Used 2001 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Regular Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Regular Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Silverado 2500HD model:

Nightmare
By HarleyFXDL

2001 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab LS 4WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 5M)

I bought this truck used with 72k miles. It has the 8.1/Allison combo. Right from the start the windshield washer,horn,interior lights did not work. I noticed many electrical glitches coming and going. Now the trans is giving me troubles not to mention the piston slap. Chevy refuses to take responsibilty for any of the issues. I understand the truck has 78k now and is 7 yrs old, but this many problems should not occur this early. Had Fords my whole life and never had this many problems. I tried Chevy and the problems never stop coming. They don't offer enough space to list all that has gone wrong. Chevy step up or you will lose customers!

Lots of power, nice ride.

Great Engine - Duramax
By Dave

2001 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab 4WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 5M)

Bought used from brother. 6.6L Diesel Duramax engine. Never a problem. Lots and lots of power with this engine. Maintenance easy for a DIY. I'll never go back to a gasoline powered P/U. I consistantly get 21 - 22 MPG on the highway, and 18 in town, when running with out a load. Everything solid, reliable and predictable. Would buy again in a minute. Brother chose this color. I'd never get navy blue. Requires lots of washing.

Engine and transmission.

Factory installed Line-X spray in bed liner would be a great option. Even though this is STD cab,would be nice to have 5 more inches behind the seats.

Powertrap
By Cassandra

2001 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab 2WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 5M)

Power wise I have been very happy with the truck, I pull a heavy gooseneck horse trailer cross country a couple times a year, as well as haul a lot of hay. Gas mileage stinks but, I expect that. It is very comfortable to drive also. The problem is the body design - the dang thing is literally coming to pieces. I live in a rural area with rough roads. This truck is just not designed to handle it. Soon I will have to have a flatbed put on because every brace on the wheel wells is broken loose and rattling. I have used G.M. trucks for 23 years, this one is the worst ever as far as durability. The next one will likely be a Dodge, or back to an older, tougher G.M.

The tow/haul mode is great and button easily accessible on the shifter. I love the captains chairs too. The high profile is good on rougher terrain and in pastures.

Easier access to enter and exit the cab, as well as maybe a pullout step to aid in checking oil, etc. This truck sets up high off the ground (which is good) and needs aids for shorter people to get in and out of comfortably. Do something about the design of bed, wheel wells, braces, etc.

great truck
By kevin

This is my first big truck of my own. I worked for a company and drove their trucks like this but they were poorly taken care of. I moved up from a S-10. This truck is great; lots of power, rides ok, very dependable, comfortable, quiet inside the cab -- not much road noise or wind noise.

POWER, looks, aftermarket upgrades available.

Big stock tires, better turning, BETTER GAS MILEAGE; I average about 12 with no load cruise set on 55.

Transmission Eater!
By wyomingwapiti

This is my work truck. Replaced a 98 K3500. I use this truck to pull heavy fifth wheel trailers. The duratec diesel engine is great for this. Loads of power w/ great gas mileage (20 mpg highway). I have the optional allison automatic transmission. The tranny is great for downshifting when pulling trailers. The tranny did shell out last year w/ 50,000 miles on the odometer. This cost $4500 to fix. After doing some research found this is a common problem on the 01 model. My fuel sending unit also went bad. Cost $800. Research also shows these trucks are prone to premature injector failure. I havent seen this yet though. Wish reliablity was better I guess.

Duratec engine

Chevy needs to address their Allison tranny issues and back them up.