2001 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Silverado 2500HD model:
Best Truck
By Chevy Lover on 09/16/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4dr Crew Cab LS 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 5M)

Best truck has the 8.1 with the allison tranny. Has power and with a full load it won't bog down. All one ton and in great condition lots of miles over 216k but still runs strong, I never have a problem with the truck, I use it to pull and drive on a daily basis. The 4x4 works great too.When needing to it will turn all 4 tires without a problem. With all the normal maintenance it runs strong with no problems. I highly recommend this truck for any occasion or any reason.

Siverado 2500 HD
By Jerri on 09/10/08 12:26 PM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4dr Extended Cab LS 2WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 5M)

One of the best trucks I have owned. We sometimes tow our 55 Chevy to shows and you never know it is back there. A lot of low end torque, great truck.

Nightmare
By HarleyFXDL on 12/18/07 16:03 PM (PST)

2001 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 2dr Regular Cab LS 4WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 5M)

I bought this truck used with 72k miles. It has the 8.1/Allison combo. Right from the start the windshield washer,horn,interior lights did not work. I noticed many electrical glitches coming and going. Now the trans is giving me troubles not to mention the piston slap. Chevy refuses to take responsibilty for any of the issues. I understand the truck has 78k now and is 7 yrs old, but this many problems should not occur this early. Had Fords my whole life and never had this many problems. I tried Chevy and the problems never stop coming. They don't offer enough space to list all that has gone wrong. Chevy step up or you will lose customers!

Knock Knock
By Rick Kurland on 10/16/07 17:09 PM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4dr Crew Cab LT 2WD LB w/OnStar (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

2WD. Bought this truck used from a friends dealer. Love everything except the engine knock. Keep hearing the knock is OK. Seems to have plenty of power but still don't trust the noise. Plenty of room for a family of five pulling a 30 ft camper. Still looking for the answer to the knock.

2001 2500HD
By Swiech on 03/23/07 11:17 AM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4dr Crew Cab LT 4WD SB w/OnStar (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I have the pop-up goose neck hitch and the 8.1L engine. Massive power, but massive gas guzzler. It will pass everything but a gas station.

Great Engine - Duramax
By Dave on 02/23/07 04:01 AM (PST)

2001 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 2dr Regular Cab 4WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 5M)

Bought used from brother. 6.6L Diesel Duramax engine. Never a problem. Lots and lots of power with this engine. Maintenance easy for a DIY. I'll never go back to a gasoline powered P/U. I consistantly get 21 - 22 MPG on the highway, and 18 in town, when running with out a load. Everything solid, reliable and predictable. Would buy again in a minute. Brother chose this color. I'd never get navy blue. Requires lots of washing.

2001 Chevy 2500HD
By Dave in Michigan on 11/28/06 08:01 AM (PST)

2001 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4dr Crew Cab LS 2WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 5M)

Purchased at 30k miles, now 52k, no mechanical problems at all, runs great. Factory Firestone tires were terrible for ride and traction, switched to 265 BFG All Terrains, huge improvement. I like everything but the gas mileage. I get about 11.5 mpg.

Powertrap
By Cassandra on 02/25/06 08:07 AM (PST)

2001 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 2dr Regular Cab 2WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 5M)

Power wise I have been very happy with the truck, I pull a heavy gooseneck horse trailer cross country a couple times a year, as well as haul a lot of hay. Gas mileage stinks but, I expect that. It is very comfortable to drive also. The problem is the body design - the dang thing is literally coming to pieces. I live in a rural area with rough roads. This truck is just not designed to handle it. Soon I will have to have a flatbed put on because every brace on the wheel wells is broken loose and rattling. I have used G.M. trucks for 23 years, this one is the worst ever as far as durability. The next one will likely be a Dodge, or back to an older, tougher G.M.

Dang Good Truck
By jdrx3 on 10/21/05 10:52 AM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4dr Crew Cab LT 4WD LB w/OnStar (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

This is a very good truck for pulling something less than 12,000 pounds. It is a very good truck and I haven't had any problems with it. It has 335 horse power with 385 pounds of torque.

great truck
By kevin on 07/13/05 11:55 AM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 2dr Regular Cab 2WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 5M)

This is my first big truck of my own. I worked for a company and drove their trucks like this but they were poorly taken care of. I moved up from a S-10. This truck is great; lots of power, rides ok, very dependable, comfortable, quiet inside the cab -- not much road noise or wind noise.