Used 2009 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Crew Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Chevrolet Silverado-1500 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Silverado 1500 model:

Power Door Locks
By silverado_sd

2009 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Crew Cab LS 4dr Crew Cab 5.8 ft. SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

The right rear door does not work either automatically when the shifter is taken out of park, or with the key fob, or from the drivers door control panel. It must be locked and unlocked manually, and there is no place I can find that explains what the cause could be, and can't get much help from GM unless I take it to the dealership to have it troubleshot and repaired, instead of letting me do it myself. I am affraid that the other doors will eventually end up doing the same thing. Also the brakes shimmy when going down hill and pulsate too.

Favorite Features

Mileage and driving comfort.

Suggested Improvements

Improve door lock system and also have a recall on the brakes as I have been told by numerous 2009 Silverado owners of the same issues with their brakes. I took it in for the brake problem several times and the dealer only puts brake noise reducer and also says that they can't repeat the problem.

2009 Chevy Lemon
By pavehwk

2009 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Crew Cab XFE 4dr Crew Cab 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

I purchased this truck new with 500 miles on it. Now I have 19500 miles on the truck and I am having the engine pulled out due to a bad design. I went in for some minor body work (2nd bow tie) and the check engine light came on. The oil pressure was all over the board. I had 1000 miles before it need it next oil change. So while i was in there i had them do a oild change. I was told that there was a 1 1/2 quarts of oil left in the block. I was then told that they need to put a baffel in the bottom of the pan. This was after taking the truck in 4 times to do an oil consuption check (it failed). I had to wait to get fixed due to having 5 other trucks getting the samething done.

Favorite Features

None

Suggested Improvements

There was no recall on this only a service bulletin. I had no idea this was going on, they should let the customer know what kind of bulletines there are for the vehicale that they purchased. They can take the truck back as far as I am conserned. I could see if this truck had 100,000+ miles but 19500 come on man.

So far.....great
By freeflowin

2009 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Crew Cab LTZ 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

I bought this new in 2009. My very first new vehicle ever. I bought it during Chevy's big rebate program and it was well worth it. I have the LT2 with leather bench seats. I truck rides down the highway so unbelievably comfortable that I forget I'm in a truck. It is smoother then my moms Cadillac and way smoother then my BMW or my wife's Liberty. I have 38k miles on and the tires are still almost new and it hasn't burnt a drop of oil. Working in the oil fields it has been dependable on ALL road conditions from the mountains of CO and UT to the ice sheets of ND, it has been great. When I had a company Ford F-150 XLT, after my 1100 mile drive to the rig,my back killed the next day, not this

Favorite Features

Came with automatic starter, bluetooth, Sat Radio. Lots of monitors in the computer programming. Comfort. Lots of storage containers and cup holders. Good gas mileage for a bigger gas pickup. As good or better then the Liberty.

Suggested Improvements

Better looking plastics, they look cheap and feel way cheap compared to my BMW. Bigger rear seat, I've never had a problem with it, but it is small compared to other companies. Option to turn off the Stabilitrak and have it STAY off. It won't let you power slide ever (which I understand is the point), but can be fun every once in a while.

Probably My Last GM Product
By elucas78

2009 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Crew Cab LT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.8 ft. SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I have owned Chevy trucks for the last 14 years and kept coming back, until now. We were looking for a half ton crew cab and found this 2009 used in April 2011. Within 2 weeks of buying it, the Service Air Bag light came on. Took it to the dealer a couple times and the computer needed reset and a sensor needed replaced. It happened again, but this time the instrument panel needed replaced. Then last month the engine started ticking. Took it in on August 29th to find out it needs a new cam and lifters. This is not what I expected on a 2 year old vehicle with 35,000 miles. Well it has been 3 weeks and I still have yet to get it back. So, this will more than likely be my last GM product.

Favorite Features

The interior is comfortable and easy to access everything. I also like the design of the front end. The rear doors are easy to get in and out of.

Suggested Improvements

Engine reliability.

First Chevy Truck
By Bill

Owned Fords all my life and liked them. Used up a 99 Ford F 150 with Triton motor and needed another full size truck. Looked at all of them and decided to try my first Chevy and at 10,000 miles I'm glad I did. The new Chevy V8 with 8 to 4 cylinder technology and 6 speed automatic is getting me 20 mpg or better. Blown away by the gas mileage I'm getting with aggressive tires. Love the exhaust note of the engine. Far superior motor and transmission to my last F150 (Triton V8) and much better gas mileage. Very good ride in general and great truck for towing. The manual mode of the 6 speed transmission saves your brakes and the "tow" mode changes the shift points for better power.

Favorite Features

Six speed transmission, great brakes, "tow" mode and down hill rev limiter, gas mileage, ride and comfort, towing capacity, exhaust note, power of motor, fold up rear seats, looks inside and out.

Suggested Improvements

Turning radius too wide, seats collect lint, inside compartments poorly designed, power steering should have more feel, rubber bed liner instead of hard plastic, power rear window should be standard on LT package, mud flaps and plastic barrier to protect rear wheels from salt should be standard.