2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500HD 6.0L V8 4x4 4-speed Automatic 6.6 ft. Bed Consumer Review - Work and Family

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500HD - Consumer Review

Work and Family
By Mavis on

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500HD 4dr Crew Cab LT 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I needed a truck for plowing and occasional hauling. This truck is definitely not my daily driver due to it's poor fuel consumption. Speaking of which, I get typically 17mpg highway during summer (I have a green foot, so don't expect quite as much) which is decent IMO for a work truck. I still feel like they could do better. Interior is great despite it's plastic dash. Forgive it this though cause it is a work truck. But it definitely gives you luxury too: Decent stereo, comfy leather seats, pretty quiet on the HWY. Load up the back and it is almost as smooth as my wife's Escalade! IMO, engine should be SOHC. 300hp out of 6.0 is poor--6.0 HO in the Escalade is FANTASTIC!

Favorite Features

fantastic leather seats, good Bose stereo (though not quite Escalade standards), love 4-dr pickups, quiet, built rather well, great looking truck, good headlights (though aimed a little high from factory in case you haven't noticed on the road), true work truck that pleasantly escorts you home too.

Suggested Improvements

6-spd transmission that downshifts sooner, engine crys restricted--give it more valves! New Chevrolets have better interior materials, day-time lamps burn out prematurely