2003 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Silverado 2500HD model:
Shocked with all the positive Reviews
By edthebuilder on 10/09/13 22:57 PM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4dr Extended Cab LT 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

1st, I have the 8.1L engine. Pulls great but mileage is disgusting. $80 in the tank and the range says 212 miles. Only have 70K on it (who can afford to drive it). Purchased as dealer demo w/ 7K on it, got home & oil was not even on the stick. Found out that you must add a quart of oil every two fill ups. Dealer told me "that's normal". Gages went out & was part of recall & class action suit but that expired & now its $550 for a rebuilt unit...thanks GM. Garage stored but undercarriage is all rusted! Brakes are awful. Lots of confidence w/ 10,000 lbs behind me on a wet road. This thing rides like a dump truck. This is my last GM EVER. I'm out... My next truck will be a Toyota

What's not to like
By DEON on 04/12/10 11:36 AM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 2dr Regular Cab 4WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 5M)

Good strong truck. Will buy another. But I will miss that 496 C.I.D.

2500HD 6.0 4x4 Reg Cab 64,000 miles
By Rob on 01/03/10 10:47 AM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 2dr Regular Cab 4WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 5M)

Wonderful truck in the snow! Gas mileage is what you would expect, lousy. Alternator chewed up rear bearing at 62,000 miles. Seems to rust easy, all front brake lines are very rusty. Had a scare recently, when engine stalls you have no brakes! I guess that would be my only serious complaint about the hydraulic brake system.

Outstanding truck!
By dsc362 on 11/22/09 06:33 AM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4dr Crew Cab LT 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

THis truck has been a great vehicle. I have the Duramax Diesel / Allison tran, 4x4, CC, LT package. I added a powerchip programmer to it and I get around 18.5mpg, not pulling a trailer, around 13mpg pulling a loaded 18', but the power remains the same either way. You can not go wrong if you need a truck for driving around town or pulling a trailer around.

Fuel Injector problems
By Kurt & Cindy on 10/07/09 16:25 PM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4dr Extended Cab LS 4WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 5M)

Paid all cash and had hopes for many years of good use. At about 90K we had fuel injector problems which were repaired under warranty. 50K later at 140,000 we began to see smoke from the tail pipe. Took the car into Chevy service and was told that two or three injectors were beginning to fail, but that they still tested to be acceptable by GM standards. The car billowed smoke, a few weeks later we found fuel in our motor oil. Still no budge from GM to repair the injectors which were covered under a extended warranty but still tested within their standards. GM didn't care if we blew our motor as it wasn't covered. We're done with GM.

One Nice Truck!
By overhaul on 09/26/09 10:57 AM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4dr Extended Cab LS Rwd SB (6.0L 8cyl 5M)

I just bought this truck about a month ago. Only problem was a bad serpentine belt. The power is very nice. I have the 6.0L and I can't feel any weight that I haul - It's like its not there. I used to have a 94 Chevy Cheyenne with a 305, and anytime that I put even just passengers in it, it felt lugged. I love the interior - feels like I am sitting in a recliner in a living room. I average about 10mpg when I am not towing, but hey, its an HD. Love the 3000lbs+ payload. It's very cozy on the highway.

Diesel long haul
By True North on 02/10/09 15:30 PM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4dr Extended Cab LS 4WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 5M)

I love my truck, it's got great power, fuel economy, looks good, does everything I need it to do with no fuss.The drivetrain on this truck is amazing. The Allison 5 speed is far superior to the Dodge/Ford trannys. Not the toughest 4wd truck though, and the power extendable tow mirrors never like to work properly. I also think it sits too low for a 4x4 3/4 ton in the front, not enough ground clearance like the Fords and Dodges have.

Duramax
By sam on 01/30/09 07:09 AM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4dr Extended Cab LS 4WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 5M)

Get the diesel/Allison combo! I have experienced 23-27 mpg cruising at 70 mph, 16-17 city. Even factoring in the higher price of diesel, the cost per mile has been less, and with unlimited power and towing ability. Only annoyances have been rattling steering column and body squeaks and rattles. Otherwise truck has been very reliable. Comfortable and with very good brakes and handling.

Very good for first 53,000 miles
By Michael on 08/27/08 13:57 PM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4dr Extended Cab LT 4WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I bought this truck to pull a 10,000 trailer part-time and eventually pull a much larger trailer. Never got the heavier trailer. New engine fuel milage was disappointing. Fuel mileage got better as engine broke in. 15/20 empty and 12 pulling. At 53k miles engine spun power steering pulley off the shaft. Replaced PS pump, pulley and serpentine belt. Next week blew ERG pump.

Great truck!
By wellinghurst on 02/06/08 07:56 AM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4dr Extended Cab 4WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 5M)

Does everything as expected. Plenty of power, plenty of room. I am very happy with this truck. Just the typical minor maintenance stuff. It pulls my boat like it's not even there. 13 mpgs isn't bad for a 7000 lb. truck.