Used 2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Silverado 2500 model:

Good truck but problems
By mars

2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 4dr Crew Cab LT 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

Overall the truck has been good. But 5 injectors and drivers seat adjust mech (under warranty, but still truck is down) instrument panel cluster is a joke. Whole companies are devoted to rebuilding IPC on all makes. So once again truck is down while you get to pay $500 for a rebuilt defective IPC. (GM has announced they will pay for this but we have seen no money). OnStar was good for unlocking doors and diagnosing ground faults on several glow plugs. Once the "free" runs out it is easier to hide an extra key. OS's peace of mind comes at a cost. If you can afford an expensive truck then be prepared for expensive upkeep. It is a good and powerful work truck

Favorite Features

Climate control, towing capacity.

Suggested Improvements

An IPC that works more than 2000 hrs. Injectors ($1000 per installed) that work. From new we had problems with injectors. A warranty that demonstrates to loyal customers that GM has confidence in their ability to build a quality vehicle.

'04 Chevy Crew Cab with Quadrasteer
By tschertz

2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 4dr Crew Cab LT 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

This truck is great. It rides nice and has the power to pull. It is actually our family car. This truck is our answer to the Minivan. 2 adults, 2 kids, and 2 dogs. Plenty of room. The wife and the kids drive it more then me. The interior is great, and has more features then most new luxury cars today. My wife loves the fact that it has quadrasteer. She can park this 20' truck in spots tighter than most cars. It has a tighter turning radius than our S10 Blazer. The quadrasteer also give me great stability when towing a trailer. However, with the quadrasteer you can only get the 4.10 gear ratio, and that means low fuel economy. I wish they had the quadrasteer with a 3.73.

Favorite Features

Interior is very nice, Quiet, comfortable. Quadrasteer is awesome! Memory seats. Smooth ride, great on long trips.

Suggested Improvements

Different gear ratio when you get a quadrasteer axle. Needs 3.73. Auto dimming mirrors don't work well when topper is on. Power steering pump whine, has been replaced twice (under warranty, next one will be aftermarket pump). OnStar stinks. Never pay for it.

'04 Chevrolet
By Robert

2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 4dr Crew Cab LT 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

Plenty of power from the 6.0L engine. Fuel mileage has been 14.5 mph in town and up to 17 mpg on the highway with the 3.73 ratio. It also makes light work out of a trailer. It's a comfortable way to travel with up to 4 adults.

Favorite Features

Heated leather seats. Reserve power from the 6.0L.

Suggested Improvements

Leather on front seat cushions.

Silverado 4x4 2500 HD ex cab
By Lee Beckwith

2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 4dr Extended Cab LT 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

Absolutely the most dissapointing purchase of my life.It shakes badly between 70 and 80 mph. I don't tow heavy and don't off road it it has stock rims and tires and it's on it's third pinion bearing. I can't trust it to travel. And it dosn't even have 25K on it yet. My 99 RAM had 145K and I would trust it to this day anywhere anytime.

Favorite Features

Chevy loyalty. And an undeserved good resale value.

Smooth Ride
By kws

2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 4dr Crew Cab LS 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

Great driving vehicle for a 3/4 ton! Have never ridden in a smoother riding 3/4 ton. Interior is nice, roomy and comfortable.

Favorite Features

Power! Has great towing power and is very reliable. Also cab is very quiet, hardly any road noise.

Suggested Improvements

My biggest complaint is I think the door trim should go all the way back to end of the truck like some other models.