2003 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Extended Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Silverado 2500HD model:
Shocked with all the positive Reviews
By edthebuilder on 10/09/13 22:57 PM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab LT 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

1st, I have the 8.1L engine. Pulls great but mileage is disgusting. $80 in the tank and the range says 212 miles. Only have 70K on it (who can afford to drive it). Purchased as dealer demo w/ 7K on it, got home & oil was not even on the stick. Found out that you must add a quart of oil every two fill ups. Dealer told me "that's normal". Gages went out & was part of recall & class action suit but that expired & now its $550 for a rebuilt unit...thanks GM. Garage stored but undercarriage is all rusted! Brakes are awful. Lots of confidence w/ 10,000 lbs behind me on a wet road. This thing rides like a dump truck. This is my last GM EVER. I'm out... My next truck will be a Toyota

Fuel Injector problems
By Kurt & Cindy on 10/07/09 16:25 PM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab LS 4WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 5M)

Paid all cash and had hopes for many years of good use. At about 90K we had fuel injector problems which were repaired under warranty. 50K later at 140,000 we began to see smoke from the tail pipe. Took the car into Chevy service and was told that two or three injectors were beginning to fail, but that they still tested to be acceptable by GM standards. The car billowed smoke, a few weeks later we found fuel in our motor oil. Still no budge from GM to repair the injectors which were covered under a extended warranty but still tested within their standards. GM didn't care if we blew our motor as it wasn't covered. We're done with GM.

One Nice Truck!
By overhaul on 09/26/09 10:57 AM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab LS Rwd SB (6.0L 8cyl 5M)

I just bought this truck about a month ago. Only problem was a bad serpentine belt. The power is very nice. I have the 6.0L and I can't feel any weight that I haul - It's like its not there. I used to have a 94 Chevy Cheyenne with a 305, and anytime that I put even just passengers in it, it felt lugged. I love the interior - feels like I am sitting in a recliner in a living room. I average about 10mpg when I am not towing, but hey, its an HD. Love the 3000lbs+ payload. It's very cozy on the highway.

Diesel long haul
By True North on 02/10/09 15:30 PM (PST)

I love my truck, it's got great power, fuel economy, looks good, does everything I need it to do with no fuss.The drivetrain on this truck is amazing. The Allison 5 speed is far superior to the Dodge/Ford trannys. Not the toughest 4wd truck though, and the power extendable tow mirrors never like to work properly. I also think it sits too low for a 4x4 3/4 ton in the front, not enough ground clearance like the Fords and Dodges have.

Duramax
By sam on 01/30/09 07:09 AM (PST)

Get the diesel/Allison combo! I have experienced 23-27 mpg cruising at 70 mph, 16-17 city. Even factoring in the higher price of diesel, the cost per mile has been less, and with unlimited power and towing ability. Only annoyances have been rattling steering column and body squeaks and rattles. Otherwise truck has been very reliable. Comfortable and with very good brakes and handling.

Very good for first 53,000 miles
By Michael on 08/27/08 13:57 PM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab LT 4WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I bought this truck to pull a 10,000 trailer part-time and eventually pull a much larger trailer. Never got the heavier trailer. New engine fuel milage was disappointing. Fuel mileage got better as engine broke in. 15/20 empty and 12 pulling. At 53k miles engine spun power steering pulley off the shaft. Replaced PS pump, pulley and serpentine belt. Next week blew ERG pump.

Great truck!
By wellinghurst on 02/06/08 07:56 AM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab 4WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 5M)

Does everything as expected. Plenty of power, plenty of room. I am very happy with this truck. Just the typical minor maintenance stuff. It pulls my boat like it's not even there. 13 mpgs isn't bad for a 7000 lb. truck.

Love my Chevy HD. This is one bad boy.
By Gary on 11/25/07 11:44 AM (PST)

I love this truck! The 6.0 litre is powerful and smooth. With a locking differential and 4.10 gears this baby hooks for a 2wd. The one big complaint is bad MPG I average 12 to 13 no matter how I drive it; city or hwy. As far as its intended purpose it huals everything I want with no effort! Including, but not limited to cornering at 60-65 with a big heavy trailer and tractor very little sway and with the HD trans and cooler it never gets over 160 degrees with a load. Interior very spacious and well laid out. The suspension is tight and rides a little rough with no load but who cares its a HD.

No problems
By Charles on 11/21/07 15:47 PM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab LT Rwd LB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

Purchased vehicle 2 years old with about 32000 miles. I have had zero problems with the truck. It has fifth wheel for pulling gooseneck trailers. Long bed has plenty of room for large tool box and extra gear. Normally carry 3000-4000lb payloads when needed, it does this effortlessly.

Chevy trucks rule!
By Devil on 06/19/06 05:21 AM (PDT)

I use my trucks for landscaping and snow plowing. I have owned Fords in the past, but Chevy's trucks are by far the best in every category, not to mention, they have the most standard hp of them all. The locking differential and 4:20 gears are all optional on Fords trucks. My Chevy also will beat any 5.4 orv-10 in pick up off the line stock. Buy Chevy hd trucks, you cant go wrong.