Used 2001 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Silverado 2500HD model:

Transmission Eater!
By wyomingwapiti

2001 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 2dr Regular Cab LS 4WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 5M)

This is my work truck. Replaced a 98 K3500. I use this truck to pull heavy fifth wheel trailers. The duratec diesel engine is great for this. Loads of power w/ great gas mileage (20 mpg highway). I have the optional allison automatic transmission. The tranny is great for downshifting when pulling trailers. The tranny did shell out last year w/ 50,000 miles on the odometer. This cost $4500 to fix. After doing some research found this is a common problem on the 01 model. My fuel sending unit also went bad. Cost $800. Research also shows these trucks are prone to premature injector failure. I havent seen this yet though. Wish reliablity was better I guess.

Duratec engine

Chevy needs to address their Allison tranny issues and back them up.

It's all relative
By benalbright

2001 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4dr Crew Cab LT 2WD LB w/OnStar (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

This has been a great vehicle. I've driven over 82,000 miles with no significant problems. Very dependable, powerful, and efficient. The swiss army knife of vehicles, it can do just about anything (except make tight turns). I plan to have this vehicle well past 200,000 miles. The only problems I've had were abnormal front tire wear early on and a blown front speaker (warranty item). Starts up quickly, even in 0F weather. I'm still on my original set of brakes, with plenty of material to go.

Strong towing power yet relatively good mileage (~20mpg highway unloaded). Good steering feel, comfortable seats (can cruise for 12 hours without getting tired), space for everyone and their gear. Relatively quite engine compared to others that year. Engine braking using tow/haul mode is great.

Better turning radius (crew cab + long bed = very wide turns). 4x4 mode is a little coarse. More aggressive looking factory tire options (factory look too small for the wheel well). Power towing mirros (avail. now?). Steering wheel radio controls (avail now). Heads up display.

ROUGH RIDE WITH LOTS OF POWER
By Dave

2001 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4dr Crew Cab LS 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 5M)

This truck rides so rough and is worthless for a long trip that would take more than 2hrs....Overall it has all the power anyone could ask for the 4WD performs great. It's a typical Chevy though, lots of rattles, and typical poor workmanship for chevy in the cabin. I'll buy a Ford next time! Oh and I almost forgot to mention TERRIBLE gas mileage. I get 10mpg on average! It kills my pocketbook for $1.90/gallon when I fill up.

4WD, POWER, Looks

Soften suspension, Gas Mileage!

I love my truck
By flaskerud

2001 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4dr Crew Cab LS 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 5M)

The first several months I would come home at night and tell my wife "I love my truck". She owns a 2000 Yukon, but we feel so much more secure and sit higher, so we use the truck more. I've towed a heavy construction trailer with a tractor and the rear bumper barely dropped. The rental shop was impressed. Also tow a 30 ft 9000 lb travel trailer with ease. My 6'6" and 400 lb son fits in the back seat only way

Engine power, LT interior comfort, towing button on shift lever, and exterior appearance

Telescoping side rearview mirrors, Better gas mileage. Best was 14 driving 55-60. Worst was 8.3 pulling 30 ft, 9000 lb trailer, cruise set at 75. Large turning radius

Murray's HD
By J Murray

2001 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4dr Extended Cab LT 2WD SB w/OnStar (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

Great truck for work, play, and family