Used 2003 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD LS Extended Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Extended Cab

View reviews for a specific Silverado 2500HD model:

One Nice Truck!
By overhaul

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab LS Rwd SB (6.0L 8cyl 5M)

I just bought this truck about a month ago. Only problem was a bad serpentine belt. The power is very nice. I have the 6.0L and I can't feel any weight that I haul - It's like its not there. I used to have a 94 Chevy Cheyenne with a 305, and anytime that I put even just passengers in it, it felt lugged. I love the interior - feels like I am sitting in a recliner in a living room. I average about 10mpg when I am not towing, but hey, its an HD. Love the 3000lbs+ payload. It's very cozy on the highway.

Favorite Features

Pulling Power, 4.10 with the locking differential, roomy interior, four doors, tonneau cover, turning radius isn't too bad, and quiet.

Suggested Improvements

Fuel economy, needs bigger tires, and I certainly don't care for the electronic gas pedal.

Love my Chevy HD. This is one bad boy.
By Gary

I love this truck! The 6.0 litre is powerful and smooth. With a locking differential and 4.10 gears this baby hooks for a 2wd. The one big complaint is bad MPG I average 12 to 13 no matter how I drive it; city or hwy. As far as its intended purpose it huals everything I want with no effort! Including, but not limited to cornering at 60-65 with a big heavy trailer and tractor very little sway and with the HD trans and cooler it never gets over 160 degrees with a load. Interior very spacious and well laid out. The suspension is tight and rides a little rough with no load but who cares its a HD.

Favorite Features

HD transmission with cooler, heavy duty rearend with locking diff and 4.10 gears. Rear suspension craves heavy loads. I love the body style and interior layout. Added nerf bars, mud flaps for front tires, HID lights, wire mesh grille, flowmasters, K&N filter, tinted windows, infinity speakers.

Suggested Improvements

6 speed transmission for better acceleration and gas mileage. Lose the plastic tailgate handle

Big Dog Motor Rocks
By Harpo

I traded my 94 K2500, 6.5 diesel for the 8.1 vortex with the Allison tranny and all I can say is wow!!. The Big Dog Motor pulls my 5th wheel with no effort at all especially when it comes to climbing long......hills. Combined with the Allison tranny, this is the best power drive train that a RVer could dream for save for the Duramax. I get about 10.5 mpg when towing and 14 mpg when not which is not to bad with 4.10 gearing. My wife likes the quiet ride although it's little stiffer than the old truck (new truck has the camper package). The 03 exterior stying is Ok but a prefer the older 02.

Favorite Features

Power, Power, Power

Suggested Improvements

Need a bigger gas tank option for the 8.1. A 26 gal tank is too small. A 40 plus gal center mounted would do the trick.

My 2500HD Deisel with Allison Tranny
By Marvin Belrose

You did not list the excellent Duramax diesel option, nor the 5 speed Allison transmission. I recently purchased this vehicle, and can honestly say that I am astounded at it's performance. Since we are going to upsize the trailer soon, I bought the new truck to handle nearly any trailer towing possibility we may have in the immediate future. The torque from this engine is unbelievable, and the Allison tranny hooks up with the engine so smoothly that it is indeed a pleasure to drive. We have seen a 20% decrease in fuel consumption, and feel much more secure in braking situations, and downhill situations. A great truck!

Favorite Features

Duramax/Allison combo

Suggested Improvements

retrn to 2002 power window switches