2001 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Base Extended Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Silverado 2500HD model:

Sort Reviews by

Siverado 2500 HD
By Jerri

2001 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab LS 2WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 5M)

One of the best trucks I have owned. We sometimes tow our 55 Chevy to shows and you never know it is back there. A lot of low end torque, great truck.

Favorite Features

Plenty of room in the cab and pulling power

Suggested Improvements

$32,000 truck when new, the side molding should not be coming off

Murray's HD
By J Murray

2001 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab LT 2WD SB w/OnStar (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

Great truck for work, play, and family

2500hd Chevy
By beemer

Excellent vehicle for towing a 5th wheel camper. The 8.1 and allison are a perfect match. Tows better than the cummins I used to have.

Favorite Features

Drivetrain and ride quality

Suggested Improvements

Better fuel economy, haha.

Excellent Work Horse!!!
By 6stringrevolver

2001 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab 2WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 5M)

Overall, the best truck I've ever owned or driven. It tows and hauls awesome. The ride is great! Seats 5 adults comfortable with the option of a 6th. Tough truck with a strong drive train!! I highly recommend it for anyone who is towing a trailer and needs to pack the family or a bunch of friends!! Very reliable and the electronic sensors make it so a dummy could maintain it!

Favorite Features

One awesome hauler! Excellent handling and manueverability! Looks tough!

a real solid performer
By hd baby

i really enjoy the 6.0 engine. it has plenty of power under any circumstance i have been able to throw at it. it has no knock. i am glad the ABS system is less touchy than in my 99 yukon. I am very impressed with the ride quality in this 3/4 ton, usually to have a large payload option you suffer in ride. not the case with this truck.

Favorite Features

i was able to get power seats and still get a split bench which i wanted. pewter color really helps hide the dirt and new sctatches i am making.

Suggested Improvements

i wish the tailgate cables were replaced with the steel bars with hinges like on my old 1990 chevy.

I Love my Truck
By COBIABOATS

I don't think they thought out the location of the parking brake to well but I do love my HD. I research the 6.0 engine and chose it for the 300 horses it delivers. ( I use to have a 1978 Chevy with a 454). Under load it rides like my Sevile. While towing an 8,000 lb 26.5 Cobiaboat daycruiser I had to make an emergency stop to avoid hitting an airhead who cut me off. I went from 35 to zero on a downhill with my load and barely squeaked the tires. I only use my truck on weekends to tow my boat or my fifthwheel so I'll get 20 years out of this truck!

Favorite Features

four wheel disc brakes,tow mode,

Suggested Improvements

move the parking brake switch to a more traditional location

tow monster
By scubajohn

2001 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab LS 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 5M)

this truck is great if you want to tow large items, but really sucks up the gas to just drive around

Favorite Features

the engine power

Suggested Improvements

better fuel economy

2003 2500HD 4x4 ext.Cab SB
By Tim Ketterer

I've owned this truck for five months now. I tow a 6000 lb trailer over the mountian pass with it.The power is very good.Handles like a dream. I havent had any problems yet, no engine noise or cold start knock. I have been getting 12.5 mpg aroung city and while towing the trailer I get 10.6 mpg. The tow/haul mode on the transmission works well . It's worth it. The 6.0 motor doesn't sound like it is straining at all. The seats are comfortable for the wife nad me and the rear seat is pleanty roomy for the 10 year old boy. This is my third Chevy truck and the best one by far.

Favorite Features

For accessibility to the rear seat it's the two rear doors. The dual climate control is great for us. The wife is always colder than me so her controls are usually set hotter than mine.

Suggested Improvements

If you can afford it go for the Bose stereo system. I also sprayed the bed with LineX its really worth it. The boy wishes there was a plug in in the rear seat for his game boy. Nerf bars are nice to aid entry into the truck.

Shame on GM
By chevynomore

2001 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab LS 2WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 5M)

Purchased brand new. Several problems have developed: 1. Infamous GM piston slap, started at 11,000 miles; very bad now at 18,000. GM will not acknowledge problem. 2. Steering column clunk/rattle, common in many of these GMs. 3. Box sits crooked, common in many of these GMs. 4. Transfer case is very noisy. 5. Dashboard lighting problems.

Favorite Features

Engine was powerful before piston slap. Now I am afraid to accelerate for fear it will fly apart!

Suggested Improvements

Come on GM!! Subpar build quality. Will not stand by engineering mistake - how many loyal customers have been told the piston slap is 'normal'? I expect much more for $30,000.

buyer beware!
By chevynomore

2001 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab LS 4WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 5M)

Bought this pickup brand new - problems from the start, many of which other owners are also reporting. Worst problem is the notorious GM piston slap; started at 11000 miles and is getting worse - sounds like a diesel at startup. GM insists the piston slap is normal. Also, one side of the box is 2" lower than the other side, transfer case is very noisy, steering column rattles and thumps during turns. I do not expect these problems from a 2 year old, $30k vehicle. GM customer service is virtually non-existent.

Favorite Features

Engine does have adequate power, despite the worrisome, embarrassing piston slap.

Suggested Improvements

Engineering, design, testing upgrades. Quality control. Customer service. These engines should not have been shoved at the unknowing buyer. Now that they have, GM should admit to, and fix the priblem. Shame, Shame.