Used 2009 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Chevrolet Silverado-1500 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Silverado 1500 model:

After only 5 years - too many things wrong with it
By chevydriver2

2009 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab LT 4dr Extended Cab 4WD 5.8 ft. SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I've enjoyed the truck which I bought new in early 2009. At 1700 miles off warranty, I had to replace rear break cylinders that cost about $1,100 all in. Too much too soon. I've been burning oil like crazy. I took it in to have that repaired. It turns out there is a dealer bulletin on it. That means they did a big repair job for free because I got it in at under 100K miles. Apparently excessive oil usage was a big and noted problem. On the same visit I replaced to door lock motors $500, to rear window switches $250 and a solenoid that was causing an engine light $400. I just think that this is two long and expensive a list for a truck that is 5 years old with only 86K miles on it.

Favorite Features

Blue tooth.

Suggested Improvements

Make all the door locks and window switches last longer. And WTF on the oil usage problem. Faster acceleration. Include side running boards for free like Ford does. Chicks and old people can't get into the car without them.

High Milage
By msauerbrey

2009 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab LT 4dr Extended Cab 6.5 ft. SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I purchased this Truck Oct 2009 with 3000 miles. It actually has a 5.3 V8 Flex fuel engine. I drive this truck all the time as a salesman. It now has 110,000 miles on it. I have done nothing except change the rear breaks. I added dual exhaust. It runs as good as it did when it was new. At 70-75mph I get 19 mpg. In town around 15mpg. The truck is very dependable. I have driven other Chevy trucks as sale vehicles and 300,000 miles is not hard to get out of these trucks. However the gas milage is killing me right now.

Favorite Features

Engine HP and reliability!! Comfortable seats. Stance of the 2wd looks like a 4WD.

Suggested Improvements

Gas milage. Hwy up around 25-30 would be nice.

Rust Bucket
By tred420

2009 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab LT 4dr Extended Cab 4WD 6.5 ft. SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

Transmission replaced in first year. front and rear bumper replaced twice in a 1.5 years do to rusting. bowtie replaced twice... American truck built with cheap Chinese parts

Favorite Features

I get a free rental when its in the repair shop...

Suggested Improvements

use better parts

Great truck
By woodrow

This is a very nice truck, and obviously built with pride and quality. I have not heard any noises, from fuel sloshing, brake squeal, driveline or any other noises. I am unable to achieve the fuel mileage stated on the window sticker, that is disappointing.

Favorite Features

Driver info center, steering wheel controls, zoned temperature control, riding comfort.

Suggested Improvements

improved turning radius, better fuel economy, and reflect what is actually on the window sticker

Overall Nice Truck
By Steve

Like the truck overall, however, the passenger seat belt apparatus on the side of the door rattles every time one goes over a bump. The 4 speed transmission did not perform well when hauling a toy hauler trailer (shifted in and out of higher gears and reved up to around 4500 rpm). Got very poor gas mileage while towing trailer (6mpg) and once when stopped engine compartment smelled like burnt oil. ON-Star didn't indicate any problems with engine or transmission and later Chevy technicians could find nothing wrong. Worried about pulling trailer in actual mountains instead of the Black Hills of SD. Don't like the cloth seats, shows to much lint and is hard to clean.

Favorite Features

Looks, engine performance of the 5.3, wide opening of the rear doors.

Suggested Improvements

Back seats should recline a little bit more. All should come standard with 6 spd transmission. Replace material on cloth seats so as not to collect lint as bad.