Stay away from 5.3L AFM engines!
By GM_Blaine on
2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT2 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)
I've always purchases only GM vehicles. The latest purchase turned out to be my worst car-ownership experience. The subject truck has an apparent defect that caused carbeurization in cyclinders, sticking rings and incredible oil consumption. The vehicle was back and forth to the dealer for 12 months before I threatened legal action and finally got a warranty piston and ring replacement. The engine had just 60,000 miles at the time of the repair. I have not been able to use this vehicle as i had hoped and I have to look now to trade it in before the rings gum up again in 40,000 miles. GM refused to acknowledge any kind of problem for 12 months!
Favorite Features
The body style and interior are great. It rides well. I love the design.
Suggested Improvements
Replace the 5.3l AFM engine before you chase off any more loyal customers. Don't lie to your customers about known problems. If GM had been honest up front, I would be looking to replace this vehicle with another GM, instead of a Toyota. What's worse is I have also told all those in my extended family to stay away from GM products. I am an engineer who started out in the automotive sector and the patronizing by GM customer Care has tunred me against GM for the forseeable future. I suspect there are others out there that have had a similar experience.
By roknwoe
on 07/17/13 03:06 AM (PDT)

To avoid AFM on Chevy trucks, one could formerly select the 6.0 liter engine. What was a good choice (going with the 6.0 liter--no AFM) definitely worked in the past, but guess what? The new 2014 Silverado's now have AFM in all 3 engines: 4.3 V6; 5.3 V8; and the 6.2 V8...per the new 2014 Silverado brochure I am now reading and holding in my hand. My personal research on the internet has observed "excessive oil consumption" in the 5.3 V8's from 2007-2011, and a hint of it in the 2012 5.3 V8. I do not trust GM to do what is right, but only to act in their own personal self interest as it "hits the bottom line". This will eventually result in a loss of market share...once everyone starts talking about it, and the news spreads across the USA and other countries. Before buying any vehicle, I recommend carcomplaints.com; This is how I picked a "sweet spot" in the 5.3V8 engine for 2006. It was the last year...before they started to place AFM in the 5.3; Our 2006 Suburban with the 5.3V8 burns no oil, while having over 150k miles. What "new" vehicle would I buy? Definitely not a Chevy truck, although they look good! Unlikely a Ford truck, although most other people are buying them. Possibly a Dodge truck, but owning a 1977 Dodge Aspen "turned my stomach" against Chrysler products for life. My conscience would object to a foreign truck. I don't really know!

By entrepreneur
on 06/23/12 08:48 AM (PDT)

I purchased new 2008 Chevy crew cab LTZ 5.3L, noticed excessive oil consumption at 45,000 mil. Still holding 40 to 60 psi oil pressure I have owned 1999 & 2004 models with 5.3L engines and have never had this problem. By far, these are the best trucks that I have driven and owned. I believe its important to stay in contact with salesman/ service manager/owner of dealership until the problems are resolved/fixed. Ask or push for a demo to drive while truck is repaired. If dealer cannot resolve issues, Contact GM and make sure they are aware of the problem. I had to do oil consumption test. Stopped using the computer recommened oil change. Engine is using 4-5 qts every 2500 mil. Started changing oil every 3000 instead of just adding oil. I was told to do 6 oil changes, record milege and record changes on oil dipstick. Garage keep truck for 2 days. The work order states, This may be caused by two conditions, oil pulled thru pcv system or oil spray that is discharged from the AFM pressure relief valve within the crankcase- GM bulletin from 2007. Mechanic removed valve covers and found oil inside intake manifold. Service manager advised me to bring truck back and have engine oil check every 1000 miles. I have been a backyard mechanic for 30 years, this may end up being valve stem seals, piston rings, etc.