Used 2009 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Chevrolet Silverado 1500

View reviews for a specific Silverado 1500 model:

Last Truck I will need to buy
By lrdillon

2009 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.8 ft. SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I bought this truck used with 60K miles. I now have over 90K. I have only replaced the battery and tires. Runs like a dream so far, tows great and very comfortable. Hope to baby this for the rest of my life, I just retired. With regular maintenance I have had no mechanical problems with a small V8.

Favorite Features

Lots of comfort, very easy to drive on long trips.

Should have gone with my gut..
By offroadgoonie

2009 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

I'm going to lay it straight. This was a solid truck for the first few months of owning it. Owned this for about a year and since purchasing, I've replaced the engine twice, had a transmission give out, and the heads get completely destroyed. "only" 72k miles on the truck, 2k miles on the new engine and about 1k miles on the transmission. Looks wise, this truck is flawless. It's a crew cab, although it might as well be an extended cab with the leg space.. but the interior is clean and looks amazing. I'm mainly concerned because I was told how great gmc/chevy is and how Ford and Dodge suck.. ya ok. Tried it and you've failed so I'm going back to my reliability. Piece of crap. No thank you!

Favorite Features

Interior design actually was very clean, very comfortable. Like stated in my review, I love it.. however if i could change anything other than the trucks reliability, it would be the length of the cab. I could have saved money and gone with an extended cab and gotten the same amount of room! Exterior, looks awesome. I love the look of the Chevy pickups.

Suggested Improvements

I'm not the expert, just the customer.. looks wise, I love it. I would just reconsider the design of the engine/transmission as a whole.

After only 5 years - too many things wrong with it
By chevydriver2

2009 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT 4dr Extended Cab 4WD 5.8 ft. SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I've enjoyed the truck which I bought new in early 2009. At 1700 miles off warranty, I had to replace rear break cylinders that cost about $1,100 all in. Too much too soon. I've been burning oil like crazy. I took it in to have that repaired. It turns out there is a dealer bulletin on it. That means they did a big repair job for free because I got it in at under 100K miles. Apparently excessive oil usage was a big and noted problem. On the same visit I replaced to door lock motors $500, to rear window switches $250 and a solenoid that was causing an engine light $400. I just think that this is two long and expensive a list for a truck that is 5 years old with only 86K miles on it.

Favorite Features

Blue tooth.

Suggested Improvements

Make all the door locks and window switches last longer. And WTF on the oil usage problem. Faster acceleration. Include side running boards for free like Ford does. Chicks and old people can't get into the car without them.

Throttle Body failed 2 times in 3 years
By slamamama15

2009 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.8 ft. SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

We purchased this truck brand new Oct 2009 with the heavy duty towing package Z71 4x4. We had to put a new engine in the truck Oct 2010, after that problems continued. Dec 2010 the throttle body failed as I was driving down the highway, Stablizer, engine light, traction, lights flashed, door locks when crazy and just stopped in the middle of the interstate. Yesterday 2.17.2013 it proceeded to do it again on the interstate. Second time in 50,000 miles we have had to replace the throttle body on our fairly new truck. We have other problems including 3 window motors, mirror, rough idling, & transamission rough when switching gears. All the work has bene done at the dealers

Favorite Features

None

Don't buy one
By aggieof10

2009 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 XFE 4dr Crew Cab 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

Within a month of buying this truck, all of the power locks went out. Chevy replaced them for free since it was under warranty. Then my rear power window stopped working, transmission is spotty, cant decide when to shift, tpms comes on at random times telling me my tires are flat (they arent). Put groceries in the back seat one day, and the pocket on the back of drivers seat ripped out. Turns out, they aren't sewn in at the factory, someone is there with a staple gun putting them on. Wind caught the door last week, and pulled the hinges away from the body, now the door grinds on the body work every time I open it. I am absolutely furious with this truck. Chevy used to mean something.

Suggested Improvements

Buy a Ford