2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Silverado 1500 model:

Rough rider
By Brian

2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 6A)

This was my first brand new vehicle and I was excited for it. I have been wanting a brand new Silverado for a while so I went down to the dealership and test drove one. I loved it right off, it had all the features I wanted and then some. The truck rode smooth and quiet so I pulled the trigger and traded in my 05 sierra. All was great until I hit about 10,000 miles... Ride: All of sudden the ride became rough and everything in the interior began rattling. Running over an asphalt repair strip was felt and the littlest of bumps in the road felt like I ran over a huge pothole. Driving around town which used to be a comfortable and pleasant experience has turned into feeling like I am being launched out of my seat when I hit a bump or go over a small dip in the road. Technology: My only complaint is the bluetooth quality when making calls. People on the other end have a hardtime hearing and understanding me. My wife's car (2014 Malibu LTZ) does not have that issue. Engine: My truck has the 4.3L V6. I was a little hesistant at first, but after test driving it I was impressed with the power. It felt more peppy than my last truck which was a 2005 GMC Sierra with the 5.3L V8. The test drive route we took was primarily flat so the lack of power had gone unnoticed. As I started driving the truck around my town, which is primarily hilly, I noticed the truck struggled going up hills. I have to floor it just to get it to maintain speed. As far as passing on the interstate goes, I have to make sure I get a "running" start. Our speed limits on the interstate are 75 so trying to pass a semi going 65 takes longer than it should as the truck lacks torque at those speeds. Going from 65 to 75 when flooring it takes nearly 10 seconds anf if there is a slight incline the truck does not accelerate. One of the details about the engine that did intrigue me was the fuel mileage. The sitcker on the window showed 18 city 24 highway. After having my 05 that was averaging the low teens on a good day, this sounded good to me. However, with the lack of performance I average 14 city and 18 highway. I do not drive with a lead foot however, with today's technology and advancements in engine performance I should not be out acclerated by some hippy in a prius. Overall: I have been a huge GM guy for a long time and so has my family. My dad bought a new truck at the same time I bought my silverado, except he decided on a 2014 F150 and paid about the same as I did for my new silverado. After being a diehard Chevy guy for years, my dad has officially declared himself a Ford man now. We both have about 30,000 miles on our trucks and his still runs and rides just as nice as it did when he first got it. Needless to say, I am done with GM... I can't wait to trade this thing for something with adequate power and torque that rides comfortably.

Vibrating transmission
By George

2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Z71 LTZ 4dr Crew Cab 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

This truck started out with a shifting vibration at different shifting points. Brought to dealer and told it was learning how I drive. This with a load clonking sound when in reverse also told that was a coupling and nothing to do about. Now at 27K and truck is noisier than ever,told dealer truck has A.D.D. Would not buy another GM

Do not Buy! vibration is horrible
By Ernie

2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Z71 LTZ 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 6.5 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

GM wont admit they have a problem. Truck vibrates at high speeds so much it even impairs my vision. GM has no fix for this problem. DO NOT BUY!

borken down on highway...
By kevin

2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Z71 LTZ 4dr Crew Cab 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

....90 degrees outside 17k miles. driven gm for 30 years 17 k leaves me on side of hiway will be trading off not sure what to buy driven gms so long brken down on highway

Some disappointments
By bwalling

2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Z71 LTZ 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

I have owned Chevy trucks for a long time so it was a a given that my next truck would be a Chevy. Truck was brand new off the lot (10 miles). Drove fine and got great gas mileage. Put about 4k miles on it and took it in for recall. Every since then the best gas mileage has been around 19 all highway miles. Plus I keep getting a check engine light code P3444 and then P0306. Been to dealer twice. It stays clear for awhile then comes back. Put 6k on it since last dealer visit and yesterday the light came on which eventually causes a cylinder 6 misfire. This messes up the trans shift which causes the truck to jerk and down shift very hard.

Since the truck runs fine for many miles then all of sudden starts acting up make me wonder if the problem isn't software related. Maybe the parameters they change during the recall are to tight. Will take to dealer again next week. Also shift points could be improved to give the truck a little more pep.