2009 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Silverado 1500 model:
After only 5 years - too many things wrong with it
By chevydriver2 on 12/05/13 13:34 PM (PST)

2009 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab LT 4dr Extended Cab 4WD 5.8 ft. SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I've enjoyed the truck which I bought new in early 2009. At 1700 miles off warranty, I had to replace rear break cylinders that cost about $1,100 all in. Too much too soon. I've been burning oil like crazy. I took it in to have that repaired. It turns out there is a dealer bulletin on it. That means they did a big repair job for free because I got it in at under 100K miles. Apparently excessive oil usage was a big and noted problem. On the same visit I replaced to door lock motors $500, to rear window switches $250 and a solenoid that was causing an engine light $400. I just think that this is two long and expensive a list for a truck that is 5 years old with only 86K miles on it.

High Milage
By msauerbrey on 11/11/11 12:33 PM (PST)

2009 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab LT 4dr Extended Cab 6.5 ft. SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I purchased this Truck Oct 2009 with 3000 miles. It actually has a 5.3 V8 Flex fuel engine. I drive this truck all the time as a salesman. It now has 110,000 miles on it. I have done nothing except change the rear breaks. I added dual exhaust. It runs as good as it did when it was new. At 70-75mph I get 19 mpg. In town around 15mpg. The truck is very dependable. I have driven other Chevy trucks as sale vehicles and 300,000 miles is not hard to get out of these trucks. However the gas milage is killing me right now.

Rust Bucket
By tred420 on 05/26/11 14:25 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab LT 4dr Extended Cab 4WD 6.5 ft. SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

Transmission replaced in first year. front and rear bumper replaced twice in a 1.5 years do to rusting. bowtie replaced twice... American truck built with cheap Chinese parts

Great truck
By woodrow on 10/30/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

This is a very nice truck, and obviously built with pride and quality. I have not heard any noises, from fuel sloshing, brake squeal, driveline or any other noises. I am unable to achieve the fuel mileage stated on the window sticker, that is disappointing.

Overall Nice Truck
By Steve on 09/19/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

Like the truck overall, however, the passenger seat belt apparatus on the side of the door rattles every time one goes over a bump. The 4 speed transmission did not perform well when hauling a toy hauler trailer (shifted in and out of higher gears and reved up to around 4500 rpm). Got very poor gas mileage while towing trailer (6mpg) and once when stopped engine compartment smelled like burnt oil. ON-Star didn't indicate any problems with engine or transmission and later Chevy technicians could find nothing wrong. Worried about pulling trailer in actual mountains instead of the Black Hills of SD. Don't like the cloth seats, shows to much lint and is hard to clean.

Worst truck I've ever bought
By Eric123 on 09/06/10 18:45 PM (PDT)

this truck is awful. or should i say "was". it seems like the electrical system was built by infants, because I've gone through hundreds of 10 Amp fuses in the underhood fuse box, as well as 2 computer modules and 3 gauge clusters, and 1 electrical fire. finally i sold the stupid thing. i would never endorse or recommend this truck to anyone looking for a reliable vehicle. this truck let me down almost every morning with a dead battery or a fried relay. with the radio off, you hear many annoying faint rattles that make you wonder why you wasted almost 40 grand for it.

What a Mess
By Jim on 08/15/10 19:31 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab Work Truck 4dr Extended Cab 8 ft. LB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

As others here stated, driveline noise, sloshing fuel tank noise and bangs, bumps, thumps, clunks, clangs, uncomfortable squishy, sinking seats, roof line is too low,

Garbage Motors
By Garbage Motors on 07/17/10 12:38 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab LTZ 4dr Extended Cab 4WD 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

DItto, on the complaints, The american car manufactures, just lost me permanently, first i would not chrysler crap, ford screwed me badly in the 80's haven't owned since. All I drove till now was GM, Guess what dummies, no more. Objects and vehicles disappear behind the review mirror, the windshield view area is too shallow (dash to roofline) break squeaks below 5 mph, sloshing fuel tank, drive line clunks, bumps thumps, and the hollow core feeling mush seats lousy.

09 Silverado excab 5.3
By 09 Texas Edition on 07/02/10 15:13 PM (PDT)

I bought my Silverado in 10/09 new from the dealer with 36 miles. Currently I have 8,550 and have not had any problems AT ALL. Not even a rattle. I have blue granite Texas Edition extended cab with the 5.3 engine. My mpg has been 16-18 city driving. I have the LT and wish I would have got the LTZ. Sorry you other guys are having so many problems. Are you sure you're not driving an F150?

Klunk, Bump, Thump, Slosh, Squeak
By Tom on 05/04/10 21:30 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab LT 4dr Extended Cab 4WD 8 ft. LB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Seats are made of cheap soft outer foam with a hollow inner core the compresses. Which after a couple thousand miles turns to an uncomfortable squishy, sagging, un comfortable garbage. Driveline thumps and clunks, fuel sloshes and thumps between 3/4 and full. Brake squeal at 5 - 15 mph braking. Accelerator pedal stick out to far cannot straighten right leg and still reach steering wheel which has a shorter shaft. I hit my head getting in the truck, center review mirror hides pedestrians and vehicles at traffic lights, almost hit a few because i could not see them. Fuel economy poot, cab in too skinny at roof line and roof is too low. seats are too skinny, no under hood light

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended-cab in VA is:

$127 per month*