2011 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Consumer Review: Excellent truck

2011 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 - Consumer Review

Excellent truck
By ldeverel on

2011 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

I do not have the LTZ, I have an LT Z71 4x4 with the 5.3 L and 6-speed tranny (3.08 rear end). I have had the truck just under two months and have 6200 miles on it and am very pleased so far. All of these miles have come with a 900-1000# payload in the back (permanent vet box) and the truck gets 15.5-16 mpg with this setup (I do not drive very conservatively). The truck will downshift into 5th and 4th on steep grades. With the z71 suspension and the 1000# payload, I have not had to add any suspension reinforcement. The rear end sits down a bit, but not even to level, let alone noticeably squatting. Towing heavy trailers with the payload does cause trailer sway, but I don't tow much.

6-speed transmission, mileage, bluetooth phone (I never thought I would use, but now I use for every phone call I make in the truck, which is a lot), remote start (which I never thought I would use, but have used every day this winter). 60/40 rear seat split is great for people who want more storage. I can leave a carseat base strapped into the small half and fold up the rest for huge amounts of relatively flat floor storage. The cabin is very quiet. Using the automatic 4WD along with Stabilitrac gives you tons of control and confidence in mud/ice/snow conditions. Lots of airbags. And it looks great!

It would be nice if Chevy offered a half-ton crew cab with a standard bed, but I don't see them adding another truck frame to their half-ton lineup. Turning radius isn't the greatest, but it's a truck, what do you expect. I hate automatic locking doors, because I know at some point I am going to lock my keys in. There's really not too much to criticize.