Used 2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 Crew Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Chevrolet Silverado-2500 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Silverado 2500 model:

A Working/Playing Man's Truck!
By johnterry

2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab LS 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

Bought this truck used with 115,000 miles on it for a bargin price at the GM dealer. Wow! Nice! I've owned many of work trucks but this one is the beast of beasts. 15 city & highway, pulling or empty is consistant. Power going up hills equal to running on level ground.Expensive to maintain, yes, but, a small price in comparision with total reliability. Bounced between Ford & GM, but now, I'm totally sold on GM. I've never owned a new truck, it's the used ones that really prove themselves...LME-DJ tested!

Favorite Features

I haven't found anything I don't like about this truck.

Suggested Improvements

Backing sensor would be sweet.

Great truck
By joan

2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab LS Rwd SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

We bought this truck when it was new with only 12 miles on it. I love it except for the mpg. It's never, highway or city, gotten over 15 mpg. All the electronic problems we had were taken care of with the factory paying because they new of the defects. Tires for it are expensive but i guess they would be for any truck this size. Overall it's a great truck!

Favorite Features

The interior is really roomy and comfortable

Suggested Improvements

gas mileage

time to buy a real truck not a silverado
By cjk

2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab LS 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

This was at first a good truck at 67,000 miles when the transmission went out on me the dealer told me I need a new transmission this is not good for gm I just go back and forth to work. No towing no plowing so gm said they will not help do. Don't buy gm trucks

Favorite Features

NONE

Suggested Improvements

Rethink how to satisfy your customers

Like a rock
By Joe Harper

2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab LS Rwd SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

Bought this truck two years ago. This is a fun, powerful, mean, attention grabbing truck. It is not quick or nimble but has incredible highway manners. The 6.0 engine is sublime on cruise at 80 mph and at idle. Only had two problems in that time, the instrument cluster (replaced by the dealer under a recall) and a steering wheel shaft bearing. After thinking I was hearing a knock in the engine, I read about using 89 octane and the knocking stopped and I got 10% better mileage. The stock tires were 245/65/16 or about 29 inches, they're just too puny for this truck. 265/75/16 is pretty standard on these, and Load Range E is a must, I see 15-16 mpg highway. Do yourself a favor, get a Chevy.

Favorite Features

Engine is sublime, power, cruising, towing capacity = Detroit Muscle. Large bed (6.5') Stock 2" lift block on rear leafs. Stock wheels are easy cleaning. His and her thermostats. Spacious interior. Large side mirrors. Torsion bar suspension makes it easy to get a little lift and a 33" tire up front.

Suggested Improvements

Better paint quality control, mine's black and has awful orange peel all over it. Plastic fender flares and bumpers fade too quick and it's hard to get wax off of them. Large vertical surface on front of hood collects bugs - a bug guard is a must. After market radio -- can't find the switch wire.

Silverado Duramax 2500
By silverado power

2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab LT 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

i have my Silverado with the Duramax engine for three years and not once has it broken down. We pull 13 000lbs and it's a beast.

Favorite Features

Allison transmision