Used 2012 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Chevrolet Silverado-1500 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Silverado 1500 model:

dispointed
By racerx62040

2012 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT 4dr Extended Cab 4WD 8 ft. LB (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

i bought a 2012 chevy Z-71 ex cab pick up 2 years ago now. this is the first vehicle i have even been able to buy new. when i drove it off the lot it had 3 miles on it and i was very happy. one of the big selling points was the sticker said it got 21 MPG hwy. the sales man said it got 21MPG. i feel they lied to me. this truck has a 5.3 engine. the truck i had before was a 1995 GMC ext. cab 2x4 long bed with a 350 throattle body injection engine. when that 350 hit 180,000 miles the engine had problems. so i totaly rebuilt that engine and everything was new. that truck even after the rebuild got 15 MPG. so i bought this new one thinking it would be better. but it only get 16 MPG at the best

Favorite Features

the interior is conffy.

Suggested Improvements

needs to go back with the 350 engine. the 5.3 has no power when towing even a small utily trailer. i took this truck back to the dealer two times to have it checked out and they said there is nothing wrong with it. this truck only get 15MPG when being carefull but when put my small utility on the truck and my riding mower on the trailer this truck will only get 10 MPG would hate to see what it does with a heavier trailer on it.

No Real Complaints
By someguy8

2012 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LS 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.8 ft. SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

Bought my 2012 in early 2013 with 5 miles on it. At first I thought it was going to be more truck than I needed as I was mainly looking for a way to get a family of four around with all of our stuff. Salesman gave me a great deal since it was last years model. I have drove 22k miles already. No issues. I get on average 18 MPG. I drive a county road to work for about 35 miles each way up and down hills and around a few bends. Fun to drive. Tires are still good, brakes are fine, no noises. Only after market purchase was a tonneau cover to keep the hockey gear dry and a set of nerf bars so the kids could climb in easier. I plan on having this truck for years

Favorite Features

Mine came with the chrome package. While it is a pain to keep clean it really sets it apart from other trucks on the road. I like the ease of the rear fold up seats. Really easy to store my hunting gear under the seat.

Suggested Improvements

I would like to see a storage box under the rear seats. Sometimes shotgun shells roll around. It is a pain trying to get them all rounded up. I would also like to see a light mounted under the rear seat that comes on when the cab light is turned on.

Should have bought a Ford
By blue1966

2012 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LS 4dr Extended Cab 4WD 6.5 ft. SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

This is the first time i have ever disliked a Chevy. This truck has no pulling power it strains pulling a empty trailer. It has a hard time pulling a hill with no trailer. It only gets around 14mpg on the rd and about 11 in the city. It want even spin tires on dirt. there is slack in the driveline that you can hear and feel. I bought this truck brand new i was told the mileage and the power would get better, well it has 26k on it and nothing has changed. The next truck i get will def be a Ford. I have never owned or wanted one until now.

Suggested Improvements

Take the torque management system off, if you advertise 305 hp i do not want you to decide when i should use its power.

cluncking in low gears
By wolf20

2012 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Work Truck 2dr Regular Cab 6.5 ft. SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

I like my silverado except for one thing.This cars drivetrain ir slipyok will drive u crazy.it bangs underneath in low gears on and off.in traffic on the freeway and taking turns and pushing on the gas.Sometimes a hard clunk.Brought it in twice was told thats normal. come on.whats normal about that.

Very Nice Truck
By rider16

2012 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT 4dr Extended Cab 6.5 ft. SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

Bought this truck after trading Avalanche with 175K Miles. Like the 5.3 ltr and new 6 speed auto is a nice upgrade. Truck gets average 17 miles combined and 19 to 20 when doing highway driving. LT with allstar package is a nice combination of upgrades. Really like the ride, solid build and comfortable on long trips.

Favorite Features

6 Speed automatic Radio Bluetooth Bucket Seats

Suggested Improvements

None yet