramped in the seat and it felt like I was driving a covered wagon. An insurance adjuster said to stay away from the Dodge. They won't hold up as well in an accident as the Ford and Chevy. So I bought a new 2004 Chevy Duramax 2500HD, LB 4x4 and I love it! I have 110,000 miles and a steady 16.9 mpg here in Colorado. We haul two ATV's on a bulldog carrier in the bed and pull a 26 ft. travel trailer through the mountains with no problem. The only mods are an air intake system and air bags in the back. Zero problems!

Favorite Features

It has a very comfortable interior with great power and reliability. The mpg is above average for this size truck and it's not as tall as other makes so I can enter parking garages.

Great work truck
By mike3939

2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab Work Truck Rwd LB (6.0L 8cyl 5M)

This truck really pulls. My trailer is 34' and heavy. This truck will pull the load up hill and pass most anything on the road. The brace running up the rear wheel wells lacks class. 13 MPG or 10 MPG towing. The gas engine was considerably less expensive to buy, maintain, and unleaded is fuel is cheaper. Glad I choose a gas engine.

Favorite Features

Pulling power

Suggested Improvements

Rear wheel well brace and better gas mileage.

2500HD Crew 4wd
By glen

2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab LT 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I love the truck. I have always driven Fords, but the big block gas engine can't be beat. I get all of the torque and HP of a diesel without the smell and noise. It will pull anything you attach to it (including stumps and trees much to my wife's dismay). The trailer towing package makes hooking up a trailer a breeze. The truck drives better with 10,000 lbs than empty. You can expect to pass everything except a gas station. (avg 10 mpg, but I didn't buy it for gas milage) The comfort is great on trips and I can carry everthing I may need or want with room to spare. The rear seat entertainment is unbeatable for the kids. They will sit in the truck to watch DVDs more than in the house.

Favorite Features

Power. Rear seat entertainment, XM radio, OnStar. Tons of interior room, even more carrying room with rear seat folded down. I've tried to get it stuck, but the 4wd works great (it does need to come with real off-road tires and room to upgrade to larger 36" tires without a lift kit)

Suggested Improvements

Less cheap plastic on the dash. Making the seat belts where they are not tugging all the time (the location is too low for anyone 6' or taller). The electronic speedo is poor quality, went out before 50,000 miles. It really needs a factory backup camera for hooking up trailers with out a spotter.

55,000 miles, perfect truck
By Up Hill

2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab LS 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 5M)

Performance, outstanding. Acceleration with a full load or with a heavy trailer is all I could want. Comfort. This is a 3/4 ton truck, so with that understood it is very comfortable. We have driven 24 hours straight more than once with no complaints. Fuel economy. Duramax/Allison gives me 17.5 mpg since new with 50/50 mix of hwy/city mi. 19.9 mpg with light load at 65 mph. Amazing for 3/4 ton 4X4. Fun to drive. Well, OK I guess, for a truck. Build quality, reliability. I have had no failures of any kind in 55k. Exterior design. Who thought up the stupid slant-eyed headlights? Ugly, ugly. There is little to find fault with, and much to like.

Favorite Features

Power, torque, comfortable interior. I got the base fabric interior with the split bench seat; great arrangement. The power extending mirrors are great if towing a trailer.

Suggested Improvements

Except for the stupid headlight design, nothing comes to mind.

Excellent Truck
By WHG4AU

2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab LS 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 5M)

I purchased this truck brand new from the dealer and have been extremely satisfied with it so far. The interior comfort is fantastic for a guy 6'8". Performance is great except for the fuel mileage. 13 MPG is my average around town. I added an Airade intake and a throttle body spacer along with a Flowmaster exhaust and it sounds and performs great! Terriffic power and reliability. Comfortable ride with a car-like feel. I fully recommend the Chevrolet 2500HD trucks!

Favorite Features

Built-in XM radio and steering wheel mounted audio controls!

Suggested Improvements

Better fuel economy. This truck would be absolutely perfect if you could average 16-18 MPG!

My review
By matt

2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab Rwd LB (6.0L 8cyl 5M)

The HD model rides quite well and has good power. The interior is comfortable and looks good, but does need more useable storage space and more cup holders. The truck has been trouble free for two years now

Favorite Features

The look and feel of the interior. The good amount of power that the 6 liter puts out. The quality of the ride

Suggested Improvements

As always, more power, more cup holders, and usable storage space. Need more tie down hooks in bed

You Gotta get one!
By EJWHITT

2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 5M)

I have had a GM truck since 88. This is by far the finest truck i have owned. the Duramax/Allison combo has performed flawlessly. it has delivered power and dependability that to this day still satisfies my decision to forgoe the LT 5.3 gasser and go with the LS diesel. I travel for my job and use this as a sales vehicle. No regrets. I put 285's on and the truck looks great!

Favorite Features

Powertrain, ride looks

Suggested Improvements

Bigger tires, stock 245's are pitiful looking

King size Cadillac
By Ryan

2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab LT Rwd SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I was almost convinced to buy into the 4 door Tundra until I opted to go with bow tie muscle. This is my first Silverado and I will never drive another brand again. Im stuck with GM for life now. This truck has it all. More power than the others and a lot of nice ammenities come with the LT package. Still working up the miles on her. No problems at all. All I receive is compliments on my truck and the Silverado wave from other Silverado drivers. You must drive one to appreciate it. You dont gain much from a quick test drive. Find a friend or family member with one and take it for a spin. You will be sold on Silverado.

Favorite Features

Power, XM, On-Star, style, dependability. Ive added splash guards, nerf bars, a K & N filter and a Flowmaster's 50 series dual in, dual out system with 2 1/2" pipes out the rear. Opens up that nice V8, gives it a lot more kick and it sounds mean, like a truck should! Hemi what? Ford who? Like a Rock

Suggested Improvements

Go up a tire size to 265's instead of 245's. Factory installed splash guards would be great too.

What happened to fuel mileage?
By gdsbls

2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab LT 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

Second 2500HD we have owned in three years - love em'. But what happened to the fuel mileage. Our 02 HD got 16-18 and this one might get 11 on a good day. 04' has more horsepower and added features. Pulls anything from our equipment to our camper with no problems. Rides good for an HD. Much more room than the Dodge or Ford - but with this fuel mileage (diesel) we may have to give up some comforts and switch over for the first time ever - and we currently own 5 GM products.

Favorite Features

Transmission,Duramax Engine,heated seats,sterero controls in back of console added,improved tailgate design

Suggested Improvements

Improve Fuel Mileage, Dual Tanks for HD, put the console in the backseat that was there in the 02, built in brake control, better quality leather