Used 2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Double Cab Consumer Reviews - 19 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Double Cab - Consumer Reviews

2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Double Cab

View reviews for a specific Silverado 1500 model:

This one's a dud
By Jenny Carlson

2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Double Cab LT 4dr Double Cab SB (4.3L 6cyl 6A)

Only 17k miles on this truck after 2 years of ownership. At this point I'm even hearing from service people that this year 2014 Double Cabs are trouble. The paint job is the cheapest I've ever seen and started chipping the first week. The dash came loose and had to be "tightened". Now I have a horrible smell coming from the HVAC vents. TURN RADIUS is awful. Didn't realize how bad until I rented a truck (happened to be Ram - same class as my truck size) and it was like night and day. No problem turning, u-turning, parking, etc in the Ram. Hate all those things in my Chevy. (I'm a repeat Chevy owner and never had such low quality) I'm actually worried about the value of my vehicle down the road when all the problems become public knowledge and it's branded a bad year to buy. The responsiveness is like driving a 50's or 60's vehicle instead of 2014. Sluggish.

In addition, Chevy has moved to a new fabric for their interiors. As a result the interior is not nearly as comfortable as older models. They say the new fabric is easier to clean. Well I have found the opposite to be true. Having a dog that I like to take with me, has been a nightmare. The fabric attracts the hair and actually gets stuck in the weave of the material. I have to take a rubber brush as hard as I can to "comb" the hair out of the seat material, while I have a vacuum in the other hand to try and grab the hair as soon as it's even partially free from the material. Previous seat fabrics were never a problem to clean and vacuum hair.

Service reps actually had the nerve to tell me I just needed to change the setting on my AC/Heat to exterior air before turning off and getting out of the vehicle. That somehow the way I use my HVAC is causing the problem! Every concern I have bought up to service is dismissed immediately as something I must be doing wrong. And that was from the Service department manager! In addition when the dealer "fixed" the dash, they managed to put a dent in the door of my truck. While it's now scheduled to be fixed and they took ownership, seems to me maybe they need to look within for who is doing something wrong as relates to these trucks.

I have 2 positives for this truck: 1. The stay in place floor mats. 2. The 4-door double cab as an in-between to the crew cab.

I have now contact Chevrolet corporate. So far I'm being put off in a noncommittal let's get dealer to address issues… Really? Don't really think a dealer can fix an inferior product with design flaws.

Works fine for me
By George

2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Double Cab Work Truck 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB w/2WT (4.3L 6cyl 6A)

I have a 2014 2WT Double Cab 4x4 truck with the 4.3 engine. I'm very pleased with the vehicle. The 2WT package is a great value in my opinion. The truck is very comfortable & surprisingly good on gas. The bluetooth with phone is a but quirky but once I figured out the the system, it works ok. Took it on a 500 mile trip & was a very comfortable ride. For what I paid, I'm happy with my purchase

6 month old 2014 Silverado Clunking Truck
By Brian

2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Double Cab Work Truck 4dr Double Cab SB w/1WT (4.3L 6cyl 6A)

Within last month when i go to slow down it makes a clunking noises underneath. Sounds like the driveshaft or u joint is clunking. Took to dealer they had it 4 days and told me it was fine. They said everything is normal. It also has rattling noises in cab. So a truck that i bought new with 11,000 miles on it today making clunking noises is normal. Well that sucks. The dealer is of no help they say GM says its normal too.

Drove my chevy to a levy
By Mark p

2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Double Cab LTZ 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

Ok 2014 silverado Texas .would never buy another .would never buy from reliable chevy again .had issues with a truck so they took it back and force of hand me into a newer 2014 I like the truck but wow what a pice of cap now has had electronic problem transfer motor vibration and other issues. To to de as let replace coil 3 times a\c went out had to fix that .transfer keeps slipping gears like stuck in neutral. Dealer says it's normal. Won't do anything .call gm hot line can't get them to do anything wish I could get rid of it

Rough rider
By Brian

2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Double Cab LT 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 6A)

This was my first brand new vehicle and I was excited for it. I have been wanting a brand new Silverado for a while so I went down to the dealership and test drove one. I loved it right off, it had all the features I wanted and then some. The truck rode smooth and quiet so I pulled the trigger and traded in my 05 sierra. All was great until I hit about 10,000 miles...

Ride:
All of sudden the ride became rough and everything in the interior began rattling. Running over an asphalt repair strip was felt and the littlest of bumps in the road felt like I ran over a huge pothole. Driving around town which used to be a comfortable and pleasant experience has turned into feeling like I am being launched out of my seat when I hit a bump or go over a small dip in the road.

Technology:
My only complaint is the bluetooth quality when making calls. People on the other end have a hardtime hearing and understanding me. My wife's car (2014 Malibu LTZ) does not have that issue.

Engine:
My truck has the 4.3L V6. I was a little hesistant at first, but after test driving it I was impressed with the power. It felt more peppy than my last truck which was a 2005 GMC Sierra with the 5.3L V8. The test drive route we took was primarily flat so the lack of power had gone unnoticed. As I started driving the truck around my town, which is primarily hilly, I noticed the truck struggled going up hills. I have to floor it just to get it to maintain speed. As far as passing on the interstate goes, I have to make sure I get a "running" start. Our speed limits on the interstate are 75 so trying to pass a semi going 65 takes longer than it should as the truck lacks torque at those speeds. Going from 65 to 75 when flooring it takes nearly 10 seconds anf if there is a slight incline the truck does not accelerate. One of the details about the engine that did intrigue me was the fuel mileage. The sitcker on the window showed 18 city 24 highway. After having my 05 that was averaging the low teens on a good day, this sounded good to me. However, with the lack of performance I average 14 city and 18 highway. I do not drive with a lead foot however, with today's technology and advancements in engine performance I should not be out acclerated by some hippy in a prius.

Overall:
I have been a huge GM guy for a long time and so has my family. My dad bought a new truck at the same time I bought my silverado, except he decided on a 2014 F150 and paid about the same as I did for my new silverado. After being a diehard Chevy guy for years, my dad has officially declared himself a Ford man now. We both have about 30,000 miles on our trucks and his still runs and rides just as nice as it did when he first got it. Needless to say, I am done with GM... I can't wait to trade this thing for something with adequate power and torque that rides comfortably.