A Great Truck Hamstrung by an awful tranny and Fuel management system
By m1tanker on
2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Z71 LTZ 4dr Crew Cab 6.5 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 6A)
I traded my '07 Avalanche for the '14 Silverado thinking the new motor and 6 speed tranny would be a path to better fuel economy. Not so much. The tranny constantly hunts for the proper gear and the AFM system is so cludgy that the whole truck lurches when it goes in and out of V4 mode. Its been to the dealer for the recall to remap the idle which has lowered the already low city MPG from 17 to 16 (sorry performance for a standard cab). I tried installing a Diablo tuner to fix the AFM but they're maps weren't any better. They just turned off the V4 mode, which made the fuel economy even worse. It's a shame because other than the mapping and tranny I enjoy the features of the truck
Favorite Features
Handles amazingly well for a truck of its size. zero to 60 to get on the highway is a breeze. Like the step slot on the rear bumper. excellent fit and finish. remote start is very handy.
Suggested Improvements
Smaller display on the standard cab sucks. Why did chevy discriminate? Also, no leather option on standard cab so had to get them dealer installed. I know, Chevy sells 20 crew cabs for every standard cab, but it still shows they know nothing about the demographics of those "likely" to purchase a standard cab. Main review details how Chevy took a brilliant engine and saddled it with an awful fuel management system and 6 speed auto tranny. Congrats Chevy, you made a diehard chevy guy a non-chevy guy for his trucks from now on.