Used 2003 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Silverado 2500HD model:

Most Helpful|
Chevy Duramax Diesel Rocks
By Comab

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4dr Extended Cab LT 4WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I had a 90 Chevy work truck then switched to the Ford F250 Super Duty. Now I'm back to Chevy with the 2500HD 4X4 Diesel. I found what I was looking for; all the things that the Ford didn't have. Much more comfortable ride. The LB tracks wonderfully on the interstate at 80-85 mph. Better fuel economy.The diesel has lots of power and acceptable acceleration. Easy to get in and out of and also low enough to work out of. The plastic in the grill seems soft and easily scratches with bug impacts. The tires and wheels are purposely small to max out the torque, but they look too small for the truck. When washed and clean it gets positive stares.

Favorite Features

Comfortable seats, power locks and integrated horn, lights, security system. Good factory stereo. Excellent cup holders and location, Cruise control, Diesel & Trany--A+

Suggested Improvements

Better air flow across the hood. Lower body armor panels like the Avalanche. Quality seat coves as an option. Harder plastic in the grill to resist scratches and bug/gravel impacts. Larger tires and wheels, optional chip to boost hp.

my truck
By justin witczak

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4dr Extended Cab LS 4WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 5M)

the front dash panel is popping out and is of poor quality,also I got a flat and could not lower the wheel to change it! I had to take it to the dealer!

Favorite Features

This truck has much more than adequate horsepower--It also has great exterior styling

Suggested Improvements

put some quality into the interior plastics

This truck is no good
By marc

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4dr Extended Cab LS 4WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 5M)

I have owned 9 new vehicles in my life with 4 of them purchased to use for a business. This truck is by far the worst vehicle I have ever owned. I have never had so many different things wrong with one vehicle. Today was the last straw. 40,000 miles and the water pump is out. This vehicle has had electrical problems and still does, radio issues 5 different factory radios,it is on its 3rd exhaust system, tailgate latch issues, seat covers defective, seat belts wearing out and fraying, suspension issues in the front that a frame shop had to repair steering shaft had to be replaced the threshold on the rocker panel was broken and had to replaced. I am running out of room to name everthing

Favorite Features

It is comfortable to drive

Suggested Improvements

The vehicle needs better components.

Could have been better
By tnparrothead

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4dr Crew Cab LS Rwd SB (6.0L 8cyl 5M)

After my break in period I noticed a significant drop in fuel economy. I went from averaging 14mpg/city to 11mpg/city. Once I hit a little more than 1,000 miles I noticed a problem in my steering. The dealership said it was probably the intermediate shaft but it has been intermittent and because they could not hear or feel it the day I took it down they did not want to chage it out. At about 5,000 miles the service 4WD warning came on. The very next time I started the vehicle it looked fine. It happened a couple more times and the dealer was unable to find a problem with my 4WD system.

Favorite Features

I like the power fold in mirrors. There is quite a bit of room in the backseat. The seatbelts in the front are in a very comfortable position.

Suggested Improvements

The airdam on the front could have been designed better so that the vehicle came with larger tires. Atleast 31s. The wheels are also very narrow for a truck this size. They are only 6.5".

Silverado 2500HD LT
By jyuhas

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4dr Extended Cab LT 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I bought this vehicle new in August and now have 6500 miles on it. It has been back into the dealership 5 times for repairs to the Power Mirrors and Windows. The Power Door locks also had to be replaced. The 6.0 Liter V8 motor on this vehicle is very quiet but seems very sluggish though this may be due to the transmission gearing. There is some wind noise when driving down the road at highway speeds. This vehicle has Anti-lock brakes but on one occassion during a panic stop they locked down.

Favorite Features

On-Star for the peace of mind Automatic Lights, Excellent Receiver in the stereo system.

Suggested Improvements

GM is close but this vehicle build quality could be better. Doors on the vehicle feel flimsy. There is no door ajar which I feel is a huge safety issue