Used 1999 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Most Helpful|
Great Truck
By Bill

1999 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD LS 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I love this truck. 6.0 has more power than I need. It looks good and has been extremely reliable. Only maintenance needed has been oil and filter changes and 2 sets of tires. Brakes are still original after 125,000 miles. Push button 4WD is nice. Only problem is gas gauge doesn't work between 3/4 and full. Truck rides well but not as soft as a 1/2 ton Chevy. Gas mileage has averaged 14 mpg. Not great but not bad for a 3/4 ton 4WD. I definitely recommend and would buy another GM truck.

Favorite Features

6.0's 300Hp, truck's styling, comfortable cab

Suggested Improvements

Improve gas gauge reliability. How hard can that be?

Total Truck
By Graham Bowman

1999 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD LS 2dr Regular Cab 4WD LB

This truck drives and handles like a car.Very comfortable on long trips towing a thirty foot trailer.

Favorite Features

Good tow vehicle with the 6 litre engine

Suggested Improvements

Put the radio controls on the steering wheel

One good pickup
By scottmason

1999 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD LS 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I love this truck. I hate the gas mileage. But it has a lot of power for pulling trailers. I bought this truck two reasons. One to pull my fifth wheel camper & boat. Second, to go hunting. In North Dakota, you can pull tandem trailers behind your pickup if the first trailer is a fifth wheel with brakes. This truck can pull all day. But be careful in the heat (>90 ) the GMs overheat. I see them on the side of the road. It has not happened to me personally. When pulling tandem trailers I get 6 to 8 mpg. So you really need to watch your fuel gauge, if it worked correctly. Maintenance on this vehicle is oil changes and tires.

Favorite Features

Push button four wheel drive, hands down. Next, powerful 6.0L engine.

Suggested Improvements

Fuel gauge that indicates the correct amount of fuel in the tank. My 3/4 full position means I have a half tank. Not a good thing when pulling a trailer.

Warrning!! Watch out for this truck
By Carney

1999 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD LS 3dr Extended Cab 4WD LB

71,000 miles the transfer case (NVG246) electronic shifting developed 3 holes. Cost to repair $1400. Rear brakes ruined fluid contamination. Truck is highway driven only, no off road, or heavy towing. Transfer case is poorly designed and built to fail. Internal oil pump wiggles and wears holes in the case. Repair shop said they see A LOT(!) of this. Replacement parts are the same as the old ones GM and New Venture's response, “out of warranty YOUR problem”! Nice response for a truck that coast $31,000 new.

Favorite Features

Use to like it alot, now it's a money pit.

Suggested Improvements

Get a real transfer case! Stay away from Bob Mcdorman Chevrolet in Canal Winchester Ohio, Service manager told GM customer service that the problem was "Abuse" with indications of "Owner inflicted damage" nice comment from the dealer I purchased from.