Used 2003 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Silverado 2500HD model:

One Nice Truck!
By overhaul

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4dr Extended Cab LS Rwd SB (6.0L 8cyl 5M)

I just bought this truck about a month ago. Only problem was a bad serpentine belt. The power is very nice. I have the 6.0L and I can't feel any weight that I haul - It's like its not there. I used to have a 94 Chevy Cheyenne with a 305, and anytime that I put even just passengers in it, it felt lugged. I love the interior - feels like I am sitting in a recliner in a living room. I average about 10mpg when I am not towing, but hey, its an HD. Love the 3000lbs+ payload. It's very cozy on the highway.

Pulling Power, 4.10 with the locking differential, roomy interior, four doors, tonneau cover, turning radius isn't too bad, and quiet.

Fuel economy, needs bigger tires, and I certainly don't care for the electronic gas pedal.

Diesel long haul
By True North

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4dr Extended Cab LS 4WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 5M)

I love my truck, it's got great power, fuel economy, looks good, does everything I need it to do with no fuss.The drivetrain on this truck is amazing. The Allison 5 speed is far superior to the Dodge/Ford trannys. Not the toughest 4wd truck though, and the power extendable tow mirrors never like to work properly. I also think it sits too low for a 4x4 3/4 ton in the front, not enough ground clearance like the Fords and Dodges have.

Duramax Diesel, intuitive allison transmission, Bose 6 disc 200W stereo.

Bigger tires. I can't stand the 29" tires GM equips 3/4 and 1 tons with. And ditch the IFS front end, I can't stand it. The tie-rods are far too weak, and it can't take an offroad beating like the Fords and Dodges can. Not impressive for a 3/4 ton truck. I miss the old Dana 60 solid front end.

Duramax
By sam

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4dr Extended Cab LS 4WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 5M)

Get the diesel/Allison combo! I have experienced 23-27 mpg cruising at 70 mph, 16-17 city. Even factoring in the higher price of diesel, the cost per mile has been less, and with unlimited power and towing ability. Only annoyances have been rattling steering column and body squeaks and rattles. Otherwise truck has been very reliable. Comfortable and with very good brakes and handling.

Diesel engine/Allison transmission

Very good for first 53,000 miles
By Michael

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4dr Extended Cab LT 4WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I bought this truck to pull a 10,000 trailer part-time and eventually pull a much larger trailer. Never got the heavier trailer. New engine fuel milage was disappointing. Fuel mileage got better as engine broke in. 15/20 empty and 12 pulling. At 53k miles engine spun power steering pulley off the shaft. Replaced PS pump, pulley and serpentine belt. Next week blew ERG pump.

Great truck!
By wellinghurst

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4dr Extended Cab 4WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 5M)

Does everything as expected. Plenty of power, plenty of room. I am very happy with this truck. Just the typical minor maintenance stuff. It pulls my boat like it's not even there. 13 mpgs isn't bad for a 7000 lb. truck.

Captain chairs, Bose stereo, overall size and performance, rides really smooth

Wish they had an aux stereo input in 2003