2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Consumer Review: Need better quality control

2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 - Consumer Review

LTZ Crew Cab Pickup (5.3L V8 FFV 6-speed Automatic 5.8 ft. Bed)

Need better quality control
By jenga70 on

2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ 4dr Crew Cab 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

I traded in my 2002 Trailblazer this winter for the new 2014 Silverado for my daily driver, hunting and hauling the boat around. I bought this in February and it was very cold. The morning after after I brought it home, the truck would not start, just a click sound, full electrical power and battery was good. A few more attempts with the key and it started. This happened multiple times. Read on some truck forums that there was a bad batch of starters. I had the dealer replace the starter and no issue since. I rated reliability as poor as this 'new truck with less than 40 miles' could have left me stranded in woods when it was dangerously cold.

Heated seats work great. Impressed with the stability control feature. I used to always spin out a little when I had to make a hard right over some railroad tracks (the wooden center filled section that gets really slippery in the winter). Not with this truck, it tracks right around and I see the light flash on the dash. Gas mileage is great and I hardly notice when it goes into 4cyl mode. Sold me over the Ford 5.0 F150. Excellent towing. Hardly noticed any effort when I was pulling a 6 x 12 trailer.

Radio is absolute junk for reception. I had a 'kraco' growing up that was better (and that is just sad). Good thing I got this fancy 8 inch screen so I can give it the stink eye when it starts to get alot of static. When coasting, I get a vibration similar to driving over a worn out rumble strip around 1100 rpm. Need to unlock the torque convertor or something to fix that. Rear wheel inner fender well liners could come down further to protect the frame and just look more finished.