2009 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Crew Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Silverado 1500 model:
Throttle Body failed 2 times in 3 years
By slamamama15 on 02/18/13 10:16 AM (PST)

2009 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Crew Cab LT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.8 ft. SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

We purchased this truck brand new Oct 2009 with the heavy duty towing package Z71 4x4. We had to put a new engine in the truck Oct 2010, after that problems continued. Dec 2010 the throttle body failed as I was driving down the highway, Stablizer, engine light, traction, lights flashed, door locks when crazy and just stopped in the middle of the interstate. Yesterday 2.17.2013 it proceeded to do it again on the interstate. Second time in 50,000 miles we have had to replace the throttle body on our fairly new truck. We have other problems including 3 window motors, mirror, rough idling, & transamission rough when switching gears. All the work has bene done at the dealers

Don't buy one
By aggieof10 on 01/20/13 13:12 PM (PST)

2009 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Crew Cab XFE 4dr Crew Cab 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

Within a month of buying this truck, all of the power locks went out. Chevy replaced them for free since it was under warranty. Then my rear power window stopped working, transmission is spotty, cant decide when to shift, tpms comes on at random times telling me my tires are flat (they arent). Put groceries in the back seat one day, and the pocket on the back of drivers seat ripped out. Turns out, they aren't sewn in at the factory, someone is there with a staple gun putting them on. Wind caught the door last week, and pulled the hinges away from the body, now the door grinds on the body work every time I open it. I am absolutely furious with this truck. Chevy used to mean something.

Not what I was expecting from GM
By joel1235 on 09/08/12 03:55 AM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Crew Cab LTZ 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

I purchased the truck used in November 2010 with 17K on it and the fun started about a week later. First my battery needed replacement, but then it spent a few days at the dealer looking for a popping noise they never found and is still happening. Next was a rough idle/check engine light. It was fixed a week later. Around 35K the transfer case needed replaced. At the dealer another week. This week the rough idle/check engine light thing started again(40K). An independent shop told me it was the same trouble code as last time, and that the problem was with the piston rings, and I may need a new motor. I wish I could go on, but I'm running out of space.

Power Door Locks
By silverado_sd on 08/01/12 00:10 AM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Crew Cab LS 4dr Crew Cab 5.8 ft. SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

The right rear door does not work either automatically when the shifter is taken out of park, or with the key fob, or from the drivers door control panel. It must be locked and unlocked manually, and there is no place I can find that explains what the cause could be, and can't get much help from GM unless I take it to the dealership to have it troubleshot and repaired, instead of letting me do it myself. I am affraid that the other doors will eventually end up doing the same thing. Also the brakes shimmy when going down hill and pulsate too.

2009 Chevy Lemon
By pavehwk on 11/06/11 14:41 PM (PST)

I purchased this truck new with 500 miles on it. Now I have 19500 miles on the truck and I am having the engine pulled out due to a bad design. I went in for some minor body work (2nd bow tie) and the check engine light came on. The oil pressure was all over the board. I had 1000 miles before it need it next oil change. So while i was in there i had them do a oild change. I was told that there was a 1 1/2 quarts of oil left in the block. I was then told that they need to put a baffel in the bottom of the pan. This was after taking the truck in 4 times to do an oil consuption check (it failed). I had to wait to get fixed due to having 5 other trucks getting the samething done.

So far.....great
By freeflowin on 10/02/11 14:48 PM (PDT)

I bought this new in 2009. My very first new vehicle ever. I bought it during Chevy's big rebate program and it was well worth it. I have the LT2 with leather bench seats. I truck rides down the highway so unbelievably comfortable that I forget I'm in a truck. It is smoother then my moms Cadillac and way smoother then my BMW or my wife's Liberty. I have 38k miles on and the tires are still almost new and it hasn't burnt a drop of oil. Working in the oil fields it has been dependable on ALL road conditions from the mountains of CO and UT to the ice sheets of ND, it has been great. When I had a company Ford F-150 XLT, after my 1100 mile drive to the rig,my back killed the next day, not this

Probably My Last GM Product
By elucas78 on 09/18/11 18:51 PM (PDT)

I have owned Chevy trucks for the last 14 years and kept coming back, until now. We were looking for a half ton crew cab and found this 2009 used in April 2011. Within 2 weeks of buying it, the Service Air Bag light came on. Took it to the dealer a couple times and the computer needed reset and a sensor needed replaced. It happened again, but this time the instrument panel needed replaced. Then last month the engine started ticking. Took it in on August 29th to find out it needs a new cam and lifters. This is not what I expected on a 2 year old vehicle with 35,000 miles. Well it has been 3 weeks and I still have yet to get it back. So, this will more than likely be my last GM product.

First Chevy Truck
By Bill on 11/06/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

Owned Fords all my life and liked them. Used up a 99 Ford F 150 with Triton motor and needed another full size truck. Looked at all of them and decided to try my first Chevy and at 10,000 miles I'm glad I did. The new Chevy V8 with 8 to 4 cylinder technology and 6 speed automatic is getting me 20 mpg or better. Blown away by the gas mileage I'm getting with aggressive tires. Love the exhaust note of the engine. Far superior motor and transmission to my last F150 (Triton V8) and much better gas mileage. Very good ride in general and great truck for towing. The manual mode of the 6 speed transmission saves your brakes and the "tow" mode changes the shift points for better power.

Enjoying my time with my 09
By greg graham on 06/26/10 08:35 AM (PDT)

I've had my LTZ for 13 months and have been generally pleased. Mine is loaded with every option but the NAV. I have been pleased with the overall quality thus far with no issues to note. I'm averaging 15.5 mpg which is great for this vehicle. I love the dash lay out with wood inserts. I do wish the Bose system was a center point system but as it is I'm enjoying it. The 5.3 has good power. I've added so much aftermarket to the truck to enhance my ride. 6 in running boards, mud guards,bug deflector, lift kit for the front (I hated the lower front end) now it looks level across the entire truck,rear wheel well liners, recon light bar for under tailgate, db exhaust system(cool)under seat storage etc.

Chevy LIES about quality improvements!
By Chevy JUNK!!!!!!!!!! on 05/28/10 07:59 AM (PDT)

It was fresh off the dealer floor on 7/3/09. Has been my secondary vehicle for a year now. I just hit 5,100 miles and all the lifters now need to be replaced. The service tech states that the oiling system oils too much so it blows by the lifters blows out tons of white smoke out of the exhaust constantly. To make matters even more disappointing is the lack of a quality and robust 6 speed transmission, it has no clue how to pick a gear to stay in it. While driving if you make it downshift it will downshift and bring the engine to "Redline" or 6,000 rpm and stay there even if you take your foot off the gas pedal for at least 5 seconds.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Crew-cab in NJ is:

$243 per month*