Used 2003 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Chevrolet Silverado-2500hd - Consumer Reviews

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD

View reviews for a specific Silverado 2500HD model:

Shocked with all the positive Reviews
By edthebuilder

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4dr Extended Cab LT 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

1st, I have the 8.1L engine. Pulls great but mileage is disgusting. $80 in the tank and the range says 212 miles. Only have 70K on it (who can afford to drive it). Purchased as dealer demo w/ 7K on it, got home & oil was not even on the stick. Found out that you must add a quart of oil every two fill ups. Dealer told me "that's normal". Gages went out & was part of recall & class action suit but that expired & now its $550 for a rebuilt unit...thanks GM. Garage stored but undercarriage is all rusted! Brakes are awful. Lots of confidence w/ 10,000 lbs behind me on a wet road. This thing rides like a dump truck. This is my last GM EVER. I'm out... My next truck will be a Toyota

Favorite Features

It does pull well. When I pull trailers, you don't know they are back there, until you need to break. The interior cabin is reasonably well designed and the seats are comfortable but very stiff.

Suggested Improvements

Braking system is poor. gas mileage must be improved. Electronics are poor but I have never had a GM that hasn't had electrical issues. undercarriage should be better coated. Oil consumption is unacceptable.

What's not to like
By DEON

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 2dr Regular Cab 4WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 5M)

Good strong truck. Will buy another. But I will miss that 496 C.I.D.

Favorite Features

It's a Chevy

Suggested Improvements

Wheel Wells bigger.

2500HD 6.0 4x4 Reg Cab 64,000 miles
By Rob

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 2dr Regular Cab 4WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 5M)

Wonderful truck in the snow! Gas mileage is what you would expect, lousy. Alternator chewed up rear bearing at 62,000 miles. Seems to rust easy, all front brake lines are very rusty. Had a scare recently, when engine stalls you have no brakes! I guess that would be my only serious complaint about the hydraulic brake system.

Favorite Features

Power, go anywhere with the right tires. Tows great.

Suggested Improvements

Frame and brake line rust prevention.

Outstanding truck!
By dsc362

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4dr Crew Cab LT 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

THis truck has been a great vehicle. I have the Duramax Diesel / Allison tran, 4x4, CC, LT package. I added a powerchip programmer to it and I get around 18.5mpg, not pulling a trailer, around 13mpg pulling a loaded 18', but the power remains the same either way. You can not go wrong if you need a truck for driving around town or pulling a trailer around.

Favorite Features

MPG, interior design, POWER.

Suggested Improvements

Injectors, had mine go out at 90k, but dealership repaired at no charge.

Fuel Injector problems
By Kurt & Cindy

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4dr Extended Cab LS 4WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 5M)

Paid all cash and had hopes for many years of good use. At about 90K we had fuel injector problems which were repaired under warranty. 50K later at 140,000 we began to see smoke from the tail pipe. Took the car into Chevy service and was told that two or three injectors were beginning to fail, but that they still tested to be acceptable by GM standards. The car billowed smoke, a few weeks later we found fuel in our motor oil. Still no budge from GM to repair the injectors which were covered under a extended warranty but still tested within their standards. GM didn't care if we blew our motor as it wasn't covered. We're done with GM.

Suggested Improvements

Pay attention to your customers. They are the ones who will keep you in business.