2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Consumer Review: Like a Rock - Again

2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 - Consumer Review

Z71 LTZ Crew Cab Pickup (5.3L V8 FFV 4x4 6-speed Automatic 5.8 ft. Bed)

Like a Rock - Again
By filmwritin on

2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Z71 LTZ 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

Chevy is back on top of the light truck market. The 2014 Silverado 1500 truly rocks. While the sheet metal is only a tad different than the 2013, the interior is a quantum leap forward and the power plants truly advanced. I have owned Ford, Dodge, and Toyota pickups, but never a Chevy. Being back in the market, I drove them all. The Chevy sold me first turn of the key. I ended up with a highly optioned Crew Cab Z71 4WD LTZ. The sticker was healthy, but well worth it. It's a thrill every time I get behind the wheel. I've heard the term "Cowboy Cadillac" before, now I know what it means. Chevy's marketing agency needs to revive the old "Like a Rock" ads. They fit this ride.

Interior lay out. Bucket seats and console. The Instruments are bright and easy to read. The touch screen Nav and stereo controls are simple. Handling is superb and the ride is amazing for a 4WD that is sprung for off road enjoyment. The fuel economy is unsurpassed for a beefy truck with a strong V8 power plant. I am a tall male (6'4") and not thin by any means. This truck has leg room to spare and a ton of space left behind me for even a long legged rear seat passenger. The seats are just as comfortable as can be. Bring back the drive-in movie!

The fact they now offer a Z71 trim on a 2WD platform takes away from the "special" feel of the true Z71 4WD. They need to add a good graphic to set them apart. Both seem to bear the same Z71 sticker. Maybe a 4x4 graphic or emblem. They should consider a more rebellious off road package that better rivals the Ford Raptor. People will pay the price for the gritty, aggressive off road looks and capability.