Used 2002 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Silverado 2500HD model:

Most Helpful|
chevy lemon
By mattl

2002 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4dr Crew Cab LS 4WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 5M)

to many problems for a new vehicle in this day and age. the 2500 hd pick up truck that i purchased had a cracked oil pan, the rear end leaks, all door locks have fallen off on the inside of truck, leaf spring pads have fallen out, the left rear door on the crew cab does not open, and when it rains the truck jerks back and fourth like the transmission is going to fall out. chevy has had a very poor response to all the problems i had with this truck. It's one big lemon and its my problem because i purchased the truck. my company owns six other chevys trucks but this will most likely be my last purchase of a new chevy truck.

Suggested Improvements

same interior for to many years

WILL NOT BUY ANOTHER!!!
By Thalia

2002 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 5M)

I bought this truck new, 2 miles on it when I test-drove it. BEFORE I bought it, a fluid line exploded all over the engine. That should have been my FIRST indication to drive off and leave it! My husband & dad said it had a "warranty" to go ahead and get it. WRONG! That was ONLY the beginning! The local dealership could not get the problems that I had fixed on this truck like: replaced drive shaft for truck tugging when driven, replaced power- steering pump, noise when backing up, jerks when pulling a horse trailer, severe gaps when applying brakes, headlight dim extremely low for no reason, and the list still goes on!

Favorite Features

The truck color.

Suggested Improvements

Stand behind their product! Don't forget they didn't become this big of a company by putting out this quality of trucks! They are NOT "built like a rock" & they are not "the most reliable, longest lasting truck on the road"! Bad gas mileage!

Beware GM Gas Engines!
By 501

2002 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4dr Extended Cab LT 2WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

At 10k miles my truck started knocking. Now at 25k it knocks all the time. Complained to dealer and GM, they extended engine warranty to 5 years/100k miles. What good is a truck that cost $30k that I have to get rid of in 5 years if it doesn't blow before hand? This is from a 40 year GM loyalist and shareholder. Search "piston slap" on the internet for all the sorry details.

Crew cab
By rdouglas

2002 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 5M)

I bought the smaller engine thiking that would be all I would need. If you are going to buy this truck get the bigger engine. With the small engine I am getting between 10 and 11 mpg. The short bed does not allow for a larger fuel tank so plan accordingly. I'm getting rid of mine and buying a diesel.

Favorite Features

The crew cab is huge. I love it for the space. It beats out the extra cabs hands down.

Suggested Improvements

Fuel economy is non excistant. Either work on it or put in a larger gas tank.

3/4 Ton/HD 6.0L Eng. Problems.
By Matt Bell

2002 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4dr Crew Cab 2WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 5M)

Has an engine tick which Gen Mtrs. says is piston slap. Misses when any loading such as going up even a slight hill. Local dealer has been working with GM engineers was told currently is no fix? Told Gen. Mtrs. knew of a "FEW" 6.0L engines that do this. Should not have released them if they knew there was a problem. currently trying to get vehicle repaired/replaced under "Lemon Law". Vehicle only has 4500MI. on it.

Suggested Improvements

General Mtrs. begin to stand behind their worthless products.