Used 2003 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD LS Extended Cab Consumer Reviews - 4 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Extended Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Silverado 2500HD model:

One Nice Truck!
By overhaul

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab LS Rwd SB (6.0L 8cyl 5M)

I just bought this truck about a month ago. Only problem was a bad serpentine belt. The power is very nice. I have the 6.0L and I can't feel any weight that I haul - It's like its not there. I used to have a 94 Chevy Cheyenne with a 305, and anytime that I put even just passengers in it, it felt lugged. I love the interior - feels like I am sitting in a recliner in a living room. I average about 10mpg when I am not towing, but hey, its an HD. Love the 3000lbs+ payload. It's very cozy on the highway.

Pulling Power, 4.10 with the locking differential, roomy interior, four doors, tonneau cover, turning radius isn't too bad, and quiet.

Fuel economy, needs bigger tires, and I certainly don't care for the electronic gas pedal.

Love my Chevy HD. This is one bad boy.
By Gary

I love this truck! The 6.0 litre is powerful and smooth. With a locking differential and 4.10 gears this baby hooks for a 2wd. The one big complaint is bad MPG I average 12 to 13 no matter how I drive it; city or hwy. As far as its intended purpose it huals everything I want with no effort! Including, but not limited to cornering at 60-65 with a big heavy trailer and tractor very little sway and with the HD trans and cooler it never gets over 160 degrees with a load. Interior very spacious and well laid out. The suspension is tight and rides a little rough with no load but who cares its a HD.

HD transmission with cooler, heavy duty rearend with locking diff and 4.10 gears. Rear suspension craves heavy loads. I love the body style and interior layout. Added nerf bars, mud flaps for front tires, HID lights, wire mesh grille, flowmasters, K&N filter, tinted windows, infinity speakers.

6 speed transmission for better acceleration and gas mileage. Lose the plastic tailgate handle

Big Dog Motor Rocks
By Harpo

I traded my 94 K2500, 6.5 diesel for
the 8.1 vortex with the Allison tranny
and all I can say is wow!!. The Big
Dog Motor pulls my 5th wheel with no
effort at all especially when it comes
to climbing long......hills. Combined
with the Allison tranny, this is the
best power drive train that a RVer
could dream for save for the Duramax.
I get about 10.5 mpg when towing and
14 mpg when not which is not to bad
with 4.10 gearing. My wife likes the
quiet ride although it's little
stiffer than the old truck (new truck
has the camper package). The 03
exterior stying is Ok but a prefer the
older 02.

Power, Power, Power

Need a bigger gas tank option for the 8.1. A 26 gal tank is too small. A 40 plus gal center mounted would do the trick.

My 2500HD Deisel with Allison Tranny
By Marvin Belrose

You did not list the excellent Duramax
diesel option, nor the 5 speed Allison
transmission.

I recently purchased this vehicle, and
can honestly say that I am astounded at
it's performance. Since we are going
to upsize the trailer soon, I bought
the new truck to handle nearly any
trailer towing possibility we may have
in the immediate future.

The torque from this engine is
unbelievable, and the Allison tranny
hooks up with the engine so smoothly
that it is indeed a pleasure to drive.
We have seen a 20% decrease in fuel
consumption, and feel much more secure
in braking situations, and downhill
situations. A great truck!

Duramax/Allison combo