2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Silverado 1500 model:
Need better quality control
By jenga70 on 04/19/14 20:37 PM (PDT)

2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ 4dr Crew Cab 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

I traded in my 2002 Trailblazer this winter for the new 2014 Silverado for my daily driver, hunting and hauling the boat around. I bought this in February and it was very cold. The morning after after I brought it home, the truck would not start, just a click sound, full electrical power and battery was good. A few more attempts with the key and it started. This happened multiple times. Read on some truck forums that there was a bad batch of starters. I had the dealer replace the starter and no issue since. I rated reliability as poor as this 'new truck with less than 40 miles' could have left me stranded in woods when it was dangerously cold.

Problem changing between 4 and 8 cylinders
By jjj32 on 04/18/14 13:42 PM (PDT)

2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Z71 LTZ 4dr Crew Cab 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

I just purchased the Silverado 2014, less than 1500 miles. It squeaks each time it changes from 4 to 8 cylinders. Dealer said that nothing could be done. They could repeat the problem but said that GM had no resolution. This is most annoying to say the least. I'll track each time I take it in for repair; if they continue to say it can't be fixed I'll file under the state lemon law. Too bad, really was looking forward to my new truck.

nice truck for the value
By biggunnzz1 on 04/10/14 00:09 AM (PDT)

2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Work Truck 2dr Regular Cab SB w/2WT (4.3L 6cyl 6A)

I have to say I am very impressed with how the truck drives and feels on the road. I've owned a few 4x4's in my time and driving this truck even though its not a 4x4 it seems like it. For the power of a V6 to perform as this truck does is outstanding. Im about 500 miles into my first ever new vehicle and I'm in awe. I did have one hiccup it rained hard one day drove through some puddles and check engine light came on. the next day it was gone. Gonna have to check it out next rain. Overall I'm very satisfied with my purchase and would recommend to any new buyer.

Vibrate, Shake & Shudder
By bugsy4 on 03/28/14 06:29 AM (PDT)

2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Z71 LT 2dr Regular Cab SB (4.3L 6cyl 6A)

Hi, Took delivery at the end of Feb.2014 and has spent 19 days back at the dealer for a vibrating problem that comes and goes while on the highway. Every time that I brought the problem up to the service manager he would first say that it was fine but then would work on it. After trying to fix it themselves the dealership called in an engineer from Chevy that just keep throwing parts at it. In the end they placed a new rear axel in the truck and admitted that they have had to replace a lot of them. Well I must have gotten another bad one because the more I drive it the worst that it is getting. At this point The district Manager of Chevy refuses to work on her any more and I am Not Happy!

A Great Truck Hamstrung by an awful tranny and Fuel management system
By m1tanker on 03/06/14 11:39 AM (PST)

2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Z71 LTZ 4dr Crew Cab 6.5 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

I traded my '07 Avalanche for the '14 Silverado thinking the new motor and 6 speed tranny would be a path to better fuel economy. Not so much. The tranny constantly hunts for the proper gear and the AFM system is so cludgy that the whole truck lurches when it goes in and out of V4 mode. Its been to the dealer for the recall to remap the idle which has lowered the already low city MPG from 17 to 16 (sorry performance for a standard cab). I tried installing a Diablo tuner to fix the AFM but they're maps weren't any better. They just turned off the V4 mode, which made the fuel economy even worse. It's a shame because other than the mapping and tranny I enjoy the features of the truck

so far so good
By marksricker on 03/05/14 05:21 AM (PST)

2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Work Truck 4dr Double Cab SB w/1WT (4.3L 6cyl 6A)

Very nice truck for the money. The 4x4 is a "real" 4x4 not some flick a switch and hope it works deal Good MPG as well Over 21 MPG average with the V 6

Z71
By fgearhead440 on 02/25/14 16:56 PM (PST)

2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Z71 LTZ 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 6.5 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

I looked at dodge, ford and Chevrolet and choose the Chevrolet for price. I now have 700 miles on my truck with no mechanical issues or ride issues and is very comfortable and fun to drive. the only problem I have had is keeping the tire pressure up but that's because of the cold weather. I have plenty of power and great fuel economy with the 4-8 set up. the transmission works great and is very smooth, so smooth I don't even feel it shift but know its working great by watching the tachometer. Now Edmunds doesn't list my actual truck I bought. It's a 2014 crew cab Z71 LT 4X4 6'6'' box with the 5.3 motor. Have the 8'' touch screen love it. Great Truck!!!

Loved it at first....growing concerned
By autoindustry1 on 01/24/14 11:07 AM (PST)

2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Z71 LTZ 4dr Crew Cab 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

I loved this truck at first. Great ride, fuel economy and interior comfort/features. I'm starting to have several issues of major concern. My truck starts very hard in cold weather. Several revolutions of the engine before it'll fire up. Getting worse. I also have a distinct coolant smell coming from the truck after it's gotten warm. There is a vibration I've noticed at freeway speeds in the drivetrain that's starting to drive me nuts. I also have to bring the truck into the dealer for 2 recalls. My windshield has cracked and I don't believe it's anything that I've done. GM spec'd the glass too thin to save weight??? The truck is a bit jerky to drive through various speeds. Not

New Model Year - Unreliable
By pclay on 01/18/14 13:42 PM (PST)

2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

Our new 2014 Silverado is good looking, very comfortable and fun to drive. Unfortunately it has been plagued with several problems which detract from the good points. For example, the truck has had starting problems during cold weather which would make us very hesitant to drive very far from home during winter months. Also, if you were used to, say, a 2010 Silverado and used remote start, the 2014 acts very differently. Our 2010 would quickly warm the cab and heated seats but the 2014s' seats will not feel ward to the touch although Chevrolet says that they do come on. Features advertised such as blue LED lighting behind the radio knobs do not work.

Safety Problem - rear head restraints in crew cab
By jef14silverado on 01/06/14 20:30 PM (PST)

2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Z71 LTZ 4dr Crew Cab 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

This is a very nice truck with a significant safety issue if you need adults to ride in the back seat. The head restraints do not move up high enough to protect someone over about 5'3" during a rear end impact. My 2005 Sierra crew cab had restraints that moved up considerably higher. I registered a complaint with safercar.gov and emailed a complaint to Chevy Customer Service. I have also written a letter to Chevy explaining my complaint. I did receive a response to my email saying thanks for the feedback and it will be taken into consideration in future designs. This is unacceptable. I and others have the unsafe current model. If I would have realized this, I would have bought the Ram.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 in VA is:

$145 per month*