Used 2003 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD

View reviews for a specific Silverado 2500HD model:

Silverado Rules
By Sharpie

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4dr Extended Cab LT 4WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

Great puller with the DuraMax and Allison trans. Traveled about 10,000 miles this last year (first year of ownership) with a 28' travel trailer got 10 MPG usually driving 65 or faster.

Favorite Features

Rear seat Heat /AC - folding & heated mirrors - rear window, and bed topper

Suggested Improvements

Wider opening on rear doors, remote starter on the diesel engine, more torque

Great Truck
By Ralph

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4dr Extended Cab LS 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 5M)

Bought it off lease with 35,000 miles on it. Looks and runs new. Seems to have plenty of power and will be put to the test when I hook up the fifth wheel. I have a 2002 Suburban that is the best vehicle I have ever owned and the reason I bought this.

Ear to ear grin
By Dan

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4dr Crew Cab LS 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 5M)

Great riding and looking truck, rides much better than Ford and Dodge. The crew cab is plenty spacious for 6. All shined up the truck looks great with chrome tube step bars. The Duramax diesel is a great engine, very quiet and powerful. Instrumentation is better than any other truck, period. Real gauges, with numbers (are you listening Dodge?), are the only way to go, not fake gauges like on the Fords. The bench seat console is very comfortable, much better than the armrests on the bucket seats. The RDS radio is cool, shows what song and station are on. Dual zone climate control is neat, cold for me, warm for the Mrs. I'd buy again, very nice truck, very nice ride.

Favorite Features

Duramax diesel engine. Dual zone climate control.

Suggested Improvements

C'mon GM, give us REAL wheels and tires, at least 265's, and give us bigger fuel tanks, at least 35 gallons on the shortbeds and 45 on the longbeds. These trucks are for work, ~260 mile range towing with a shortbed stinks.

Tow vehicle
By lb20fathoms

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4dr Extended Cab Rwd SB (6.0L 8cyl 5M)

Super truck for pulling and long rides. It needs a bigger gas tank. 26 gallons standard when you get 12 miles to a gallon isn't enough. Also needs better quality seats. I have had the driver's seat recovered twice under warranty, and I'm not an overly big guy.

Favorite Features

Strong truck with lots of power.

Suggested Improvements

Better seats. Level the ride. The nose sits lower than all the competition, but I guess that's the price you pay for the ride. You still feel small when you are next to a Ram or an F-250

This truck is no good
By marc

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4dr Extended Cab LS 4WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 5M)

I have owned 9 new vehicles in my life with 4 of them purchased to use for a business. This truck is by far the worst vehicle I have ever owned. I have never had so many different things wrong with one vehicle. Today was the last straw. 40,000 miles and the water pump is out. This vehicle has had electrical problems and still does, radio issues 5 different factory radios,it is on its 3rd exhaust system, tailgate latch issues, seat covers defective, seat belts wearing out and fraying, suspension issues in the front that a frame shop had to repair steering shaft had to be replaced the threshold on the rocker panel was broken and had to replaced. I am running out of room to name everthing

Favorite Features

It is comfortable to drive

Suggested Improvements

The vehicle needs better components.