Used 2003 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Extended Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Extended Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Silverado 2500HD model:

Shocked with all the positive Reviews
By edthebuilder

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab LT 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

1st, I have the 8.1L engine. Pulls great but mileage is disgusting. $80 in the tank and the range says 212 miles. Only have 70K on it (who can afford to drive it). Purchased as dealer demo w/ 7K on it, got home & oil was not even on the stick. Found out that you must add a quart of oil every two fill ups. Dealer told me "that's normal". Gages went out & was part of recall & class action suit but that expired & now its $550 for a rebuilt unit...thanks GM. Garage stored but undercarriage is all rusted! Brakes are awful. Lots of confidence w/ 10,000 lbs behind me on a wet road. This thing rides like a dump truck. This is my last GM EVER. I'm out... My next truck will be a Toyota

It does pull well. When I pull trailers, you don't know they are back there, until you need to break. The interior cabin is reasonably well designed and the seats are comfortable but very stiff.

Braking system is poor. gas mileage must be improved. Electronics are poor but I have never had a GM that hasn't had electrical issues. undercarriage should be better coated. Oil consumption is unacceptable.

Fuel Injector problems
By Kurt & Cindy

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab LS 4WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 5M)

Paid all cash and had hopes for many years of good use. At about 90K we had fuel injector problems which were repaired under warranty. 50K later at 140,000 we began to see smoke from the tail pipe. Took the car into Chevy service and was told that two or three injectors were beginning to fail, but that they still tested to be acceptable by GM standards. The car billowed smoke, a few weeks later we found fuel in our motor oil. Still no budge from GM to repair the injectors which were covered under a extended warranty but still tested within their standards. GM didn't care if we blew our motor as it wasn't covered. We're done with GM.

Pay attention to your customers. They are the ones who will keep you in business.

One Nice Truck!
By overhaul

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab LS Rwd SB (6.0L 8cyl 5M)

I just bought this truck about a month ago. Only problem was a bad serpentine belt. The power is very nice. I have the 6.0L and I can't feel any weight that I haul - It's like its not there. I used to have a 94 Chevy Cheyenne with a 305, and anytime that I put even just passengers in it, it felt lugged. I love the interior - feels like I am sitting in a recliner in a living room. I average about 10mpg when I am not towing, but hey, its an HD. Love the 3000lbs+ payload. It's very cozy on the highway.

Pulling Power, 4.10 with the locking differential, roomy interior, four doors, tonneau cover, turning radius isn't too bad, and quiet.

Fuel economy, needs bigger tires, and I certainly don't care for the electronic gas pedal.

Diesel long haul
By True North

I love my truck, it's got great power, fuel economy, looks good, does everything I need it to do with no fuss.The drivetrain on this truck is amazing. The Allison 5 speed is far superior to the Dodge/Ford trannys. Not the toughest 4wd truck though, and the power extendable tow mirrors never like to work properly. I also think it sits too low for a 4x4 3/4 ton in the front, not enough ground clearance like the Fords and Dodges have.

Duramax Diesel, intuitive allison transmission, Bose 6 disc 200W stereo.

Bigger tires. I can't stand the 29" tires GM equips 3/4 and 1 tons with. And ditch the IFS front end, I can't stand it. The tie-rods are far too weak, and it can't take an offroad beating like the Fords and Dodges can. Not impressive for a 3/4 ton truck. I miss the old Dana 60 solid front end.

Duramax
By sam

Get the diesel/Allison combo! I have experienced 23-27 mpg cruising at 70 mph, 16-17 city. Even factoring in the higher price of diesel, the cost per mile has been less, and with unlimited power and towing ability. Only annoyances have been rattling steering column and body squeaks and rattles. Otherwise truck has been very reliable. Comfortable and with very good brakes and handling.

Diesel engine/Allison transmission