2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500

View reviews for a specific Silverado 1500 model:

Some disappointments
By bwalling

2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Z71 LTZ 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

I have owned Chevy trucks for a long time so it was a a given that my next truck would be a Chevy. Truck was brand new off the lot (10 miles). Drove fine and got great gas mileage. Put about 4k miles on it and took it in for recall. Every since then the best gas mileage has been around 19 all highway miles. Plus I keep getting a check engine light code P3444 and then P0306. Been to dealer twice. It stays clear for awhile then comes back. Put 6k on it since last dealer visit and yesterday the light came on which eventually causes a cylinder 6 misfire. This messes up the trans shift which causes the truck to jerk and down shift very hard.

Suggested Improvements

Since the truck runs fine for many miles then all of sudden starts acting up make me wonder if the problem isn't software related. Maybe the parameters they change during the recall are to tight. Will take to dealer again next week. Also shift points could be improved to give the truck a little more pep.

It hurts to write this but..
By chevynomore1

2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ 4dr Crew Cab 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

I have a 2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 crew cab 4x4 Lt 5.3 v8 5'8" bed. I have owned nothing but chevrolet for the past 12 years, and have been nothing but pleased until now. I have owned this truck for three months now and have a total of 5200 miles on it. The problem started the night I drove it home and noticed a vibration, immediately called the dealer and told them of the problem, long story made short the truck still isn't fixed. Not only the vibration but water in the headlights, seat squeaks around every curb, dash rattles and paint is super thin. GM has really been a disappointment. Save your time and buy a better truck for the money.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage is excellent for a full sized truck. Truck has alot of power. Bluetooth works really well. Lots of room.

Suggested Improvements

Fix all the current problems with the trucks they have already sold. Put real wheel wells back in instead of cloth.

2014 Silverado crew cab Texas edition LT 5.3 2WD
By caw6

2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

I've liked chevy trucks for about 15 years. I had a 99, an 03, and an 08 prior to this one, but this new generation has DRASTIC imrovements. HOWEVER, i just turned over 50k miles, and i have had a few annoyances.

Favorite Features

• New DI engines make a lot more low/mid torque and MPG.
  • Bluetooth connectivity and interaction
  • Very quiet interior/no road noise
  • Lower seating position for tall people. I'm 6'2", and i dont even put the seat all the way back.
  • Stronger rear axle
  • Better interior ergonomics and build quality
  • The first aesthetically pleasing chevy truck in 12 years
  • Handles like a sport sedan
  • Better load handling, impressive for a 1500
  • accurate auto-climate control
  • Nice downshift assist feature when towing.
  • Good brakes
  • Lots of room for car seats, and provisions on both sides

Suggested Improvements

• The sterile throttle took a while to get used to, and the downshifts are horribly slow with the factory tune. It also shifts into 2nd gear too soon at light throttle and bogs.
  • goodyear tires were awful, along with every other set of goodyears I've ever owned. so i just lived with the vibration until they wore out at 48k miles.
  • The steering shaft clunks when turning while parked. Dealer replaced the rack'n'pinion with no effect. It doesnt bother me enough to escalate further.
  • a plug wire wasn't seated and fell off when it was brand new.
  • At 47k miles, AC condenser leaked on the side where the drier tube mounts. The part was $270 out of warranty.

Great Improvement By GM
    By David

2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT 2dr Regular Cab SB (4.3L 6cyl 6A)

My last GM was a 2009 Suburban. It was mechanically and aesthetically disappointing and after getting rid of it, I never wanted to get another GM vehicle again. During my recent search for a truck, I decided to give GM a try, mostly just to be complete about my research. I was extremely surprised by the quality and improvements of the new Silverado, so I bought one.

Favorite Features

Fuel economy: Great compared to every other truck I've owned Interior Finish: very nice Exterior appearance: it looks like a truck

Suggested Improvements

refinement of the 6-spd transmission. It is a little clunky compared to similar Ford and Dodge models

Love my Silverado
    By carguyincomox

2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 High Country 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

Moved to BC and knew I needed a truck to tow our trailer. I looked at them all but ended with the Chevy. It was model year end and I missed 1 option the sunroof...but I guess I will live. I have nothing bad to say about my truck all is good - 1 suggestion, see if we can make the rear bench recline a bit for the kids on long drives. We had an SUV before and they miss that feature.

Favorite Features

ummm I like the all. I guess the step rear bumper, lights in the cargo box and my High Country interior!

Suggested Improvements

As mentioned a reclining rear bench would be sweet!