Used 2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500

View reviews for a specific Silverado 2500 model:

Like a rock
By Joe Harper

2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 4dr Crew Cab LS Rwd SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

Bought this truck two years ago. This is a fun, powerful, mean, attention grabbing truck. It is not quick or nimble but has incredible highway manners. The 6.0 engine is sublime on cruise at 80 mph and at idle. Only had two problems in that time, the instrument cluster (replaced by the dealer under a recall) and a steering wheel shaft bearing. After thinking I was hearing a knock in the engine, I read about using 89 octane and the knocking stopped and I got 10% better mileage. The stock tires were 245/65/16 or about 29 inches, they're just too puny for this truck. 265/75/16 is pretty standard on these, and Load Range E is a must, I see 15-16 mpg highway. Do yourself a favor, get a Chevy.

Favorite Features

Engine is sublime, power, cruising, towing capacity = Detroit Muscle. Large bed (6.5') Stock 2" lift block on rear leafs. Stock wheels are easy cleaning. His and her thermostats. Spacious interior. Large side mirrors. Torsion bar suspension makes it easy to get a little lift and a 33" tire up front.

Suggested Improvements

Better paint quality control, mine's black and has awful orange peel all over it. Plastic fender flares and bumpers fade too quick and it's hard to get wax off of them. Large vertical surface on front of hood collects bugs - a bug guard is a must. After market radio -- can't find the switch wire.

Silverado Duramax 2500
By silverado power

2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 4dr Crew Cab LT 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

i have my Silverado with the Duramax engine for three years and not once has it broken down. We pull 13 000lbs and it's a beast.

Favorite Features

Allison transmision

2004 crew cab Silverado 2500 2wd
By chevy man

2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 4dr Crew Cab LS Rwd SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

Love this truck. Never short on power. Put a kn intake on it and power and acceleration has improved even more. Me and my wifes daily driver have had problems with electronics and radio luckily covered under warranty. Despite problems though me and my wife still love this truck, however I have not ever seen this truck get over 15 mpg city or hwy. I want to know what you guys getting 17 are doing. Overall great dependable and more than able truck. I would put it against Ford, Dodge, or Toyota any day

Favorite Features

Power in the engine and comfort in the cab

Suggested Improvements

Chevy has always had a questionable reputation when it comes to there electronics. I would suggest looking into improving them or making them more durable to last longer

Great truck
By lbsorensen

2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 4dr Crew Cab LS 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

We bought this truck 2 years ago. My husband is in construction and needed a work truck, but we also needed something that suit the family with 3 teens. Love this truck, lots of room, lots of power.

Favorite Features

4 doors, stereo stays on after shutting vehicle down until you open a door.

Suggested Improvements

Would have been nicer to have bigger "manly" tires, and better gas mileage, when towing its horrible.

Awesome truck
By cph 360

2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 4dr Crew Cab LS 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I have owned many trucks and all I can say is my 1988 2500 2wd 5.7 regular cab has 248,000 miles and still performs like new. I purchased 2004 2500 4wd crew cab 6.0 v8 last month and all I can say is this truck is truly superior too all other trucks. Ride looks handling and most of all performance. The power is unbelievable and gas mileage is 14 mpg around town and 17.8 on the highway, what more can I say great job gm. Ford, Dodge, Toyota step aside, I"m a GM man for ever.

Favorite Features

Power, ride, reliability, and stereo system.

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage if possible.