2003 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Silverado 2500HD model:
Chevy the only Truck
By Grayman on 04/02/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4dr Extended Cab LS 4WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 5M)

This is my first 2500HD, I've had Blazers, Z71's, and a 02 Tahoe. This is by far the badass. I love every minute i'm in it. When I'm not in it I'm thinking about it. It's truly the Hammer

I Love my Duramax
By Meyer DW on 04/01/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4dr Extended Cab LT 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I have enjoyed my truck very much and it has not had 1 problem yet. Mine has been modified with a performance module,exhaust system and a air induction system. My corrected mileage as I have 305x70 tires is 19.5 to 20 mpg in the city and about 22-23 mpg on the highway. This is not bad from a truck that is running over 400 hp.

Beward of 4WD problems
By tractorboy on 03/27/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4dr Crew Cab LT 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

"Service 4WD" warning constantly comes on. 4WD now doesn't work at all. The truck has already spent 10 days in service departments (I've only owned it for 3 months). The power windows failed, the radio stopped working, and the A/C went out. They've been able to fix everything but the 4WD/Transfer case problems. First it was a "software update". Then it was a "control module". Then it was an "encoder motor". They finally admitted they can't fix it. To make things worse, GM isn't backing it up. This is absolutely the worst truck I've ever owned and it only has 4,000 miles on it.

Lousy
By Skags on 03/18/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 2dr Regular Cab LS 4WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 5M)

This is a lousy vehicle. Should have bought a Ford. From being four inches higher to a six speed manual transmission that is virtually impossible to use to a crack under the center seat which lets things fall onto the floor to annoying reflection from the radio lights on the rear window, this truck is totally unworthy of the name Chevrolet. Its no wonder sales are down 27%.

I LOVE THIS TRUCK!
By nineseas on 03/14/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4dr Crew Cab LS 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 5M)

I drive to work and look over the traffic. I can see a backup in time to take an exit. The Personal Driving electronics is a great help to stay off the gas, but the power is there when needed! God Love American V-8s! When I get to work I want to go drive somewhere for lunch. I can drive my friends now that I have 4 doors. My S-10 wouldn't let me take 'the gang'. My 12 yr old son loves to climb up into the truck and then as we drive, he can look over the guradrail into the countryside. My neighbor has an older Chevy diesel and you could hear the pride as he talked about HIS Chevy and 150000 miles already. I'm a Chevy Man, man!

good truck
By mdje on 03/11/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4dr Crew Cab LT 4WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

no problems better than any ford ever built

A good towing truck
By joeinsanjose on 03/04/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4dr Crew Cab LT 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

Good points: Crew cab comfortable for 5 people. Towing capability is superb. Quiet for diesel. Bad points: Alarm for "Service 4WD" go off at 1,100 miles. Limp to dealer and he resets computer. Turns out it's a known software glitch. Still, I was hundreds of miles from home and it shouldn't happen to a new truck. The tranny has a temp gauge but it's separate from other gauges so you have to keep looking back and forth. No huge deal but a small ergonomic detail that could be improved. Otherwise, we are very happy with it. Will let you all know the score after 10,000 miles. We are at roughly 2,000 miles now. Joe.

Great truck
By Jerrygee on 01/27/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4dr Extended Cab LT 4WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

Almost 500 cubic inches and the 5 speed Allison automatic transmission makes for plenty of towing and hill climbing power. Gas mileage is better then what you would expect at 12+ MPG on the highway when not towing, but watch the mileage plummet when pulling a load. Reliability has been perfect at 11 months and 17,000+ miles of ownership. Interior is spacious, rattle free and quite. Ride is a little harsh, but don’t forget, it is a truck! My only complaint is the Allison transmission does “spaz out” every now and then and gives me strange downshifts when coming to a stop or “clunks” when first going into drive in the morning.

Best 2500 or 3500 out there
By Big daddy Hung Low on 01/07/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4dr Crew Cab 4WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 5M)

I had a 1500 GMc, I had an f150 supercrew. I towed my trailer with the Ford and eventually realized I needed a 3/4 ton truck for towing a travel trailer. These HD trucks are basically 1 ton trucks that are badged as 2500's. These are NOT upgraded 1500's like a regular 2500 is.The base 6.0 litre is fine for all but the most demanding diesel required tasks. The truck hauls everything you can put in it and tows and plows snow like a mother. yeah gas mileage can suck but hey it is what it is...and a lot more. Quality is great on mine. I never open the hood except for washer fluid.

2500 HD REVIEW
By DAVE on 01/02/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4dr Extended Cab LS 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 5M)

GOOD LOOKING TRUCK, ROUGH RIDE COMPARED TO THE 1500HD, POOR MILEAGE AND PAR ACCELERATION.