Used 2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500HD Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Silverado 1500HD model:

4 Dr LT 4WD Crew Cab SB HD
By dakota_tech

2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500HD 4dr Crew Cab LT 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

This is a lot of truck but it does have its flaws. Given there is limited availability for full four door trucks from GM this is the best option besides an Avalanche. Overall the truck is a joy to drive with “plenty of power”. The interior is awesome with as many features as a luxury car. The only complaint is the tapping in the engine. This noise Called "piston slap" usually is only noticeable for the first 30 sec to a minute until the engine warms. I have an 84 Ford F150 with 177K miles with the same problem, knocks when it starts then quits. Every mechanic I talk to says engine tapping is just part of owning a Chevy.

Favorite Features

Heated leather memory seats. Lots of power even though I don't use it.

Suggested Improvements

Engine tapping noise due to piston slap. I like quite engines. Chevy has been building V8 engines like this for many years with great success. This should not be happening from a V8 Chevy engine (fixed in 03 models). Gas mileage is poor but its normal for a big truck.

Pleased with purchase
By lancelot91

2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500HD 4dr Crew Cab LS 2WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I have owned alot of chevy trucks and I must say this is the best one yet. Upgraded to the 1500 HD to pull 7300lb boat. Lots of power and great stance. Stable ride while pulling heavy loads long distances. Also has excellant braking with a firm pedal. Roomy interior and friends enjoy the rear console and cup holders. Can't complain. Will definitly trade for another one in the future.

Favorite Features

Towing capacity. Ease of driving. Stereo visability

Suggested Improvements

Better front cup holders. Better milage. Either a lockable console or glove box.

In Love with Our Truck
By cdbaran

2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500HD 4dr Crew Cab LT 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

From the get-go my boyfriend and I have been thrilled with this truck. The initial purchase (over the phone-sight unseen) to 20k/m later this truck has exceeded our expectations. Mechanically nothing has gone wrong, though we are fenatics about maintenance. Don't get me wrong, this truck does work (long road trips, boats and tons of SCUBA gear) and even then it is more comfortable than our other vehicle (Audi A6).

Favorite Features

Everything, especially the OnStar feature.

Suggested Improvements

Heated Steering Wheel (for the cold New England months). Missed out on the steering wheel controls for the radio by one model year (see 2003 model).

Engine noise
By cortner

2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500HD 4dr Crew Cab LT 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I have been happy with the truck itself, but not with the engine. At 20000 KM, the engine started to knock. The dealer says it is 'normal' and refuses to deal with the issue. Idling smoothness and mileage have also been affected. I caution anyone buying a Chev truck to do so only if the engine has an extended warranty.

great truck from a ford lover
By RonJ30

2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500HD 4dr Crew Cab LS 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

great truck, carries a trailer awesome, four wheel works great, and i love the auto 4 wheel drive. I am a ford lover so getting this truck was hard to stomach but i am glad i did