2002 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Base Crew Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Sort Reviews by

What Fuel Economy?
By silveradohd

2002 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab LT 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I own a 2002 2500 HD Silverado 4x4 with the 6.0L engine that has 115000 miles on it for six years now and i could not be more pleased with it. I've done a few mods to it like larger tires, flowmaster cat back exhaust, K&N air filter and some other cosmetic items.The truck has been super reliable and is a blast to drive. As far as fuel economy, I didn't buy it for that. but It still gets about 16 mpg and tows anything i put behind it. As far as fuel economy is concerned 16 mpg from that big of a motor isn't that's bad. Their maybe more efficient trucks on the market today but I would still put my Silverado up against any gasoline truck out there as far as perfomance and reliability.

Favorite Features

Favorite features, It's a Chevrolet of course. But anyway the power of the 6.0L engine is awesome and other than regular maintenance it's been great. The ride is awesome and handles like a much smaller truck, You can actually turn around in a parking lot unlike other 2500 trucks (Fords). It still has that old school look to it, it reminds me of the 72 chevy pickups. Plenty of room inside with the four doors, A full size person can be very comfortable in the back seat on extended drives and the kids love the room.

Suggested Improvements

I really can't think of any improvements other than i wish i would have found one that didn't have all tan interior. Not that i don't like it, it's just a little blah. I've already changed some of the interior out for the black and plan on changing some more of it, But not all of it i like the two tone look inside the truck. It could have a roll down back window, That would be really nice in the summer when you don't feel like running the ac and just want some fresh air.

Chevy 2500HD LT Diesel
By Golden Eagle

2002 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab LT 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

Very reliable truck. I have had this one for almost 7 years. The only problem is a mechanical dysfunction that was covered under the warranty at about 80,000 miles. Mileage is about 17-19/mpg. The diesel is louder than the newer models but still quiter than the competition from the same years. The 4WD has never acted up. All interior features are still working properly. Have not put any money into this truck since purchase except regular maintenance and tires. I could not have had a better truck over the last 7 years. Would like a new model, but with the cost, I will just keep this one going. It still looks new from the street and pulls like a train.

Favorite Features

Looks great, Pulls like a champ. All the Ford and Dodge owners always ask about the Duramax diesel and the Allison transmission. Interior features are excellent. I have only praises about this truck.

Ole Faithful
By Webe

2002 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab LS 4WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 5M)

I bought the truck new as it came off the transport truck, seriously. This truck has done anything I have asked of it and is still going strong. Other than normal maintenance, I have had it in the shop for a fused transmission sensor. That is it. Averaging 17 mpg in town, 25 on the highway, and 17 when pulling 13000 camper I cannot complain about that at all. With a truck this size, that is great. I see me running this truck probably til I die. It is that good a truck.

Favorite Features

The body style. Why they only built it three years is a mystery to me. I think it is the best looking model ever made, except for the "50". Love the ease of 4X4 as needed. The diesel and transmission has proven extremely reliable and dependable. A/C in 110 degree doesn't overheat.

Suggested Improvements

Console is a bit much. Better placement of the speakers. Cloth seats could be of a more wear resistant material.

Extra dependable engine, poor transmission
By hillclimber

2002 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab 2WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 5M)

Our company bought this truck new. I just parked it last week with 242,683 miles on it. We purchased a 2005 with low miles, speced just my 2002. The 02 has a utility bed with welder, torch set up, worlds of tools. Full of gas, gross weight is 9,650lbs. This 6.0 gas engine has to be one of the best in the world. I've checked every tank of gas for 6 1/2 years,averaged 13.225, great to be so overloaded. The 410 ratio did a good job for us. The automatic trans. just didn't have the guts for the torque and weight. When I parked it last week, overdrive was out again...trans # four, poor quality trans. Overall, an excellent truck if it had the Allison trans.

Favorite Features

Good overall ride. I've always been a Ford owner, but I've got to admit that this is probably the best truck I've ever worked with.

Suggested Improvements

Transmission is the only thing that should have been better, I guess the Allison is the answer.

Best Truck Ever!
By pss1175

2002 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab LS 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 5M)

I bought this vehicle new and it has been great. I have definitely used it as a HD truck. Towed a 15,000lbs. trailer all over the midwest and had no problems. Payload is excellent, I have had 4000 lbs in the bed. This truck has been off road as much as on road. It just keeps asking for more. Fuel mileage is 10 and 13, no complaints though it is a big truck and I did not buy it for the mileage. I bought it to work and it does. Only mechanical problem was a fan clutch at 75,000. I will be keeping this truck for a long time. Nice job GM.

Favorite Features

Everything

Suggested Improvements

None

Hidden Duramax costs
By Bilbur

2002 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab 2WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 5M)

Besides being one of the best and most solid diesel pickups I've ever owned, the truck is also the worst when it comes to the engine. The third full set of injectors have just been installed, the second Allison transmission last year, and an injection pump housing last month. For each injector change, 36, 72, and 113 thou., the truck has spent weeks waiting for parts and service. The truck sat in Phoenix for almost two weeks waiting for a torque converter and trans. Maintenance costs have exceeded $8,000 overall outside of warranty. It has cost Chevrolet $6,000 per injector change. All done under 200k warranty. When the injectors are no longer warrantied - this truck is gone!

Favorite Features

Tight cab, solid ride, good heat/cooling in front, excellent headlights and stable hauling a load or a trailer.

Suggested Improvements

I hope Chevrolet has done something with the injection pump, injectors, engine thermostats and transmission (it forgot how to shift or stay in gear). Please put air ducts to the back seat for heat and cooling.

Most solid vehicle I have owned
By j alexander

2002 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab LT 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

This has been almost trouble free. The one area of trouble was taken care of by GM with an extended warrenty of 200,000 miles on the injectors. Getting an overall mileage of 17.5mpg, with some tanks going into the 20 + when driving all e-way, even at a steady 75+ MPH. The diesel pulling power is great. I towed 18,000 lbs from Sarasota Fl. to Phila. Pa. and averaged 12.2 mpg.

Favorite Features

Truck tracks very good on the road. Tire wear is minimal, as it holds alignment well. Seats are great for long trips.

Suggested Improvements

The turning radius is terrible. I sometimes need to back up 2-3 times to park in tigkt spots. Places where my Yukon XL goes in in one pass. Whindshield wipers need more glass pressure. Fuel filter changes are a pain, and could be solved with a larger capacity.

Great Truck
By Alfred

2002 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab LS 4WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 5M)

Bought used with minor frame damage and had it fixed. Runs & handles great. Can't believe the great gas mileage for such a heavy truck and the power when you need it. Already ran truck on straight, clean vegetable oil and will now set up to use waste vegetable oil. Love this truck!

Favorite Features

Power, 4WD, functionality, size (not too big)

Suggested Improvements

I would say update interior, but that was done in newer models.

Great truck
By Ollie

2002 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab LS 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 5M)

I bought his truck 7 months ago with only 32,000 miles on it. I love it! It runs great, and the cab is the biggest out there. It is also a very comfortable ride. The gas mileage isn't so great though. Overall a great truck.

Favorite Features

Comfort and the amount of room

Suggested Improvements

Better fuel economy

Goes
By w1pdk

2002 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab LT 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I have driven this truck for over a year now, and I have put over 35000 miles on it. Great truck to drive and also very fun. I have pulled over 16000 lbs in a gooseneck and it did perfect. The transmission is EXCELENT. Saves the brakes when hauling. With a K&N air filter I get about 13-16 GPM, with 265/75/R16, and a 1.5" front end lift it looks great.

Favorite Features

Horsepower, and tranny

Suggested Improvements

GPM