2001 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Extended Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Silverado 2500HD model:
Siverado 2500 HD
By Jerri on 09/10/08 12:26 PM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab LS 2WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 5M)

One of the best trucks I have owned. We sometimes tow our 55 Chevy to shows and you never know it is back there. A lot of low end torque, great truck.

Murray's HD
By J Murray on 07/27/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab LT 2WD SB w/OnStar (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

Great truck for work, play, and family

2500hd Chevy
By beemer on 04/15/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

Excellent vehicle for towing a 5th wheel camper. The 8.1 and allison are a perfect match. Tows better than the cummins I used to have.

Excellent Work Horse!!!
By 6stringrevolver on 02/13/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab 2WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 5M)

Overall, the best truck I've ever owned or driven. It tows and hauls awesome. The ride is great! Seats 5 adults comfortable with the option of a 6th. Tough truck with a strong drive train!! I highly recommend it for anyone who is towing a trailer and needs to pack the family or a bunch of friends!! Very reliable and the electronic sensors make it so a dummy could maintain it!

a real solid performer
By hd baby on 01/18/04 00:00 AM (PST)

i really enjoy the 6.0 engine. it has plenty of power under any circumstance i have been able to throw at it. it has no knock. i am glad the ABS system is less touchy than in my 99 yukon. I am very impressed with the ride quality in this 3/4 ton, usually to have a large payload option you suffer in ride. not the case with this truck.

I Love my Truck
By COBIABOATS on 05/23/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

I don't think they thought out the location of the parking brake to well but I do love my HD. I research the 6.0 engine and chose it for the 300 horses it delivers. ( I use to have a 1978 Chevy with a 454). Under load it rides like my Sevile. While towing an 8,000 lb 26.5 Cobiaboat daycruiser I had to make an emergency stop to avoid hitting an airhead who cut me off. I went from 35 to zero on a downhill with my load and barely squeaked the tires. I only use my truck on weekends to tow my boat or my fifthwheel so I'll get 20 years out of this truck!

tow monster
By scubajohn on 03/19/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab LS 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 5M)

this truck is great if you want to tow large items, but really sucks up the gas to just drive around

2003 2500HD 4x4 ext.Cab SB
By Tim Ketterer on 01/20/03 00:00 AM (PST)

I've owned this truck for five months now. I tow a 6000 lb trailer over the mountian pass with it.The power is very good.Handles like a dream. I havent had any problems yet, no engine noise or cold start knock. I have been getting 12.5 mpg aroung city and while towing the trailer I get 10.6 mpg. The tow/haul mode on the transmission works well . It's worth it. The 6.0 motor doesn't sound like it is straining at all. The seats are comfortable for the wife nad me and the rear seat is pleanty roomy for the 10 year old boy. This is my third Chevy truck and the best one by far.

Shame on GM
By chevynomore on 11/20/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab LS 2WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 5M)

Purchased brand new. Several problems have developed: 1. Infamous GM piston slap, started at 11,000 miles; very bad now at 18,000. GM will not acknowledge problem. 2. Steering column clunk/rattle, common in many of these GMs. 3. Box sits crooked, common in many of these GMs. 4. Transfer case is very noisy. 5. Dashboard lighting problems.

buyer beware!
By chevynomore on 11/06/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab LS 4WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 5M)

Bought this pickup brand new - problems from the start, many of which other owners are also reporting. Worst problem is the notorious GM piston slap; started at 11000 miles and is getting worse - sounds like a diesel at startup. GM insists the piston slap is normal. Also, one side of the box is 2" lower than the other side, transfer case is very noisy, steering column rattles and thumps during turns. I do not expect these problems from a 2 year old, $30k vehicle. GM customer service is virtually non-existent.