2002 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Silverado 2500HD model:
What Fuel Economy?
By silveradohd on 03/16/11 00:11 AM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab LT 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I own a 2002 2500 HD Silverado 4x4 with the 6.0L engine that has 115000 miles on it for six years now and i could not be more pleased with it. I've done a few mods to it like larger tires, flowmaster cat back exhaust, K&N air filter and some other cosmetic items.The truck has been super reliable and is a blast to drive. As far as fuel economy, I didn't buy it for that. but It still gets about 16 mpg and tows anything i put behind it. As far as fuel economy is concerned 16 mpg from that big of a motor isn't that's bad. Their maybe more efficient trucks on the market today but I would still put my Silverado up against any gasoline truck out there as far as perfomance and reliability.

Chevy 2500HD LT Diesel
By Golden Eagle on 11/10/08 14:23 PM (PST)

2002 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab LT 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

Very reliable truck. I have had this one for almost 7 years. The only problem is a mechanical dysfunction that was covered under the warranty at about 80,000 miles. Mileage is about 17-19/mpg. The diesel is louder than the newer models but still quiter than the competition from the same years. The 4WD has never acted up. All interior features are still working properly. Have not put any money into this truck since purchase except regular maintenance and tires. I could not have had a better truck over the last 7 years. Would like a new model, but with the cost, I will just keep this one going. It still looks new from the street and pulls like a train.

Ole Faithful
By Webe on 09/11/08 04:50 AM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab LS 4WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 5M)

I bought the truck new as it came off the transport truck, seriously. This truck has done anything I have asked of it and is still going strong. Other than normal maintenance, I have had it in the shop for a fused transmission sensor. That is it. Averaging 17 mpg in town, 25 on the highway, and 17 when pulling 13000 camper I cannot complain about that at all. With a truck this size, that is great. I see me running this truck probably til I die. It is that good a truck.

Extra dependable engine, poor transmission
By hillclimber on 04/18/08 18:47 PM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab 2WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 5M)

Our company bought this truck new. I just parked it last week with 242,683 miles on it. We purchased a 2005 with low miles, speced just my 2002. The 02 has a utility bed with welder, torch set up, worlds of tools. Full of gas, gross weight is 9,650lbs. This 6.0 gas engine has to be one of the best in the world. I've checked every tank of gas for 6 1/2 years,averaged 13.225, great to be so overloaded. The 410 ratio did a good job for us. The automatic trans. just didn't have the guts for the torque and weight. When I parked it last week, overdrive was out again...trans # four, poor quality trans. Overall, an excellent truck if it had the Allison trans.

Best Truck Ever!
By pss1175 on 03/19/08 19:30 PM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab LS 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 5M)

I bought this vehicle new and it has been great. I have definitely used it as a HD truck. Towed a 15,000lbs. trailer all over the midwest and had no problems. Payload is excellent, I have had 4000 lbs in the bed. This truck has been off road as much as on road. It just keeps asking for more. Fuel mileage is 10 and 13, no complaints though it is a big truck and I did not buy it for the mileage. I bought it to work and it does. Only mechanical problem was a fan clutch at 75,000. I will be keeping this truck for a long time. Nice job GM.

Hidden Duramax costs
By Bilbur on 12/12/07 11:31 AM (PST)

2002 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab 2WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 5M)

Besides being one of the best and most solid diesel pickups I've ever owned, the truck is also the worst when it comes to the engine. The third full set of injectors have just been installed, the second Allison transmission last year, and an injection pump housing last month. For each injector change, 36, 72, and 113 thou., the truck has spent weeks waiting for parts and service. The truck sat in Phoenix for almost two weeks waiting for a torque converter and trans. Maintenance costs have exceeded $8,000 overall outside of warranty. It has cost Chevrolet $6,000 per injector change. All done under 200k warranty. When the injectors are no longer warrantied - this truck is gone!

Most solid vehicle I have owned
By j alexander on 10/23/06 12:28 PM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab LT 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

This has been almost trouble free. The one area of trouble was taken care of by GM with an extended warrenty of 200,000 miles on the injectors. Getting an overall mileage of 17.5mpg, with some tanks going into the 20 + when driving all e-way, even at a steady 75+ MPH. The diesel pulling power is great. I towed 18,000 lbs from Sarasota Fl. to Phila. Pa. and averaged 12.2 mpg.

Great Truck
By Alfred on 08/23/06 10:25 AM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab LS 4WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 5M)

Bought used with minor frame damage and had it fixed. Runs & handles great. Can't believe the great gas mileage for such a heavy truck and the power when you need it. Already ran truck on straight, clean vegetable oil and will now set up to use waste vegetable oil. Love this truck!

Great truck
By Ollie on 04/21/06 18:31 PM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab LS 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 5M)

I bought his truck 7 months ago with only 32,000 miles on it. I love it! It runs great, and the cab is the biggest out there. It is also a very comfortable ride. The gas mileage isn't so great though. Overall a great truck.

Goes
By w1pdk on 03/07/06 17:07 PM (PST)

2002 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab LT 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I have driven this truck for over a year now, and I have put over 35000 miles on it. Great truck to drive and also very fun. I have pulled over 16000 lbs in a gooseneck and it did perfect. The transmission is EXCELENT. Saves the brakes when hauling. With a K&N air filter I get about 13-16 GPM, with 265/75/R16, and a 1.5" front end lift it looks great.