2009 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Consumer Reviews

2009 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 - Consumer Reviews

2009 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Work Truck 2dr Regular Cab 6.5 ft. SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

View reviews for a specific Silverado 1500 model:
Last Truck I will need to buy
By lrdillon on 01/05/15 20:35 PM (PST)

2009 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.8 ft. SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I bought this truck used with 60K miles. I now have over 90K. I have only replaced the battery and tires. Runs like a dream so far, tows great and very comfortable. Hope to baby this for the rest of my life, I just retired. With regular maintenance I have had no mechanical problems with a small V8.

Should have gone with my gut..
By offroadgoonie on 08/21/14 15:21 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

I'm going to lay it straight. This was a solid truck for the first few months of owning it. Owned this for about a year and since purchasing, I've replaced the engine twice, had a transmission give out, and the heads get completely destroyed. "only" 72k miles on the truck, 2k miles on the new engine and about 1k miles on the transmission. Looks wise, this truck is flawless. It's a crew cab, although it might as well be an extended cab with the leg space.. but the interior is clean and looks amazing. I'm mainly concerned because I was told how great gmc/chevy is and how Ford and Dodge suck.. ya ok. Tried it and you've failed so I'm going back to my reliability. Piece of crap. No thank you!

After only 5 years - too many things wrong with it
By chevydriver2 on 12/05/13 13:34 PM (PST)

2009 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT 4dr Extended Cab 4WD 5.8 ft. SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I've enjoyed the truck which I bought new in early 2009. At 1700 miles off warranty, I had to replace rear break cylinders that cost about $1,100 all in. Too much too soon. I've been burning oil like crazy. I took it in to have that repaired. It turns out there is a dealer bulletin on it. That means they did a big repair job for free because I got it in at under 100K miles. Apparently excessive oil usage was a big and noted problem. On the same visit I replaced to door lock motors $500, to rear window switches $250 and a solenoid that was causing an engine light $400. I just think that this is two long and expensive a list for a truck that is 5 years old with only 86K miles on it.

Throttle Body failed 2 times in 3 years
By slamamama15 on 02/18/13 10:16 AM (PST)

2009 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.8 ft. SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

We purchased this truck brand new Oct 2009 with the heavy duty towing package Z71 4x4. We had to put a new engine in the truck Oct 2010, after that problems continued. Dec 2010 the throttle body failed as I was driving down the highway, Stablizer, engine light, traction, lights flashed, door locks when crazy and just stopped in the middle of the interstate. Yesterday 2.17.2013 it proceeded to do it again on the interstate. Second time in 50,000 miles we have had to replace the throttle body on our fairly new truck. We have other problems including 3 window motors, mirror, rough idling, & transamission rough when switching gears. All the work has bene done at the dealers

Don't buy one
By aggieof10 on 01/20/13 13:12 PM (PST)

2009 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 XFE 4dr Crew Cab 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

Within a month of buying this truck, all of the power locks went out. Chevy replaced them for free since it was under warranty. Then my rear power window stopped working, transmission is spotty, cant decide when to shift, tpms comes on at random times telling me my tires are flat (they arent). Put groceries in the back seat one day, and the pocket on the back of drivers seat ripped out. Turns out, they aren't sewn in at the factory, someone is there with a staple gun putting them on. Wind caught the door last week, and pulled the hinges away from the body, now the door grinds on the body work every time I open it. I am absolutely furious with this truck. Chevy used to mean something.

Not what I was expecting from GM
By joel1235 on 09/08/12 03:55 AM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

I purchased the truck used in November 2010 with 17K on it and the fun started about a week later. First my battery needed replacement, but then it spent a few days at the dealer looking for a popping noise they never found and is still happening. Next was a rough idle/check engine light. It was fixed a week later. Around 35K the transfer case needed replaced. At the dealer another week. This week the rough idle/check engine light thing started again(40K). An independent shop told me it was the same trouble code as last time, and that the problem was with the piston rings, and I may need a new motor. I wish I could go on, but I'm running out of space.

Power Door Locks
By silverado_sd on 08/01/12 00:10 AM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LS 4dr Crew Cab 5.8 ft. SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

The right rear door does not work either automatically when the shifter is taken out of park, or with the key fob, or from the drivers door control panel. It must be locked and unlocked manually, and there is no place I can find that explains what the cause could be, and can't get much help from GM unless I take it to the dealership to have it troubleshot and repaired, instead of letting me do it myself. I am affraid that the other doors will eventually end up doing the same thing. Also the brakes shimmy when going down hill and pulsate too.

Built on a Friday
By texas_crowbar on 04/10/12 09:02 AM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT 2dr Regular Cab 6.5 ft. SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I own a 2009 Silverado with a 4.8... Dont get me wrong I love this truck, BUT!!!! 34000 miles had to replace rear brake cylinders 50000 miles had to replace water pump 55000 miles electrical issues, might have to get a complete new fuse box BTW none of these are covered under any warranty's.

High Milage
By msauerbrey on 11/11/11 12:33 PM (PST)

2009 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT 4dr Extended Cab 6.5 ft. SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I purchased this Truck Oct 2009 with 3000 miles. It actually has a 5.3 V8 Flex fuel engine. I drive this truck all the time as a salesman. It now has 110,000 miles on it. I have done nothing except change the rear breaks. I added dual exhaust. It runs as good as it did when it was new. At 70-75mph I get 19 mpg. In town around 15mpg. The truck is very dependable. I have driven other Chevy trucks as sale vehicles and 300,000 miles is not hard to get out of these trucks. However the gas milage is killing me right now.

2009 Chevy Lemon
By pavehwk on 11/06/11 14:41 PM (PST)

2009 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 XFE 4dr Crew Cab 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

I purchased this truck new with 500 miles on it. Now I have 19500 miles on the truck and I am having the engine pulled out due to a bad design. I went in for some minor body work (2nd bow tie) and the check engine light came on. The oil pressure was all over the board. I had 1000 miles before it need it next oil change. So while i was in there i had them do a oild change. I was told that there was a 1 1/2 quarts of oil left in the block. I was then told that they need to put a baffel in the bottom of the pan. This was after taking the truck in 4 times to do an oil consuption check (it failed). I had to wait to get fixed due to having 5 other trucks getting the samething done.